8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 2:53 AM by Heidi Ekstrand

InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)

sinse73 Level 1

When I select an image via "place" (or command + D or drag and drop), I get the usual "thumbnail and box" to drag where I want to place the imported image, but when I drag the area where I want to place the image, NOTHING HAPPENS. The box and thumbnail persist! W. T. F. Nice going! The whole purpose of InDesign is to this exact thing and it doesn't work!

• 1. Re: InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What is that area?

Is it on a locked layer? Is it on the page or is it on the master?

What do you mean with box? You need no frame (I suppose you mean it with box) to create before you place an image, Draw the frame with the loaded curser.

• 2. Re: InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)
            sinse73 Level 1

Nope, nothing was locked. I gave up and had to install INDD CS6. I left CC for a week and it worked when I reopened.

The whole CC suite is very buggy. Now when I try to open an AI file (Fle> New), the app just hangs. Spinning beach ball.

I can't believe I pay a monthy subscription to this.

• 3. Re: InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)
              Digitalpiloten Level 1

I experience the same misbehaviour. Have to restart computer (Mac) to make it work. It's outrageous! Paying a monthly fee for this? Come on Adobe! Fix this issue!

• 4. Re: InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

sinse73 schrieb:

Nope, nothing was locked. I gave up and had to install INDD CS6. I left CC for a week and it worked when I reopened.

The whole CC suite is very buggy. Now when I try to open an AI file (Fle> New), the app just hangs. Spinning beach ball.

I can't believe I pay a monthy subscription to this.

I suppose you are opening the AI file in Illustrator and not in InDesign. I ask only, because we are in the InDesign forum and were talking about InDesign, not about Illustrator.

I have never experienced this issue and I am working a lot with CC on different computers.

Can you tell more about the images you want to place, and let us know, step by step, what you are doing.

Alos what OS you are using and what your computer is.

• 5. Re: InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)
                  Digitalpiloten Level 1

As for myself: Completely new iMac 27" (extra everything). MacOSX 10.8.5 as of today. Adobe CC Suite, (no older CS-versions installed), iWorks, Microsoft Office and so on. No strange stuff other than that.

When trying to PLACE file - ai, eps, pdf, jpg or whatever - with drag n drop OR Command + D I get the little icon but when clicking nothing happens. Restarting och force quitting InDesign does'nt solve the problem. Nor trashing prefs. Only restarting computer helps. WTF?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)
                    lkomori Level 1

I'm having exactly the same problem. The only thing that fixes this behavior is a restart, which is absolutely maddening on a busy day. Has anyone found a solution?

Most recently this problem happened when attempting to place a 1.5 MB .jpg in a newly created file - the first thing I attempted to do to the file after adjusting the margins.

I'm on a MacBook, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 10.8.5. I do have older CS versions installed (going back pre-CS, in fact) - which is maybe a good thing because if this can't be resolved I'll be going back to 5.5!

• 7. Re: InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)
                      Dustin07 Level 1

The problem is similar to mine but recently when I am working in Indesign, all of the suden, I can't drag and drop at all.  I mean not even in other programs.  i know it is Indesign cc causing it because it starts right after I open a file.  The only way to fix the problem is to restart my macbook.  This problem along with the outragous start times for all the CC software is completely rediculous.

• 8. Re: InDesign CC does not Import (Place) Images (Command + D)
                        Heidi Ekstrand

I had the exact same issue, started happening yesterday. I have the latest Mac Pro 3.7 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 with 64GB Memory running OSX 10.9.5.

I was about to screen record the issue but had to quit my Chrome browser first because it refused to cmd+H hide, after I quit Chrome the problem resolved itself! So I did not have to reboot my computer for it to resolve..

I don't know if Chrome had anything to do with the issue in InDesign CC, but it certainly seemed so...

I have now opened Chrome again and everything seems to be working fine.