6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2013 12:18 PM by JaysonM-Y

scaling and green screen in premiere cs5.5

scrungy Level 1

Some background.

Years ago we used visual communicator pro to do some green screen shooting.  I frankly did not know what I was doing with the lighting, and got a lot of spill and shadow.  I've been looking for a way to fix this.  I recently bought cs5.5 to be able to do this with Ultra keyer.

I also have VC 2.0 running on the same computer.

Since I don't want to set the background, and since Pr does not know how to import visual communicator raw camera streams (please, does anyone know how to convert these into something that pr can handle)  , I decided on this course of action.

I rendered the vidieos in VC using a synthetic green screen (basiclly a solid green image produced in painshop with a color fill).

I have rendered videos with this, and they have a solid green background with a lot of shadows in .avi format.

I have a background that was originally to be used with each clip.  The backgrounds are  smaller than the dvi resolution of the rendered videos, so need to be scaled.  They may eventually be replaced, but not right now.  I am trying to get these rendered into green screens.  i've watched a half dozen youtube videos and have gotten part way.

What I have done is:

Imported this image into pr as track 1 and the video as track 2.  stretched the image length to match the video track.

I have dragged the garbage matt onto the video.  I have dragged ultra keyer onto the video.  I can play the green screen video.

I need to scale the image. I've tried everything in all the adobe help files and nothing seems to work.  Clicking on the transform icon and twirling the scaling open, I cannot get the handles to appear around the image in the monitor window, no matter what I try.  If I change to the video window and twirl open ultra key and 8 point garbage map, and click on the transform button, the handles for the garbage matt do not appear.  If I click on the eyedropper, I can select the key color, but it doesn't take effect.

I am sure this is pilot error,

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: scaling and green screen in premiere cs5.5
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

scrungy wrote:

I cannot get the handles to appear around the image in the monitor window

Try zooming out on the Program window to 25% the handles might be out of the bounds that you're viewing.

Might Be Out Of Bounds.JPG

If I change to the video window and twirl open ultra key and 8 point garbage map, and click on the transform button, the handles for the garbage matt do not appear

They might be out of bounds as well. Try highlighting the Eight-Point Matte effect... I'm not sure where there's a transform button on this effect...

.Highlight The Eightpoint.JPG

If I click on the eyedropper, I can select the key color, but it doesn't take effect.

Not sure what's going on there...

• 2. Re: scaling and green screen in premiere cs5.5
            scrungy Level 1

Thanks.

The are not there even in full size mode.

I did notice in the bottom  picture that there is a panel between the effects and the monitor that is not in mine.  How did you get it to appear, and what is it?  That may be the key.  If that panel is missing maybe the handles won't show.

I can't really tell in the image.  I saw that same panel on the youtube demos but again cannot read it nor do I know what it is, but something tells me that it may be the key to making things work, because it is the only thing that is different.

(I'm a software/firmware engineer with over 30 years experience in programming, and know that things as subtle as not having the correct panel on the screen can make a difference.   )

One of the things I have noticed in my rendered videos from VC pro, is that there appears to be a gray fringe around the person.  Don't know if I can make that go away.  I think that is an artifact of VC pro.

• 3. Re: scaling and green screen in premiere cs5.5
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

Click on the image it'll scale up.
              Also, that's the Effects Control window. Make sure you're applying the ultra key and eight point effects to the clips on your timeline by drag and dropping the effect on the clip or highlighting the clip and double clicking the effect from the Effects panel.

Effects Control.jpg

• 4. Re: scaling and green screen in premiere cs5.5
                scrungy Level 1

No not that one.  Look at the last image in your first reply.  There is a panel between the effects control

and the monitor panel.  It looks like it has a pink/red horizontal bar selected, and there is a vertical red line in about the middle of it.

I have the effects control open, no problem, but that is not the panel I am referring to.

Clicking on the image doesn't scale it up or show the handles.

• 5. Re: scaling and green screen in premiere cs5.5
                  scrungy Level 1

I have it working.  The panel is the timeline.   In the effects menu you can click the double arrow and the timeline view opens up.  THEN it works.   Go figure.

At this point I was able to render a video.  But even with a lot of tweaking of choke, alpha channel etc, I have not been able to get rid of the gray border around the figure.  It is there in the original rendering from VC and I was hoping to be able to get rid of it. So far no joy.  I did try using it as the key, but that got othe grays in the hair, so that is no good.   I wish where was sort of a spline garbage map that you could use to tighly outline a figure, and then the renderer would be able to track motion and keep the spline garbage map with the figure outline.  It would take a lot of computing but theoretically it could be done.  Or even an auto-trace feature like the one in the old corel draw, which would autotrace an image, making a vector spline out of it.  It would then be possible to create a mask that would follow the motion of the actor.

The shadows and such are cleanly gone though.  So now if I can reproduce the ability to do this on another clip, I have a fighting chance.  It is sad that Adobe has abandoned VC pro.  The teleprompter was a nice feature.

I imagine that I can simulate one using some other adobe tool, but I'll just have to play with it.  I can see that using a good digital camera on a green screen and shooting footage that way will be a better solution.  The only problem is that in the past 6 years since the footage was shot, my wife has aged a bit, so reshooting these shots and trying to combine the good ones with the bad ones, might not be as cohesive as one would like.

I appreciate your time.  I still don't know exactly *what* I did that made it start working, but I am pretty sure it was opening the timeline in the effects window.

• 6. Re: scaling and green screen in premiere cs5.5
                    JaysonM-Y Level 3

For what you're mentioning you may wanna study up on After Efects and Keylight and track mattes. I'll PM you a few links shortly.