17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 10:18 AM by br1d3s

Add cut marks?

br1d3s

How do I add cut marks to a page for .eps export?

• 1. Re: Add cut marks?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only way I know to do it would be to build the cut marks yourself, and make them part of the page.

After saying that, I'll say that exporting to EPS from InDesign is usually a very bad idea. It's usually only necessary to send pages to commercial printers who are still using workflows from the 1990s.

• 2. Re: Add cut marks?
            br1d3s Level 1

Thanks for answering me.  I have tried sending pdf to press but they keep telling me the images are not clear.  All images are 300 resolution.  Any thoughts?

• 3. Re: Add cut marks?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Two things, what is the Effective Resolution listed in the Info panel when you select an image that is coming out unclear? What Settings are you using to make your PDF? Did you specify PDF [Print] (the default is PDF [Interactive] when ID is installed)? Did you get a .joboptions file or set of specs from the printer? Are you using one of ID's presets? What do you see in the Compression pane of the Export dialog?

• 4. Re: Add cut marks?

Also there should be a sample script called CropMarks.jsx in your scripts panel that you can use if you feel you need to add them manually. You can add a slug area to the layout to hold them, then draw a page size frame on each half or the master spread and runthe script to add them to the master. The script seems to be smart enough not to put the head and foot crops on the spine edge so they don't appear on the opposite pages, but it means you only get marks on three sides when you export if you do it this way. If you need all four sides you'd need to split the spreads (see InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine and read down to find the script to do the whole document), then run the CropMarks script on every page.

• 5. Re: Add cut marks?
                  br1d3s Level 1

I am dealing with a printing company in China and the language barrier (not to mention the time change) is making things extremely difficult.  I am lost and appreciate your help.

Here is my output page.

• 6. Re: Add cut marks?

If you want to show us an image you must either link to it on a server someplace, or embed it in your post using the camera icon on the web page lie this:

CameraIcon.png

Attachments are disabled.

• 7. Re: Add cut marks?

And if you cannot get better information from the printer, try sending them a PDF/X-4 file. That downsamples images above 450 ppi to 300 ppi, leaves colors unchanged and embeds profiles, and preserves transparency. It's the current "best practice" setting for a modern workflow.

• 8. Re: Add cut marks?
                        br1d3s Level 1

Hi Peter:

The company I am dealing with does not understand ‘job specification’ no matter how I phrase it.  I am still dealing with the pdf, but I have a different question.  For grey text, I set C0, M0, Y0 and K85%.  The pressman says it comes to him in CMYK.  How do I set 85% grey without the C,Y,M showing up in the file?  I it Pantone, Spot or something I don’t know about.

Thank you so much for all your assistance!

Ann

• 9. Re: Add cut marks?
                          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Export to X1a with keeping numbers policy in CMYK-conversion.

• 10. Re: Add cut marks?
                            br1d3s Level 1

Do you recommend spot color or process color?

• 11. Re: Add cut marks?
                              br1d3s Level 1

Sorry, I meant spot color or Pantone colour.

• 12. Re: Add cut marks?
                                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For the cut marks? Registration.

But honestly, I'd run like hell away from this printer.

• 13. Re: Add cut marks?
                                  Salah Fadlabi Level 5

If your file include spot color export it to PDF/X-4

• 14. Re: Add cut marks?

br1d3s wrote:

For grey text, I set C0, M0, Y0 and K85%.  The pressman says it comes to him in CMYK.  How do I set 85% grey without the C,Y,M showing up in the file? 

First, Unless you intend to pay for the spot plate for a spot gray, you don't want to use it. Spot gray will look better in text, though, than an 85% K screen which will give you "dotted" text, thought there may be some potential for misalignment if the gray and black text are together.

As far as your K only converting to 4-color, that indicates a profile conversion during export, or further downstream at the printer. Without seeing your settings in the export dialog I can't tell you where it's happening. The PDF/X-4 setting will not convert a K-only black to 4-color.

• 15. Re: Add cut marks?
                                      br1d3s Level 1

Most information I can find on exporting to pdf, mentions Acrobat.  I don’t have Acrobat, could this be part of the problem?

• 16. Re: Add cut marks?
                                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Exporting to PDF does not involved Acrobat at all.

That said, anyone in this business without Acrobat is like a carpenter

without a saw.

• 17. Re: Add cut marks?
                                          br1d3s Level 1

I am not even a carpenter.

I appreciate your help.