Advisor ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… including

• regular expressions
  • history lists for both find and change terms
  • copy selection as find term
  • place cursor in find field when opening dialog – the time I've lost when I've not paid attention and FM has interpreted what should have been a find string as a command
  • find/change text+style
TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find/Change from-to any type of tag or style at and below the book level.

For example, change the name of a condition tag or object style at and below the book level. From "Online" to "Screen" in every file in a book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware that this is an old post … But if you are still interested in this (or anyone else coming here through search): There is a free ExtendScript provided by Adobe that can do exactly this: You can download it here: ExtendScript of the Week: Change Styles (Paragraph / Character / Table) – TechComm Central by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one comment on the initial ideas:

… including

• regular expressions
  • history lists for both find and change terms
  • copy selection as find term
  • place cursor in find field when opening dialog – the time I've lost when I've not paid attention and FM has interpreted what should have been a find string as a command
  • find/change text+style

Except for the last one, all these ideas have been implemented meanwhile (in FM 12 and 2015). In FrameMaker (2015 Release) you now have Regular Expressions (aka "RegEx") for Find & Replace. You have a (session based) history list for both the find and replace string (if nothing is selected the last used string is used). If some text is selected and you open the Find/Change dialog, the selected text is automatically copied into the find term. When you open the Find/Change dialog, the cursor is automatically placed in the Find field.

Find/change text+style is not yet implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

There are a few bug reports about this ExtendScript. Do you know whether these are fixed?

ExtendScripts are good. Still I would prefer, if FrameMaker would be able to replace a paragraph tag without an ExtendScript.

And also character tags.

Currently FrameMaker can only replace with a specific format which I had copied into the clipboard, but not with a character tag.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Do you have some links for me where people describe bugs? If you refer to the comments in the blog post, I'm already aware of them.

I have initiated an internal discussion about this very old wish (also an old wish of mine).

Best,

*Stefan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

In your post above:

ExtendScript of the Week: Change Styles (Paragraph / Character / Table) – TechComm Central by Adobe

At the bottom there are some comments and bug reports.

Sorry that I was not clear.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While awaiting an Adobe fix for this I use Rick Quatro's FindChangeFormatsBatch script.

Not free, but I find it invaluable for swapping names and formats for various pieces of a template.

Screenshot 2017-03-09 12.47.27.png

-Matt

techcommtools.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines