9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 7:35 AM by ecr1inf

Scripting for CC

ecr1inf Level 1

Is there any information out there about scripting for CC (preferably AS, if possible), or about the scripting differences between CS6 and CC? In the latter case, I would also be interested in the basic CS6 scripting information.

Thanks!

AB

• 1. Re: Scripting for CC
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

go here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/indesign/documentation.html

no CC so far, I am afraid

• 2. Re: Scripting for CC
            ecr1inf Level 1

Many thanks! So I have the CS6 guide now, but what about CC? It seems that CS6 scripts do not function properly under CC and it's hard to believe that Adobe will have changed things without putting out the relevant documentation.

AB

• 3. Re: Scripting for CC
              Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

"hard to believe" is most popular saying here

however you can always go here:

http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2013/06/so-what-s-new-in-indesign-cc-scripting-dom

• 4. Re: Scripting for CC
                ecr1inf Level 1

Yes, it all seems pretty desperate, adding yet another chapter to the long and widely-read "Adobe Manual on How to Get Rid of Customers".

It's not clear to me yet if the breaking of ScriptUI is deliberate or accidental. If the latter, perhaps it will get repaired.

If I have understood correctly what ScriptUI does, it seems not to explain the problems I have been having, where in a simple find-and-replace script some strings are replaced and others ignored.

AB

• 5. Re: Scripting for CC
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@AB – it's not unusual to have a lot of bugs with a X.0.0 version. I'd never consider such a version for production purposes. What is adding up hugely in the case of InDesign CC is its new 64-bit architecture.

Might need a couple of months, maybe a year or two for Adobe to iron out the biggest flaws…
                  It depends on the development time Adobe is devoting to it.

Uwe

• 6. Re: Scripting for CC
                    ecr1inf Level 1

The problem is that CS6 is not fit for production purposes either, and nor is CS5 -- at least not for what I am trying to do -- and their bugs are likely to stay with us.

I suppose that we are now moving into quite different territory with CC since Adobe will not longer be motivated to leave bugs unmolested when moving to the next paid upgrade, it will be in their interest to kill them off. But perhaps I am being unreasonably optimistic!

At all events, living with CS6 for "a year or two" is not a prospect that I relish.

AB

• 7. Re: Scripting for CC

…living with CS6 for "a year or two" is not a prospect that I relish…

@AB – I think you have to, if you depend on InDesign as a layout composition engine… ;-)

Uwe

• 8. Re: Scripting for CC

@AB … can you expand on "…that CS6 is not fit for production purposes either, and nor is CS5"?

Uwe

• 9. Re: Scripting for CC
                          ecr1inf Level 1

Yes indeed.

In CS5, the use of footnotes causes some pages to become blank, that is to say the text frame on an affected page is emptied of text. This does not happen in CS6, so the bug has been adressed there, why not in CS5 also? In both CS5 and CS6, ID splits two-line footnotes even when the paragraph style forbids it, the solution requires repeated manual intervention and entails style overrides that complicate checks for illicit overrides.

But for me the main problem with CS6 is that it crashes repeatedly under certain circumstances that I am unable to identify or avoid, perhaps connected with inline illustrations, perhaps with tables, perhaps with both. When a page-layout program crashes before being able to produce a PDF, it is not a great deal of use.

In my view, Adobe has been engaged in a what they call, where I live, a "fuite en avant", a headlong dash nowhere, curing some bugs and replacing them with others in a hopeless attempt to make ID all things to all men. The more stuff they put into the program, the less reliable it becomes.

The world certainly needs good electronic publications software, but in addition to, and not at the expense of, existing conventional page-layout programs.

AB