11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 5:50 AM by A.T. Romano

Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11

FlipperSuisse

In Premiere Elements 11, when I add a mask to blur an area of the video, the cropping that I applied to remove a band at the top and at the bottom of the video does not work anymore ???

I tried to change the order of the applied effects but it does not change anything.

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

FlipperSuisse

So that I understand your situation better, why do you have the band at the bottom and at the top of your video in the first place?

Have you or the project selected the correct project preset which should match the properties of your source media?

The project is supposed to do that for you automatically. Sometimes it does it OK; other times, not. That is when you have to set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project) before you import the source media.

If you supply details of your source media I will help you setting up the project if that is the case.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
            FlipperSuisse Level 1

Hi Romano,

The source video is actually a screen capture (1920x1080) and I want to cut out the tool bar from windows at the bottom and also a context bar at top of the screen. Additionaly I want to blur an area of the video.

I found a few minute ago something that seems to work but it will be a lot of a burden if I have to apply that of all the pieces of the video (see link below - Last but one post). I thought I was buying a simple to use software .

If you have an easiest way, it would be welcome.

Regards,

Flipper

Link:http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68871

• 3. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Flipper

Thank you for finding and appreciating my work on applying multiple Effect Masks to one clip. I no longer visit nor answer questions at that forum, so, if you have any questions on that, please ask me here.

Good and bad news. I cannot confirm your results in my Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit. So, we may have to go deeper into the details of what you wrote

In Premiere Elements 11, when I add a mask to blur an area of the video, the cropping that I applied to remove a band at the top and at the bottom of the video does not work anymore ???

What do you mean that it does not work anymore? Are you saying that the Effects Mask effect (blurring or whatever) is gone or something else?

I did the Crop two ways...xf Effects/Transform/Crop with and without Zoom. If without Zoom, I scaled the video to fit the monitor.

And then applied the Clip Menu/Effects Mask with Gaussian or Fast Blur selected for the Mask. Rendered. Everything stayed cropped and the object blurred stayed blurred.

Does your blurred object stay in one spot through the clip? If not, we may have to talk about keyframing the position property for the Mask.

Let us see if we can sort out the details to see how we can get this to work for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                FlipperSuisse Level 1

Hi Romano,

The method to apply several effects in the other forum can be indeed very usefull (thumbs up).

I do exactly what you describe above. But once I have applied the Fast Blur, the cropping is simply not rendered anymore in spite of the fact it is still present in the list of the applied effects.

The objet to blur stays always at the same position.

I am currently running the demo version of Elements 11 on a PC with XP (32bits) because I am not at home.

Let me see at home tonight if I have the same effect with the licensed version running under Windows 7 - 64bits.

I really appreciate your support. That's top.....

Flipper

• 5. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Flipper

Looking forward to your results.

Then we can compare notes to see if we can target the point of difference between what we are seeing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                    FlipperSuisse Level 1

Hi ATR,

Unfortunately, exact same effect under windows 7 with the licensed version

Here is the exact procedure I follow:

1) Drag and drop a single video on the "Video 1" timeline

2) The cursor is on timeposition 0:00:00

3) Fx Effect

4) Drag and drop "Crop" on the monitor

5) Fx Applied Effect

6) Select the Tab Crop and set bottom at 2.5%, bottom 4%, Left 0%, Right 0% (zoom unchecked)

7) Menu "Clip" -> eveything is greyed except Time Stretch so I can't add "effect masks"

8) Move a bit fowards in the video

9) Menu "Clip" again -> Now I can select "Effect Mask" and "Apply"

10) Position the mask on the area I want to blur

11) Fx Effect

12) Drag & Drop "Fast Blur" in the mask

And afterwards, as mentioned in the previous posts, the area I want to blur, is blurred but the cropping is not done in spite of the fact that it is in the list of the applied effect.

Flipper

• 7. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                      FlipperSuisse Level 1

Also tried the same except that in step 2, I moved to 0:30:00

The funny thing is that I have always to move a bit forwards or backwards not to have the "Effect Mask" greyed in the "Clip" menu.....

Flipper

• 8. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Flipper

I will give this another look based on the details that you have presented in your post numbered 6 and report back.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 9. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Flipper

I am not quite sure what I did the other day to get everything to fall into place. Today, nothing was as it was then That was the bad news. The good news (of sorts) was the intriguing revelations that evolved.

I followed your workflow to step 6. I think that you had a typo in that you had "two bottoms" but of no real consequence to the issue at hand.

Step 7 issue ("can't add Effects Mask") was a non issue if you clicked on the Timeline video prior to clicking on Clip Menu/Effects Mask/Apply.

When the Effects Mask is applied by clicking on that Apply, what looks like a duplicate of the Timeline Video 1 content appears on the track directly above the original on Video 1. At this point the previously cropped area in Video 1 content reappears, giving the impression that no cropping of the file was ever done.

1. It looks like what appears on Video 2 traces back to the original on the hard drive not the file that is below it on Video 1, except for the content of the Effects Mask area. More explanation on how I concluded that if necessary. Good enough explanation for the cropped areas getting filled in. But, there is more...

2. If you isolate (ungroup) the top from bottom components here, the top has Crop Panel, Fast Blur, et al in its Applied Effects Panel. Any additional cropping there crops only the Effects Mask. The bottom's Applied Effects Panel has just the routine Motion and Opacity Panel. If you look at the isolated top and bottom, the top presents with the Effects Mask shape with snapshot of area of original that it was supposed to be Effects Masking, and this snapshot is surrounded by black representintg transparency. The bottom presents as the original as seen in Project Assets.

3. If this all started out with the original dragged to the Timeline from Project Assets and then an effect such as the "New Blue Cartoonr Plus Elements" applied to the original, followed by Crop and Fast Blur, the same thing would happen. But in this set of circumstances, the "New Blue Cartoonr Plus Elements" panel would end up in the Applied Effects Panel for the top component along with Crop and Fast Blur.

Lots more to sort out, but for your specific situation, you might consider:

1. Video on Video 1.

2. Apply the Effects Mask for Fast Blur or your choice of Effect.

3. Right click what is the now linked top and bottom components of this task, and select Ungroup.

4. Drag the top to the right, out of the way for the moment.

5. Crop the Video 1 content.

6. Drag the top back into place above the Video 1 content.

7. Highlight both at the same time, right click the highlight, select Group OR leave ungrouped if want that way.

Please review and see if you confirm my exploration into this today.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                            FlipperSuisse Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thumbs up. It works.

And actually the work-around is more simple, step 4 and 6 are not required.

Thanks for the great and highly competent support.....you know your stuff !!!

Best regards,

Flipper

• 11. Re: Crop and Mask in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Flipper

That was great news. Glad that worked for you.

That was an interesting Effects Mask exploration. Thanks for asking the question.

ATR