4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 11:07 AM by [Eric B]

How to update/reload a template in an existing document?

[Eric B]

Hi

We have over 20 indesign document that needs to include the changes that we have done to our template.  They were previously done with the old version of the template, but we need to update them with the new template.  What is the suggested way of proceeding with this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to update/reload a template in an existing document?
          MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Import a master from another document

You can import masters from another InDesign document (any version) into the active document. If your destination document contains master pages that have different names from any master page in the source document, those pages and their document page overrides will be unchanged.

1. In the Pages panel menu, choose Load Master Pages.
          2. Locate and double-click the InDesign document containing the master pages you want to import.
          3. Determine what should occur if a loaded master has the same name as a master in the current document.
            • Choose Replace Master Pages if you want the masters from the source to override the destination document’s masters with the same names. If your destination document does not have any overridden items, it is safe to Replace Master Pages on import.

• 2. Re: How to update/reload a template in an existing document?
            [Eric B] Level 1

I tried that, but it seems it doesn't update everything from the template.

I should have mentionned that the changes we have done were; to add new tags and change the style to tag mapping of the template.

Reloading the Master Page as described above, doesn't seem to add the new tag or affect the style mapping.

• 3. Re: How to update/reload a template in an existing document?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There's nothing you can do to the old files automatically that will update those sorts of attributes from the template. Your documents are copies of the tempalte as it existed at the time they were created and have no link to the template itself.

You can make new docs based on the new template and copy over the text and it might work, or you can ask over inthe scripting forum (InDesign Scripting) to see if there's a way to script a re-tagging.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to update/reload a template in an existing document?
                [Eric B] Level 1

Thanks, for your response.

I was sort of expecting this after all my research, but I was hoping that it would be something rather simple or allready well documented.

My intention is to do it with scripting as I want to process a large amount of files at the same time, but my approach is to first find, if possible, a similar function in the software and then mimic its behavior with scripting.