3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2006 6:47 PM by kglad

Flashing Buttons on windows toolbar

Jim_Esteban Level 1
      Is it possible to flash(change background color or blink) the buttons on my windows toolbar when the flash application does not currently have focus. If you ever used AOL messenger, it changes the background color on the button on the windows tool bar to let you know that you have received a message. I'm wondering if that's possible to do in either actionscript or perhaps javascript.
        • 1. Re: Flashing Buttons on windows toolbar
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you can use javascript to capture the mouse position and determine when it's outside your swf (and over the browser window) and you can use javascript to detect mouse clicks (over the browser window). and flash and javascript can communicate using the flash externalinterface class.

whether that meets your needs for determining if your swf has lost focus or not, i think that's the best you can do.
          • 2. Re: Flashing Buttons on windows toolbar
            Jim_Esteban Level 1
            What I was really going for is some way to get the users attentions in situations when the flash program is not the current program. If your communicating with someone on AOL Instant Messenger and then they go away and you go to another program. If they come back and begin typing another message, when they send it my button for AOL messenger will blink on the tool bar. I guess the question could be asked by saying do we have access to the windows API?
            • 3. Re: Flashing Buttons on windows toolbar
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              no, you sure don't.