2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2006 9:52 AM by Artichoke_soup

Importing Illustrator paths

Artichoke_soup

I'm thinking of shifting some of my web design work from Illustrator into Fireworks. I like the pixel-level control on strokes and stuff like that.

But I'm having a real problem moving any vector image from Illustrator into Fireworks. No matter what I do, Fireworks just rasterizes the file.

I have tried saving as EPS and as legacy Illustrator versions and Illustrator EPS. I am use Fireworks MX 2004. When I try to open these files Fireworks just rasterizes the whole image. There is an options dialouge box but all it lets you change are the dimensions of the rasterized image.

The FW help suggests that you can import Vector images. Does anyone know how to do this (without using Freehand, which I don't have access to).

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Importing Illustrator paths
          Level 7
          Artichoke_soup wrote:
          >
          >
          > I'm thinking of shifting some of my web design work from Illustrator into
          > Fireworks. I like the pixel-level control on strokes and stuff like that.
          >
          > But I'm having a real problem moving any vector image from Illustrator into
          > Fireworks. No matter what I do, Fireworks just rasterizes the file.
          >
          > I have tried saving as EPS and as legacy Illustrator versions and Illustrator
          > EPS. I am use Fireworks MX 2004. When I try to open these files Fireworks
          > just rasterizes the whole image. There is an options dialouge box but all it
          > lets you change are the dimensions of the rasterized image.
          >
          > The FW help suggests that you can import Vector images. Does anyone know how
          > to do this (without using Freehand, which I don't have access to).

What legacy version are you saving your Illustrator file to and what
          version of Illustrator are you using? I don't have access to FW MX 2004
          anymore but I can open Illustrator files into Fireworks 8 fine when
          using AI version 8 files. I don't remember any issue with this in MX
          2004 either.

Have you tried importing the AI file into Fireworks? When doing that you
          should get a dialog with several options. Just make sure the options for
          rasterizing Groups and Tiled Fills are unchecked. You could also try
          copy-pasting from Ai into FW. If you do that, make sure that, in your
          "File Handling and Clipboard" Illustrator Preferences, both the PDF and
          AICB/Preserve Paths "Copy As:" settings are checked.

HTH!

--
          St�phane Bergeron
          reach : connect : communicate
          http://www.webfocusdesign.com
          blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
          http://www.pixelyzed.com
          • 2. Re: Importing Illustrator paths
            Artichoke_soup Level 1
            Yes I worked it out - I tried saving the file as Illustrator 3 EPS and FW was able to open it OK. Thanks.