3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 1:46 PM by Tim Kurkoski Branched from an earlier discussion.

QuickTime Player open while doing a RAM preview makes the RAM preview stutter

BGPictures Level 1

Update: Ooof. Having QuickTime Player open while doing a RAM preview makes the RAM preview stutter. I quit the player, and now the RAM preview plays back without dropping a frame, says it's 24 FPS, but the RAM preview playback is slow: iE, a tenor sounds like a baritone. Trashing cache, restarting, no luck.

system details in my profile.

ug. I just updated to 7/0/1 DL. Hope that didn't make things worse.

• 1. Re: After Effects CC stopped working with QuickTime files
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hey Graham- Thanks for the update and glad you got positive results. This matches what we suspect, that the presence of other audio devices contribute to QT32Server failing. Let us know if anything changes.

Benjamin- Have you had a chance to troubleshoot with the monitor?

RE: the QT Player problem, what's memory usage on the machine? Do you have multiprocessing enabled in AE? When QT Player is open, does it have a file open? Is it a file referenced by the open AE project? What codec are these files?

Sorry to repeat myself, but this smells like a new forum thread.

• 2. Re: After Effects CC stopped working with QuickTime files
            BGPictures Level 1

HI Tim. In a rendering, tweaking marathon for delivery. Awaiting progress bar now, and will unplug my monitor and thoroughly reinstal after delivery.

Regarding QT player, it is open with a reference movie that is not called upon by After Effects. I have not had a QT in my project since this problem arose a few weeks ago, just PNG sequences and .AIFs.

Multiprocessing is enabled with 4GB ram assigned to each thread, leaving 10 processers avilable for other applications.

I did just see 83% of my 96GB of ram "in use" while AE was divvying up tasks between processors on a failed PNG render. Quit, trashed cache files, and now it's rendering using 6% of RAM.

Happy to start a new thread... what would I call it?

Cheers,

B

• 3. Re: After Effects CC stopped working with QuickTime files
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

> Happy to start a new thread... what would I call it?

I branched the relevant post to a new thread (where you are now).

> system details in my profile.

Benjamin linked to his system info in the previous thread.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5076108/BGP%20Mac%20Pro.spx