5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 11:21 AM by Navarro Parker

Shape vs. Masked Solid poor edge quality

Navarro Parker Level 3

Using CS6 Mac here. Ran into this problem. Masked solids with a layer style applied looks terrible compared to a shape layer with the same layer style. The anti-aliasing is really crunchy on the masked solid. And buttery smooth on the shape layer.

Does CC exhibit the same problem?

Shape-vs-Mask-quality.png

• 1. Re: Shape vs. Masked Solid poor edge quality
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this at 100% zoom in the comp window or is it a screen capture from a render?

Is the PAR set to square pixels or is PAR correction turned on in the comp window?

Is the solid layer set to continuously rasterize?

If this is rendered, what kind of compression are you using?

You didn't give us much to go on.

Send me the settings and I'll try and duplicate on CC:

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 2.23.28 PM.png

• 2. Re: Shape vs. Masked Solid poor edge quality
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We only added layer styles to give more fidelity with imported PSD files, not as a primary design tool within After Effects itself. We basically just dropped the Photoshop library straight into After Effects, so we're kind of at their mercy with things like this. Is there a reason that you need to use layer styles here, rather than shape layers and other items that are "native" to After Effects.

• 3. Re: Shape vs. Masked Solid poor edge quality
              Navarro Parker Level 3

...Is there a reason that you need to use layer styles here...

Just the ease of importing PSD layers (with layer styles) that other artists have designed.

Rebuilding cleaner versions of them with native AE tools isn't always feasible. It's not so much that Layer Styles is to blame. But the conversion of PSD shape layers into AE masked solids seems a little janky. Is there any way to import PSD Shape Layers as AE Shape Layers?

• 4. Re: Shape vs. Masked Solid poor edge quality
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There might be an easier way but I often select the path in the layers panel in Photoshop then copy and paste into After Effects. You end up with a bezier path from the Photoshop path that is clean and simple.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Shape vs. Masked Solid poor edge quality
                  Navarro Parker Level 3

Yeah, but I hate there's no link between PSD and AE shape layers. If I modify a PSD bitmap layer or an Illustrator vector layer, it'll update in AE.  But once PSD shape layers are imported, AE doesn't update them if modified.

Anyway... getting off topic. Think I'll submit this as a feature request: PSD shape layers to AE shape layers (instead of masked solids)