6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 7:26 AM by joshweiland

Help with Video Editing

jadden1401

I have adobe CS6 After Effects, On windows 8, and I need help with trying to edit video. I dont know how to even approach this project im doing. Basically, the project is a web film series, were im being haunted by this: http://www.stephenking.com/promo/the_dark_man/trade_hardcover/art.html#i6 and i dont know how to create the "effects" to do it. I have a chromakey green suit for it, and I dont know if i can do the project without it, or if i can create this thing with drag n drop. Basically, I need to know how I could create this in all possible ways with the stuff i currently have.

• 1. Re: Help with Video Editing
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are trying to recreate this hand drawn effect with After Effects on a video then you need to research sketch effect, cartoon effect and things like that. This isn't a drag and drop solution. Duplicating this style perfectly will take a lot of experimenting. I'm not sure what a green screen suit would do for you because you have not explained what you are trying to accomplish well enough. BTW, this is not called video editing, this would be called a Visual Effect.

art.jpg

• 2. Re: Help with Video Editing
            jadden1401 Level 1

No. I wanted to know how to create the Character. Do i need a green suit to make my self a Black Shadowy figure, or can I edit the image of me to be like the Dark Man. I want to know how I can do that. Im not talking about the chalky image, just the character. How can I make/add a Black Shadowy figure Effect to a green suit and/or myself.

• 3. Re: Help with Video Editing
              joshweiland Level 2

Okay, it sounds like you want the character to be black/shadowy, but the rest of the setting to be unaffected. Is this correct?

No matter what approach you take, you'll need to be able to separate the character in your footage from the background.  You would then apply color correction/effects/etc to only the character.

The green suit would work.

You can key it out and fill it.  The problem with this will be the environment you shoot in.  If it's outdoors...there's a lot of green!  Grass, trees, etc.  If the green suit overlaps any of these, it will be more difficult to pull the key.  You'd probably need masks, and to animate them if the character or camera moves.

Another option is rotoscoping using the Roto Brush.  This is tedious, but works.  You could theoretically do this with or without the green suit.

With the character isolated, you can apply the effects that Rick mentions.

• 4. Re: Help with Video Editing
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you put your actor in a green suit and walk him through the scene it is going to be easy, even with a hand held camera. If you shoot an actor in another scene and try to match the movement, it's going to be a lot more difficult and require some serious production planning to make the process work, be believable, and be completed in anything that resembles a reasonable time.

If you shoot your actor in the scene and need to have the actor fade in and fade out you're also gong to have a lot of planning do to. Things like this require either a background plate with matching camera movement, some serious cloning and tracking skills to fill in the scene behind the actor, and other production planning.

First, work out exactly what you are trying to do. You haven't given me enough information to even start to walk into a production planning meeting and map out a plan. Second, decide how you are going to capture the required elements. Third work out how you are going to get the layers you need to do the composite, Fourth, figure out what kind of effect options you are going to use to change your actor into the shadowy figure. The Shadowy figure is the only part of the process that I know you want.

• 5. Re: Help with Video Editing
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Do i need a green suit to make my self a Black Shadowy figure

I would think black clothes would do the trick.

• 6. Re: Help with Video Editing
                    joshweiland Level 2

To be clear, my comment about "separating the character in your footage from the background" was focused on the post-production work.  I would recommend filming both in the same scene and use AE to separate them.

Shooting them separately, with in actor in front of a green screen and compositing into a background plate, is a whole 'nother can of worms.