5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 11:50 PM by Chris Cox

Photoshop CC Vanishing cursor and freezing tools.

Guy Major

Any fixes coming for PSCC when the cursor vanishes (Don't say it's an Apple prob, because it only happens in PS and all 6 of my machines.) Also the tools freeze quite often and won't come back until I touch the desktop. Then PS plays catch up doing every click or hit I happen to hit in frustration.  Help so I don't feel bad paying as little as I do per month fo this. Reinstalled it twice from a clean install. This is not a release ready product. BTW I have been using PS since 1994 to color comic books and with photography.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC Vanishing cursor and freezing tools.
          Curt Y Level 7

Are all 6 machines set up exactly the same way?  Not sure what "Also the tools freeze quite often and won't come back until I touch the desktop" means. 

For a while the vanishing cursor was a hot topic.  Has Apple made any progress on the issue?  Have not seen many posts on issue lately.

A re-install rarely does any good, especially if you do not run Adobe Script Cleaner.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC Vanishing cursor and freezing tools.
            Guy Major Level 1

All 6 are pretty close. As far as tools freezing... I will be usging the lasso and then a brush then go back to lasso and it won't respond. I can move the cursor around but it won't interact with the file or PS at all. Until I click on the desktop. Then it's like PS wakes up and plays a quick catch up of every stroke or click I did.

As far as my vanishing cursor issue I doubt they have, because it is no way an Apple issue. It only happens in PS. For me and about 15 colleagues.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC Vanishing cursor and freezing tools.
              Level 7

MacOS 10.8?  Yes, that is a well known Apple bug that affects all applications (for me it happens in Apple apps and never Photoshop).  There are some long, informative threads about the bug on Apple's forums.

We have notified Apple of the problem, and worked with them to reproduce the error.

The tools freezing/events getting queued is something that we have not been able to track down or reproduce, but behaves a lot like a previous OS bug that Apple fixed a while back.  This one seems to be aggrevated by the use of a Wacom tablet, and we are pursuing the problem with Wacom and Apple (and trying to find customers or drive images that can reproduce the issue).

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC Vanishing cursor and freezing tools.
                Guy Major Level 1

Hey Chris,

Been a long time, I don't know if you remember me. We met at SDCC like 10 years ago. You interviewed me and J. Cox about improvments for colorists in PS....

Yeah 10.8.4 But on 6 different machines and only PS CS5+. As far as the freeze, I would be glad to let ya snoop my screen when I am working so you can see it. It happens about ever 5 min. Really bloody annoying. It is with my wacom. I wonder if it will do it with a Cintiq...

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC Vanishing cursor and freezing tools.
                  Level 7

Yep, I remember you.  (but I haven't seen Jeromy in a few years)

The disappearing cursor bug in MacOS can affect any program.  Unfortunately we don't know all the details of the bug, but Apple is well aware of the problem.

For the freezing/event queueing problem: we're trying to get disk images that can reproduce it, so we can set up a duplicate system here to reproduce it.  It's something we're going to have to debug for a while to figure out the cause.  A few users have said that using different versions of the Wacom driver made the problem go away, or at least happen a lot less often.