4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 4:33 AM by station_two

file changes from more than one user at the same time

FriedaLee

Hi,

two of  my colleauges opened a photoshop file at the same time and both could make changes. Saving the file kills one person's changes, which actually shouldn't be possible. How can this be avoided?

Thank you

FriedaLee

• 1. Re: file changes from more than one user at the same time
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

which actually shouldn't be possible.

How did you arrive at that assumption?

The file when open in Photoshop is in RAM/scratch and when it is saved it is written to disk.

Edit: So that if two people have the file open simultaneously the changes they make have no bearing on the file until it is saved.

And that you seem to work in Photoshop with files from Servers would violate Adobe recommendations in and of itself.

• 2. Re: file changes from more than one user at the same time
            FriedaLee Level 1

Where can I finde these recommendations? For our company - and I'm sure most others also - it doesn't make sense to save files on local drives. One should be able to recognize if the file is in use already when you open it. MS-Office-files for example are opened write-protected or as copy if someone else is using it.

• 3. Re: file changes from more than one user at the same time
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

At the company where I work we also work across a network.

But I am aware that issues originating from this are not Adobe’s problem.

And when we accidentally work on a file simultaneously and one of the users has saved before the other that one trying to save usually raises the alert that the file has been changed since one has opened it.

Could (one of) your colleagues have ignored such a warning?

Where can I finde these recommendations?

A line from

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop-cs5.html

Adobe Technical Support only supports using Photoshop CS6, CS5, CS4, and Adobe Bridge on a local hard disk.

There are also threads touching on the issue, for example

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1033366

• 4. Re: file changes from more than one user at the same time
                Level 5

This is the boilerplate text often used in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else's network remotely, and that's why it's not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See: 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406793.html

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won't work.   It should.

Adobe's position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it's probably the network's fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can't work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you're on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.