10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 10:44 AM by A.T. Romano

No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback

Bagg1ns

I am performing this sequence of actions in Premiere Elements 11:-

1. In Expert mode I import either a .m2ts or .MTS file into Project Assets.

2. Double click the imported file to open it in Clip Monitor.

3. Playback the video.

This results in correct picture and sound playback.

However, if I drag the clip onto the timeline and play it back from there the picture is fine but there is no sound.

On the other hand, if I import a MP4 file it works perfectly from both playbacks.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere Elements but to no avail.

• 1. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bagg1ns

Just to cover the usual for now...

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11?

b. What is the computer operating system that you are running Premiere Elements 11 on?

c. If you have not already, please check the "Clip Volume" setting under Adjust Tab/Volume panel expanded. Is it all the way to the left or other?

If the Volume there is set at least for 0 dB, you should get sound from the Preview Window Set In Set Out point area as well as when you are doing playback in the Edit Mode Monitor of the Timeline file.

However, if that Volume setting is to the left for some reason, you will get the sound in the Preview Window, but not the Edit Mode Monitor. That has been my observation on that. But I have yet to factor in your observation in this regard with the .mts and .mp4 file comparison.

More later.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
            Bagg1ns Level 1

Hi there

Many thanks for your response I really appreciate it.

I didn't have the latest version of QuickTime but I do now but updating it didn't make any difference.

I have Windows 7 64 bit running on an ASUS N56U laptop with built in speakers.

I checked the volume under the Adjust tab and it was set to 0 dB but as you say the Time line playback sound works fine with MP4 files so it must be something peculiar to AVCHD files.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ian

• 3. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
              Bagg1ns Level 1

Interestingly, I just tried the same thing using PE 11 installed on a Windows 7 32 bit desktop PC and got the same result i.e. no sound on Time line playback. So it's looking more and more like an issue with the way PE 11 handles AVCHD files.

• 4. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bagg1ns

I have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit and have not run into the audio problem that you describe.

So, let us look at the following...

1. What are the properties of your source media with AVCHD as the video compression and .mts as the file extension? Could you post a MediaInfo properties readout for it?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

What is the audio compresion and how many channels?

It would be interesting to see also a properties readout for the .mp4 file that is presenting with no audio problem in the Timeline.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you rename the file extension part of the file name for the problem AVCHD.mts?

AVCHD.mts to AVCHD.mp4

AVCHD.mts to AVCHD.mov

AVCHD.mts to AVCHD.avi

and then import the file into Premiere Elements?

2. What are you setting as the project preset (new project dialog) for this project?

Let us see what results from the above exploration.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...another classic question is are you running Premiere Elements from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges or have you right clicked the desktop icon for the program and selected Run As Administrator?

• 5. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ian,

One thing that can happen, when Importing AV files w/ Multiplexed Audio, is that the user does not allow enough time for the Audio Stream to be Conformed - creating the CFA and PEK files, necessary for accurate editing. This can take from a moment, to a few minutes, depending on the Duration of the Imported AV file, and the speed of one's computer. When Importing any AV file w/ Audio, I wait until all Conforming has completed. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3892177#3892177

Also, and especially with AVCHD, and several other tapeless formats, not having the full folder structure available, can also lead to no Audio appearing, when one goes to edit the AV file on the Timeline. One normally gets around this issue, by using Add Media.

Just some possibilities to think about.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bagg1ns

Hunt's post triggered a question that I do not see that I mentioned nor you went into, that is, just how are you importing these AVCHD files into Premiere Elements on each of these computers...

Add Menu/Files and Folders from the hard drive save location - Project Assets - dragged to Timeline

or

Other

Were the .mts and .m2ts as well as the .mp4 all imported via the same Premiere Elements route?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
                      Bagg1ns Level 1

Thanks Hunt and ATR

Here are the answers to your questions:

I used 'Add Media' from 'Files and Folders' to import both the .mts and .MP4 files then dragged them from the 'Project Assets' area and dropped them onto the Timeline.

If I change the extension from .MTS to .MP4, .MOV OR .AVI I get this error message when I try to Add Media: "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

The Project Setting is: PAL-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 25

Here are the audio properties for .MTS and .MP4:

.MTS

Audio

ID                                                 : 4352 (0x1100)

Menu ID                                       : 1 (0x1)

Format                                         : AC-3

Format/Info                                  : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)

Format settings, Endianness       : Big

Codec ID                                      : 129

Duration                                        : 15s 392ms

Bit rate mode                                : Constant

Bit rate                                          : 384 Kbps

Channel(s)                                    : 6 channels

Channel positions                         : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                                : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                        : 16 bits

Compression mode                       : Lossy

Delay relative to video                   : -80ms

Stream size                                    : 722 KiB (2%)

.MP4

Audio

ID                                                  : 2

Format                                          : AAC

Format/Info                                   : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile                               : LC

Codec ID                                      : 40

Duration                                        : 14mn 38s

Bit rate mode                                : Variable

Bit rate                                          : 128 Kbps

Channel(s)                                    : 2 channels

Channel positions                         : Front: L R

Sampling rate                                : 48.0 KHz

Compression mode                       : Lossy

Delay relative to video                   : 17ms

Stream size                                    : 13.4 MiB (1%)

Title                                                : Ambarella AAC

Language                                       : English

Encoded date                                 : UTC 2013-04-27 09:36:25

Tagged date                                   : UTC 2013-04-27 09:36:25

Finally, I'm running PE from a user account with administrative privileges.

Many thanks

Ian

• 8. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Thanks for the additional information. Looks like we have Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio in the .mts and AAC Stereo 2 channels in the .mp4.

Included in what you posted is

The Project Setting is PAL-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 25

Instead of using this project preset, please use

PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i25 5.1 channel

But do not depend on the project to set the project preset for you. Instead, step in and set the project preset yourself before you import the .mts.

1. File Menu/New/Project

2. In the new project dialog, set for PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i25 5.1. Make sure that you have "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" selected before you exited the new project dialog.

3. Then import your .mts into the project via the Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Expert view Timeline.

4. Please let us know the comparison between the Edit Mode Monitor sound and the Preview Windows sound.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
                          Bagg1ns Level 1

That's it, you're a genius, all sound is now working as it should do.

Thank you so much.

I'm slowly learning more and more about this software, maybe I'll have it cracked one day!

Thanks again.

Ian

• 10. Re: No sound with .MTS or .mt2s files during Time line playback
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bagg1ns

Great news. Cannot put enough greats in front of great. Very pleased that the project preset suggestion worked for you.

I have had numerous run ins with Premiere Elements and 5.1 channel audio.

The latest revelation for me in this regard was discovering that I could take a stereo Timeline to an "Windows Media Audio 10" 5.1 channel or "AAC" 5.1 channel export by using one of the project presets with 5.1 channel in its description. More on that another time if you are interested in further details on that.

Continued success.

ATR