5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 7:56 PM by John T Smith

low system memory message

westevee

I get the low system message every time I work on my project now that it is 14 minutes long... and have been getting it since it was about 5 minutes long. It is very discouraging, because all I have is the movie clips. I have not inserted any stills or any of the artsy themes I had planned.

I have recently purchased a windows cleaner application, which has done it's thing. I was hoping that would solve the problem, but it has not.

Here are the specs of my computer. (IT is a new computer)  Windows 8, AMD A8-4555 APU with Radeon (tm) HD graphics. 1.6 GHz  Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.47 usable)  System 64-bit operating system x64 based processor.

The files I am pulling from for my movie were taken from a canon camera. They are MOV files.  The clips range from 49 seconds to 2:12 minutes, and from 50.3 MB to 239 MB.  The properties from one of them were as follows: frame width 1920, height 1080. Frame rate 29 frames per second, date rate 15473 kbps, total bit rate 15600 kbps.

I am running Adobe premiere elements 7, but I have an upgrade patch that was installed.

What is it that I am doing incorrectly?

Thank you and I hope to hear from someone that can get me back to a happy novice movie maker!

Westevee

• 1. Re: low system memory message
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PrElements 7 is a 32bit program, so what MIGHT help is to right click the program icon and select a compatibility mode to make it work better with Win8

But, even then, your 8gig of ram will only be "seen" as a max of about 3Gig for PrEl7

When you first import your video, before doing any work, do you have a red line over the timeline?

ADDED... if you do have a red line over your timeline before starting work, that means a mismatch between project and video... which can cause problems

• 2. Re: low system memory message
            A.T. Romano Level 7

westevee

Your 8.00 GB (7.47 usuable) with your Windows 8 64 bit is not going to advantage you in this instance since you are working with Premiere Elements 7.

Under these circumstances, Premiere Elements 7 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system and as such as the limitations of 32 bits (maximum supported installed RAM = 4.00 GB of which 3.0 GB or less typically are available.

Not sure what you mean by "....I have an upgrade patch that was installed."

Also have you looked at the Task Manager Performance Memory to analyze the computer's memory situation? I suspect that you do not have enough resources for your editing of what appears to be AVCHD video. There is always the possibility of memory leaks, but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

What Canon camera is this 1920 x 1080 @ 29 frames per second .mov coming from? Another possibility is that particular type footage from that particular camera. Have you had the opportunity to look at different footage from another camera in your workflow to see if those low memory messages appear?

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, you might want to download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 to see how your video performs in that version in your computer environment. Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit should be a 64 bit application which can take full advantage of the 64 bit system resources.

Please review and update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I did not see John T. Smith's reply until after I had posted mine.

• 3. Re: low system memory message
              westevee Level 1

Thanks for your quick answer.

As far as the "patch", upon using the premier 7 I was given a message that said there was an available upgrade.  I downloaded the upgrade, and it appeared as a Zip file. When I opened the zip file, it opened and then a windown appeared that said "your patch was successful".

Hmm. So very disappointing to know I own a 32 bit program with a 64 bit computer.  Will I have to buy the Elements 11... and then keep rebuying it every time a newer one comes out?

As far as  the camera, lol. I don't have a Canon. My husband has the Canon, I have a Nikon Coolpix waterproof Full HD 5x wide optical zoom, 5.0-25.0mm 1:3.9 - 4.8 ED VR.

Where would I find out if my video is AVCHD? And if it is, what sort of resources do I need to do the editing?

Here is the info from the task manager under performance memory: In use 2.7 GB, Available 4.8 GB,  Committed 4.0/8.6, Cached 4.7 GB,  Paged Pool 626 MB,  Non paged pool 424 MB,  Speed 1333 Mhz,  Slots used 2 of 2,  Form factor SODIMM, Hardware reserved 542 MB.

I look forward to hearing from you again; hopefully we are on our way to fixing the problem!

westevee

• 4. Re: low system memory message
                A.T. Romano Level 7

westevee

If you have Premiere Elements 10 or current version 11 and are using it on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer, then you have a 64 bit application that can take advantage of the 64 bit system resources. I do not think that Adobe with regress on tht feature moving forward. I do not work for Adobe so I have no insider information on it or its products. I am just a user of the programs with an overactive troubleshooting gene.

I did not see that you mentioned a specific Nikon Coolpix model. I am guessing that it might be the Coolpix. AW100?

If so, you are probably shooting AVCHD 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 progressive frames per second, with file extension of .mov.

I am still trying to figure out what your "upgrade" for Premiere Elements 7 is. There was a 7.0.3 update for version 7. I suspect that it had to do with non video editing matters related to the program.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4611

I suspect that the resource issues that I mentioned are involved in your low memory messages. Could be others as well.

How do you feel abou the following, for only troubleshooting at this point....

a. Keep your Premiere Elements 7 installed but closed.

b. Download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 from Adobe. With it repeat the projects that you have been trying to run with Premiere Elements 7. Do you still get the low memory messages? The only downside to this plan is that version 11 has a markedly different interface than that of versions earlier than it. But you should be able to get into step with those changes quickly. There should be a new version of the program being released soon (not sure when), But version 11 as a troubleshooting tool here should give us some valuable information.

If you decide to try this plan, we can go through Premiere Elements 11 settings to expedite you through the troubleshooting.

Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: low system memory message
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Where would I find out if my video is AVCHD?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/