5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 9:14 AM by Rick Gerard

Working with AE & C4D cameras

Marc Lucas Level 1

I'm trying to get my head around how AE is dealing with C4D camera data and trying to get used to working with both cams at the same time.

I set up a very small C4D project brought it into AE all I wanted to do is sync the camera position of the C4D cam with an additional cam in AE. I quickly realised that I had to zero out the co-ordinates of the AE camera so it was in the same position of the C4D camera I setup (co-ordinates in C4D 0,0,0)

Then I just set up a couple of position keyframe moves so both cams would work together. The problem I had/have is that when you are working with Cineware you only get the option to view through a specific cam so in the project files I have enclosed can someone explain what is going on? Can you not keyframe the C4D cam in AE?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a27n7l89h2m36ou/Cube_Cam_AE.aep.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2v8mr432wpywq5f/CUBE_CAM_TEST.c4d.zip

• 1. Re: Working with AE & C4D cameras
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have a camera in C4d and you want to use that camera in AE simply extract the camera. It's a single click. Adding an additional camera and trying to sync it up with movement in C4D is unnecessary.

There are a bunch of tutorials on using C4d in AE. To find them just type C4D or C4D camera in the Search Help field in the upper right corner of AE. You'll be amazed at what you will find.

• 2. Re: Working with AE & C4D cameras
            Marc Lucas Level 1

Hi Rick

Yes I'm fully aware of the way to extract data via Cineware thats not the question. It was how they camera data interacts with AE cameras and why after keyframing the position of a C4D camera in AE didn't have any effect.

• 3. Re: Working with AE & C4D cameras

If you extract a C4D camera and the animation didn't come in to AE then you did something wrong, probably in C4D. Once you extract the camera you have to make sure USE AE camera is selected. Everything should work then.

Walk through the tutorials, check your workflow and get back to us. I do this kind of thing almost every day. Set-up a C4D project, animate inside C4D, extract the C4D camera, select use AE camera, and then proceeded with my work. It works every time.

• 4. Re: Working with AE & C4D cameras
                Marc Lucas Level 1

Everything does work and all the information has carried over. If you have a look at the project files you will see what I mean.

My question was was that I have key framed a position move on the C4D cam and nothing animates (whilst in Comp Cam view)

I wanted to animate the C4D camera (within AE which I don't think you can do?) and then switch the AE camera further down the timeline and continue the animation.

• 5. Re: Working with AE & C4D cameras

You can extract the c4d camera, use the c4d camera extracted c4d camera and add or change the motion inside AE by either moving the camera or attaching it to a null. I'm not seeing the problem. Here's a screenshot of the workflow, set up a scene in C4D, animate the camera in C4D, Set the output in C4D to Camera, Extract the camera in AE, Use the comp camera, Reveal the keyframes:

c4d.jpg

If you want to put that camera movement back into C4D after you have edited it then you use the CompCamera into C4D and it will put the animation from AE back into C4D as another camera.