6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 8:29 AM by MadDash_Jason

Can't move clips

Frustrated Editor

In Premier... I can't move a clip between tracks or drag and drop an effect on the head of the clip.  I can RIPPLE delete.... but other functions don't respond.  It is as if I am using the wrong tool.... or the track is locked.  I have been working on this project for a week with no problem.  I updated from the cloud... and it fixed it for about 10 minutes.  Photoshop is affected too... as I can't open any picture... and NEW does not open a new canvas.

I have rebooted... computer is about 2 weeks old... everything was working since day one.. but I'm dead in the water now.

• 1. Re: Can't move clips
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Are you moving the clips with the mouse or keyboard shortcut?

What exactly happens when you try dragging an effect to a clip?

Photoshop has a separate forum.

• 2. Re: Can't move clips
            Frustrated Editor Level 1

I move with the mouse.  

I rebooted... and it worked for another 10 minutes... and then failed when I highlighted 1 picture/sound clip and tried to move it 'up' one track. Double checking Photoshop...  before I rebooted.... confirms that I can't create a 'new' canvas.  I get the NEW properties box... and when I say yes... the box goes away... .and nothing is created.  

I rebooted... I moved the clip successfully ... then went immediately to Photoshop and had the same problem trying to open a file or building a NEW canvas.   Rebooting again now... hope to hear from you shortly! 

[Kevin Monahan: Edited for formatting]

• 3. Re: Can't move clips
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Be specific about what happens when you try moving and it doesn't work.  Also the effects.

• 4. Re: Can't move clips
                MadDash_Jason

I think I'm having the same problem, too, although it only happens on some clips. 

Specifically, I'm having a problem with a dynamic-linked AE comp.

I am replacing a title that I have on the timeline with this comp (the title was a placeholder), so I drag it into V4, while the placeholder is in V3.  Then, I go ahead and match up the opacity keyframes, and delete the placeholder title on V3. 

I wanted to move the comp from V4 to V3, but it's stuck.  Literally will not move.  I try dragging it anywhere, and it won't drag.  It can be deleted.  Opacity can be manipulated.  It just won't physically move when I click and drag.

This only happens sometimes, but it's not the first time I've noticed it.

• 5. Re: Can't move clips
                  Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've just had this, clicking on the track selection (V1, V2 etc.) to select the track cured it.

• 6. Re: Can't move clips
                    MadDash_Jason Level 1

Thank you!  The next time it happens I'll try that out.