2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 7:48 AM by johnrellis

Detecting if Auto Tone has been applied?

johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

An Any Filter user would like to find images for which Auto Tone has been applied.

Is there any way for a plugin using the SDK APIs to detect this?  Looking closely at photo:getDevelopSettings(), it appears that Auto Tone adjusts all the individual develop settings but doesn't leave any indication that it was invoked, as opposed to the user changing those settings individually.  The develop history records this, but there isn't any API for accessing the history, and I don't think accessing the catalog via SQL is viable for my use case. 

• 1. Re: Detecting if Auto Tone has been applied?
          areohbee Level 5

Hi John,

I can't think of a single thing that would be reasonable enough to actually do - sorry.

I mean, I've done plugins which rely on a shadow-copy of the catalog created upon startup, but it's admittedly tacky.

e.g. User instructions:

* Make a copy of the catalog before starting up

* then don't auto-tone anything before doing the search (or restart Lightroom..).
          (then you can rely on edit-history for the auto-tone setting).

Obviously you could automate that somewhat - if user selects "Auto Tone" in their filter, then you write a startup batch file and have user startup using it before searching, etc..

(or I suppose you could just find the most recent catalog in the catalog backup folder...)

PS - SQLiteroom has an option to make the shadow copy upon startup, which I use in the DevHistoryEditor plugin.

I mean #2, you could auto-tone a virtual copy then compare settings to the original - odds are very low user would come up with exact same settings as auto-toner (I know, yuck..). then there's the vcopies to dispose of..

Will let you know if I think of anything slicker.

Cheers,

Rob

• 2. Re: Detecting if Auto Tone has been applied?
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Thanks, that was my suspicion.