6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 8:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Saving Individual Clips in Premiere Elements 11

JRawkSteady

Hi all -

In Adobe Premiere Elements 11, after cutting a large video clip into many smaller clips and then renaming them, how do you go about saving each individual clip, so I can easily edit them?  I feel like I've looked everywhere and can't seem to figure it out. 

Thanks!!

Jerry

• 1. Re: Saving Individual Clips in Premiere Elements 11
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on the format you're working in.

There's an ideal format for a standard definition workflow ( the DV-AVI) and a different ideal format for a high-def workflow (the AVCHD 1920x1080 M2T).

Which are you working in and how do you plan to ultimately share your movie (BluRAy, DVD, YouTube, etc.)? Once we know that, we can show you the best workflow for your particular needs.

• 2. Re: Saving Individual Clips in Premiere Elements 11
            JRawkSteady Level 1

Working in dv-avi.  i will be sharing via both DVD and YouTube...  I would like to save each individual file so I can go back and forth between shots and takes.  Thank you for your quick response!

• 3. Re: Saving Individual Clips in Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

JRawkSteady

Please review my following blog post which includes trimming of video in Preview Window Set In Set Out area and then dragging the trim to the Timeline AND/OR saving a subclip of the trim in Project Assets.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Saving Individual Clips in Premiere Elements 11
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

To output DV-AVI of your finished segments, use Publish & Share, Computer, AVI (or MOV on a Mac -- the files are virtually the same).

You'll then be able to combine each finished segment in a larger project.

• 5. Re: Saving Individual Clips in Premiere Elements 11
                  JRawkSteady Level 1

Thanks so much for your response!  I've been using this method since July...however, it involves me doing many extra steps.   Let me explain what I'd like to be able to accomplish:

I filmed the video and audio separately for the webseries I am working on.  After separating the clips by slate and then syncing up the audio, I would like to be able to save each individual clip as a separate file.  OR I'd like to be able to organize the separate clips within the program, so I can pick and choose which shots I'd like to use. 

The issue with your method is that you can only use the original clip with the original audio.  But since I have to ADD audio, this does not work.  I also tried to drag the file up to "Project Assets" but it will not let me do that either.  I have not had this problem in any past editing software.  When making a video/show this seems like a very basic thing.  I cannot believe the only way to organize these files is by Publishing it and then having to cut it up again within the program.  There HAS to be another way that I am missing.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much!!

-Jerry

• 6. Re: Saving Individual Clips in Premiere Elements 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jerry

My first impression is cannot do. But, let me think about this.

Two major tasks...

a. Even if we could get the "grouped" video/audio into Project Assets with a copy/paste insert with ClipMate

then the next challenge would be

b. How do we get the Preview Window with the Set In and Set Out points to deal with a grouped rather than linked video audio. It will not do that when the grouped video and audio are on the Timeline....we could do non Preview Window trimming at the Timeline level

Think it worthwhile to download ClipMate to see how far we would get for this purpose of

a. generating segments of grouped video and audio?

b. pasting them into Project Assets where they would function as source media in or out of folders there?

I suspect this is going to go the old fashion way of exporting the segments to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then bringing those segments back into a grand project for the final export..

ClipMate, I believe, is a Windows only program. What computer operating system are you running your Premiere Elements 11 on?

More later.

ATR