9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2013 2:25 PM by fgregor

Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install

MPDAEF Level 1

Extension mgr CC is installed; Exchange extension is enabled.  BUT, in PS CC, the exhange panel links are dead (the panel opens but doesn't seem live).  In PS CS6, the previous extensions are fine, but no new ones will install, though they seem to download.  The only error message I get in CS6 is that the installation failed and I should close Exchange and try again.  That doesn't help.  I get no error message in CC.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  I've posed a similar question elsewhere but received no answers thus far.

(Running Windows 7, 64-bit)

• 1. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
          lesavage Adobe Employee

Hello,

A couple of questions to help determine what is going wrong:

1) what versions of extension manager CC and CS6 do you have installed?

2) what version of the panel do you have installed? For CC you can check this by going to program files/common files/adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions/adobeexchange/csxs/manifest.xml. In CS6 go to the common files directory but look in CS6ServiceManager directory instead. I would expect both panels to have a version of 1.0.0

3) when you say the links are dead, what links? The tabs, product info or the download links?

Thanks in advance,

Lea

• 2. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
            MPDAEF Level 1

Hi, Lea,

Thanks for responding.  Yes, both panels seem to be version 1.0.   The

extension manager is the one I just (today) downloaded from the CC

downloads site.  I had been having download/update problems, so this

morning I uninstalled and cc-cleaned all the CC apps, including desktop

link, and reinstalled the four or so that I use.  This didn't change the

behavior of the Exchange panels in either version.  Everything else seems

to be working normally.

If the web site isn't misleading, shouldn't the new CC extension manager

replace the CS6 one and work for both programs?  I do still have the CS6

ext mgr in my program list, but clicking it doesn't open anything,  Neither

does the exe file in the file location for the CS6 ext mgr.  Should I be

deleting these manually?  I don't want to destroy any CS6 software that I

can't replace.

As to what doesn't work in CC Exchange:  when the panel opens, it becomes

white and then changes to the black welcome panel, saying that there's an

available update in PS.  (There isn't; PS CC is up to date.)  Nothing in

that welcome panel is live except for the little menu at upper right that

has links to launch or install ext. mgr or access help, etc. The other

items in the pre-installed Extensions (Kuler, Mini-Bridge) seem fine.

In CS6, Exchange panel opens normally and connects to the extensions I

already have.  The tabs are live, as are the download links.  BUT, a

selected extension will download but never complete installing.

Eventually, the "moving circle" stops, and I get a "try again" message.

Sounds to me as though there's a corruption somewhere in the CS6 version.

What do you think?

Gail

• 3. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
              lesavage Adobe Employee

Hi Gail,

When working in CS6 you require CS6 Extension Manager.

When working in CC you require CC Extension Manager but this is optional. When Extension Manager CC is required the panel will prompt you to download the latest version from the CC desktop client.

FYI, if you ever need to reinstall a CS6 point product then in creative.adobe.com, you can choose CS6 from a drop down menu:

cs6_illustrator.png

In terms of CS6, it sounds like your Extension Manager CS6 could be corrupted considering it will not let you launch the application. I would recommend uninstalling Extension Manager CS6 and downloading it again from http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em6_download.html

In terms of CC, can you confirm that the manifest file shows the following as I would not expect you to see the update message if you had the 1.0.0 panel installed.

ExtensionBundleVersion="1.0.0"

I look forward to hearing from you,

Lea

• 4. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
                MPDAEF Level 1

I do appreciate your help.  Your suggestions make sense entirely, but the

problems have multiplied.  Unfortunately, I'm going to have to call

Customer Service, and spend the necessary hours! to get this fixed.

I did uninstall (and cleaner tool) Ext Mgr CS6, but it won't re-install.

(Installer says to use the Support Advisor, which says to use the cleaner

tool to remove the Ext MrgEXCEPT it is no longer on the Cleaner listor

anywhere else in my computer that I can find.)   Also, while all the CC

apps I un- and re-installed yesterday are working, the two big ones failed

to do their updates last evening.  I have tried to find and work with the

error codes, but the instructions and links are either not to be found or

not workable.  (I.e., the error codes--and the tech notes about

them--aren't to be found through any of the links Adobe provides in its

help or search instructions.  I'm sure they are there somewhere, but Adobe

doesn't make it possible, for me at least, to find them.)

Again, thank you.  I'm a little frustrated with Adobe.  I spent about 30

hours earlier this year with Adobe tech support in order to solve a problem

that was, finally, entirely the fault of an Adobe server.  So you can see

why I'm not eager to make that phone call.

Gail

• 5. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
                  fgregor Adobe Employee

Hi Gail,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. While CC product updates failing to install is not something we can personally help with, for problems with Adobe Exchange and Extension Manager I think that these forums are probably the most appropriate place to get help. Adobe Exchange is a relatively new service that is changing quickly, and engineers from the Adobe Exchange and Extension Manager teams check these forums on a daily basis. Lea and I are engineers working on Adobe Exchange (including the servers) so we may be able to work out what the problem is without you needing to call tech support.

Note that you can download the cleaner tool here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

If you're struggling to install Extension Manager CS6 after having uninstalled it, can you check for the following folders and move them to your Recycle Bin them if they exist?

C:\Users\<username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS6

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Extension Manager CS6

After then downloading and installing Extension Manager CS6 from the link Lea shared,

http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em6_download.html

...if you still get an error code, please let us know which code it is so that we can find out what it means.

By the way, you said that you don't want to "destroy" any CS6 software you can't replace - but if you do need to ever re-download/install CS6 products, you can always get CS6 versions from https://creative.adobe.com/products as a Creative Cloud member.

Hope this helps you to get a little further.

Best wishes,

Fraser

• 6. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
                    MPDAEF Level 1

Ok.  I followed your suggestions.  I also found in the AppData an Extension

Manager 7.0 (no indication of CC or CS) and deleted it, too.  I assume this

was ok to do.

It took some time and fiddling to extract and install, but that seems to

have worked.  I believe the Ext Mgr works, but it gets hung up trying to

download extensions.  That is, when I open it, it gets about 2/3 across the

"loading extensions" bar and then freezes (I have to use task mgr to close

it).

I think it's Adobe Exchange that may be the problem.  In PS CS6, the items

already in the ext. mgr seem to work (e.g., Kuler, Paper Texture Pro), but

the Exchange extension itself opens only a black panel and doesn't respond

in any way. (See below for more info.)

In PS CC, the Kuler and Mini Bridge extension work normally, I think, but

the Exchange panel opens (blank) and can't be closed until an error message

appears that the command couldn't be completed because "the extension could

not be loaded."

When the CS6 Ext Mgr gets hung up, and the Task Mgr is used to close it,

the Tsk Mgr offers the following details.  Maybe they'll be helpful.  I'd

be most grateful if you could solve this Exchange problem, so I'd have to

be concerned only with failed updates, which I'm sure are fairly common

these days.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1

Application Name:    Adobe Extension Manager CS6.exe

Application Version:    6.0.7.0

Application Timestamp:    51e3622d

Hang Signature:    dd44

Hang Type:    6144

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Hang Signature 1:    dd44f1ebbff1fe5ee45288b3764bd45d

Additional Hang Signature 2:    b388

Additional Hang Signature 3:    b38839b95fa5ad913a4739800c351dec

Additional Hang Signature 4:    dd44

Additional Hang Signature 5:    dd44f1ebbff1fe5ee45288b3764bd45d

Additional Hang Signature 6:    b388

Additional Hang Signature 7:    b38839b95fa5ad913a4739800c351dec

Many thanks.

Gail

• 7. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
                      lesavage Adobe Employee

Hi Gail,

Could you send the following information to me at lesavage at adobe dot com.

- Screenshot of what the Exchange Panel looks like in CS6 when loaded, e.g. a screenshot of the blank panel

- Send the above error report so I can forward it onto the Extension Manager team

- Can you enable the Extension Manager CS6 logs as outlined at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4275082#4275082 so I can forward them onto the Extension Manager team to determine why the application is hanging.

- Adobe Exchange log which is located at: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Exchange\AdobeExchange.log

Thanks in advance,

Lea

• 8. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
                        MPDAEF Level 1

Hi, fgregor,

I have finally gotten the original problems solved (as of Aug 2), but I'd like to comment on your "you can always get CS6 versions" as a CC member.  I've been to the link, which takes one to downloads page, and I don't see any way of downloading a CS6 app.  I've been looking to replace Muse CS6, and all that's offered is Muse CC.  I checked one or two other apps as well, in case this is a Muse situation only.  What am I missing?

Gail

• 9. Re: Dead links in CC Exchange Panel; in CS6 extensions don't install
                          fgregor Adobe Employee

Hi Gail,

Glad to hear your original problems are now solved - thanks for letting us know.

As for downloading CS6 apps - the reason you can't get an older version of Muse through the Creative Cloud website is probably that Muse was not released with CS6 - see http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/cs6/faq.html for a list of what was included with CS6.

You can get apps which were part of CS6 by going to their product page, and then selecting the CS6 version from the dropdown just under "In this version":

cs6.png

Hope this helps.

Fraser