14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2016 1:00 PM by MorganLewis

How long does it take to open photoshop?

phthalojohan Level 1

When I was using Photoshop 7 on Windows 7, the program would take a while to launch (say around 1min). When I got Photoshop CC, the same pretty much is happening. No complaints here, I can go get a cup of tea in the meantime. But I did notice that on some forums people say it just takes them about 1~5 seconds to launch photoshop, so I was wondering how long should I expect it to take?

• 1. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
          Curt Y Level 7

I have a 2 year old machine and CS6 takes about 12 seconds to load.  Much depends on your computer and hard drive speed.

• 2. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
            Level 5

CS6 launches in about five seconds to load on my six-year-old 65-lb Mac Pro.

Intel Xeon Mac_Pro1,1 [late 2006 model, built in August of 2007] 2.66 GHz Quad; 16 GB RAM; mutant/flashed, factory-overclocked 875/1225 "Apple PowerColor" ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 GB of GDDR5VRAM driving side-by-side dual 22" CRT monitors in Extended-Desktop mode; Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8 boot drives; intrusive Spotlight and frivolous Dashboard permanently disabled; USB wireless 'n' available but connected to the Internet and networked via wired Ethernet

• 3. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop startup time varies. When you add thing to Photoshop the startup increases.  When you add a lot of Plug-ins and Script startup takes longer. For some scanning and initializing needs to be done to these.  If you watch Photoshop splash screen you can seen what being done during startup. You may seen some processing taking a long time. You may want to note what taking time.  I also notice some delay before I can open a new document.  Photoshop seems to need a few seconds to rest before it will open anything. I have a good windows 7 workstation and have added quite a few scripts and a plug-in or two. CS6 takes  5 to 10 seconds to start.

• 4. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                Level 7

If it takes more than 15 seconds to launch, something is wrong on your system.

Lots of added plugins or presets can slow the launch, but generally not by a lot.

Corrupt OS font caches or slow OS APIs can cause problems, and slow hard disks.  Sometimes slow network volumes can cause slow launches (because just asking "is this drive local or remote" takes a while due to bad drivers).

And with an SSD, Photoshop normally launchs in under a second.

• 5. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

What kind of system do you see 1 second startups on, Chris?

It takes just under 3 seconds for me (to the workspace being completely shown).  Photoshop CC is ever so slightly faster to start than Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

• 6. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                    phthalojohan Level 1

Aw man, it sounds like my computer definitely is slow.

I don't believe it should be plugins or presents. When I installed photoshop CC, I asked the installer not to migrate my preferences from photoshop 7. The only changes I  did relates to scratch disk and performance preference (I increased the ram it used to the upper limit of recommended amount). I also added some patterns. Would this add to the opening time?

I noticed that in my office, because we use a network photoshop, everytime I open it it's a clean photoshop with factory settings, and yes, that is quite faster compared to my home. Would it be better if I delete all my modifed tools everytime I close a session of photoshop?

I'll browse through my windows fonts to see if there is any corrupt fonts. But could you tell me how to slow OS API issue?

• 7. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                      Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

…Photoshop CC is ever so slightly faster to start than Photoshop CS6…

…must be all the features and functionality tribute-paying folks report being removed by Adobe in CC.    

• 8. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                        Level 7

MacPro, MacBook Air, and MacMini with SSD all launch in under 1 sec. 

MacMini with Hybrid drive takes 1.5 sec.

Windows7 with SSE on SATA3 takes 1 sec.

All tested with default preferences.

Adding plugins or presets could slow it down.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                          Level 7

Yes, patterns are part of your presets, and take time to load from disk.

• 10. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I takes the longer on the first launch after a system restart, than it does with subsequent lauches.   Three seconds for me for a relaunch.   Not much longer after rebooting.  I only have the Topaz bundle in CC, but I have a few extra fonts.

• 11. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

I takes the longer on the first launch after a system restart, than it does with subsequent lauches.   Three seconds for me for a relaunch.   Not much longer after rebooting.  I only have the Topaz bundle in CC, but I have a few extra fonts.

I think the time reduction has to do with the times between Photoshop startup, shutdown and re-launch.  The time to re-launch is reduced because of file system caching.  Most likely some of the file system directory information for some if the files that needed for Photoshop and presets are sill around so some directory reads are not required.

• 12. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                                phthalojohan Level 1

...... Okay, whilst searching my photoshop presets file to delete to help the situation, I noticed that the preset file was fine, but I had a 163 MB pattern file. Just to try it, I reset my patterns to default and closed it.(pattern file now back to 400Kb)

It now takes me 2 second to open photoshop.

I have used photoshop for years, and this is the first, FIRST ever time a photoshop program has ever loaded so fast for me before *gobsmacked with joy* OMG OMG OMG

Yay I found the solution! Next time I use patterns I gotta remember to reset patterns before using! *SO HAPPY*

• 13. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                                  ericamaxineP

I have searched for months for a solution how to load PS CS5 program faster.  I thought maybe it was the brushes but it wasn't.  It was taking a full 4 min to open.  Long story short, I too discovered that just 29 pattern files made the program slow.  I reset patterns to have only 2 when I close the program and in less than 15 seconds my program now opens.  Woohooooooooooooo!

• 14. Re: How long does it take to open photoshop?
                                    MorganLewis

How did you reset them? Photoshop will not open for me today, I have been trying for hours. It's very frustrating