18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2013 3:16 PM by Jim_Simon

video rotation

Aeryn of Kent

I took some video clips and they are displaying sideways. I need to rotate the video clips so I can see them right side up. what, if anything can I do in Premiere to do this. If not Premiere what of the other Creative Cloud programs can I do this in?

• 1. Re: video rotation
          shooternz Level 6

FX Control Window> Motion/Scale>Rotate

This not going to work out well I suspect

• 2. Re: video rotation
            Aeryn of Kent Level 1

Okay, I see the effects control window but there's no clip in it. How do I get the clip to populate that window?

• 3. Re: video rotation
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Timeline, Select that Clip, and it will appear in the Effects Control Panel, ready to adjust the Effects, either Fixed, like Rotation, or applied.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: video rotation
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I would like to take this opportunity to point something out to you and to all who use their smartphones, or other cameras, to shoot portrait mode instead of landscape.

You will have people tell you that you must shoot landscape. Ignore them. If you have a web site and want to post a video that was shot portrait, or you want to edit and take it back into your smartphone to show people, you can almost as easily edit and export portrait as you can landscape.

For the example below, I used a JPG but it could just have easily been a video. All I did when I set up the sequence is took a 1920X1080 DSLR preset and swap the frame dimensions to make them 1080X1920.

Now, can you put it on YouTube? Well, not really. They are not set up for that. It will come out portrait with black bars on the side. But exporting to a format your phone or your own website likes? No sweat.

Capture.PNG

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: video rotation
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  You will have people tell you that you must shoot landscape. Ignore them.

Ignore that.  You MUST shoot landscape.

• 6. Re: video rotation
                    joe bloe premiere Level 5

You are of course free to accept or ignore

any or all advice you may read on this Forum.

Premiere is capable of accommodating many workflow options,

including recording and editing video in 'Portrait' mode.

• 7. Re: video rotation
                      shooternz Level 6

16:9 is a very uncomfortable Portrait aspect ratio and was never designed for that.

Its hardly the "golden rectangle"

16:9 (1:85, 14:9 etc) are more "designed" to consider the fov and aspect of the eye.

Nothing stopping anyone using it though.  There are no rules.

Wonder how I got gazzumped by Bill for the "Correct Answer"

• 8. Re: video rotation
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

There are no rules.

Ignore that, too.  The rule is "never turn your camera on it's side".  (People look at you funny with your head cocked like that. )

• 9. Re: video rotation
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

While 9:16 might be an uncomfortable portrait ratio, it is the ratio my phone uses. So if I take a picture or a video with my phone, I want to see it on my phone the way I shot it. And sometimes portrait just makes sense.

Talk about miserable ratios, how about Instagram? I mean really. Who takes square photographs?

• 10. Re: video rotation
                            pplabrisher Level 1

"I mean really. Who takes square photographs?"

Fritz Henle (1909-1993) did - and a master at that too with a Rolleiflex camera - for you old timers !!

Good composition knows no fixed format, square, rectangular or otherwise, and as you said, portrait makes absolute sense at times.

• 11. Re: video rotation
                              shooternz Level 6

Lets not forget the millions of great photos taken on the Hasselblad. 2.25 square

and sometimes portrait just makes sense.

Never in 16:9 . You got a weird eye Steven

• 12. Re: video rotation
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Guys, I am talking about modern cameras in the hands of millions of people who might accidentally take a good picture. Or in the hands of the few who can take great pictures with just about any camera you hand them.

If it was taken at 1080X1920, lets look at it that way. Why should I have to crop a picture I took because it might offend someone's sensibilities who doesn't look at pictures on a phone.

If all you have is a smartphone, and you shoot a video in portrait mode, it isn't a crime. Editing it and putting it back on the phone should be easy and not ridiculed.

Telling people to turn their phone sideways is just wrong. It isn't necessary and often would not result in as good a picture or video for the intended display. Look at all of the video displays set up for advertising in portrait mode. There are lots of them out there.

Besides that, there are perfectly good reasons to shoot photographs in porttrait mode. For panorama's for example. You shoot more pictures but get a better resolution in the end.

Just because films shown in theaters have always been wider than they are tall, doesn't mean that videos designed to be shown on a 1080X1920 smartphone display should not be taller than they are wide. The print on the phone makes it obvious which way the phone is designed to be held. Why hold it sideways? Would fireworks always be better sideways? I don't think so. Should fashion shoots of tall models not be in portrait mode? Of course they should be. That is, if they will be displayed that way.

I see a lot of computer screens sitting on desks in the San Francisco Bay area in the portrait mode. Why would I want to watch a landscape video on that monitor?

• 13. Re: video rotation
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I want to see it on my phone the way I shot it

Ah, see now...that you should always turn on it's side.

• 14. Re: video rotation
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    If all you have is a smartphone, and you shoot a video in portrait mode, it isn't a crime.

It will be soon.  There's a measure currently in the House, scheduled for a vote in September.  (I'm just trying to keep folks out of jail here, you know. )

Why hold it sideways?

Because the human field of vision is wider than it is tall, so 'widescreen' is normal, portrait is just...blech.

• 15. Re: video rotation
                                      joe bloe premiere Level 5

There's a measure currently in the House, scheduled for a vote in September.

I wouldn't count on the House doing anything.

It will never get out of Committee.

Besides, they have five more votes scheduled

to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Why hold it sideways?

Because the human field of vision is wider than it is tall, so 'widescreen' is normal, portrait is just...blech.

"He ain't wrong, he's just different but his pride won't let him.

Do things to make you think he's right."

• 16. Re: video rotation
                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Someone might as well move this thing to the lounge. Sigh!

When you look in a full length mirror when buying a suit, it has a very tall, and very narrow aspect ratio. Why?

The subject matter is that way. Unless you look like this guy. Then you need something wider.

Capture.PNG

But if someone looks like this, and isn't standing next to her friends, why would you need anything else in the shot. You would just end up cropping it anyway.

Capture.PNG

• 17. Re: video rotation
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven,

When playing back landscape videos on my smartphone, I just turn it sideways. Luckily, it's sealed, so the little 1's and 0's don't fall out.

Hunt

• 18. Re: video rotation
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

But if someone looks like this, and isn't standing next to her friends, why would you need anything else in the shot.

So you can use it as a wallpaper on your widescreen monitor, duh.

You would just end up cropping it anyway.

That is the correct action when you need portrait presentations.  The difference is, cropping a portrait shot for widescreen use more often then not crops the subject, whereas cropping the landscape shot for portrait use only crops the background.

For best compatibility, ALWAYS shoot video and images landscape.  Never turn your camera on it's side, and always turn your phone on it's side.

This has been the word of Jim.