9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 11:58 PM by Davyd Melnyk

Inserting Images in Post

Davyd Melnyk Level 1

I have a project where we are considering shooting scenes using blank canvasses as props, and putting images of paintings in afterwards using AE. Can anyone please give me any tips as to the best way to proceed, both for the shoot and for the work in post? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Inserting Images in Post
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Watch any making of of a movie that uses fancy fake screen UIs - apply green to the screen area, add corner markers in another color so you can track later.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Inserting Images in Post
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

In addition to Mylenium's suggestion, you might also want to run a test on the plain white canvasses -- no green on them --  and see how Mocha tracks them.  If things in the foreground pass in front of the canfasses, you might also want to test out how Rotobrush works on the foreground stuff.

• 3. Re: Inserting Images in Post
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would be best to have some detail in the canvases. Anything would be better than just plain white. If the canvases are plain white you will only have edges to track and that's not as good as a plane with some detail on it.

I'd do the project in Mocha tracking each object and then using the techniques in this tutorial to replace the canvases with your artwork. I is prety straight forward. The tutorial is for Mocha Pro and Photoshop but it shows you exactly how to track different objects in a frame. You then just export corner pin data to AE. Apply the corner pin tracking data to some new artwork scaled to fit the comp frame and you're done. EZ as Pie....

• 4. Re: Inserting Images in Post
                Davyd Melnyk Level 1

Mylenium - there's a couple of reasons why I prefer to avoid green-screening, but thanks for the feedback.

• 5. Re: Inserting Images in Post
                  Davyd Melnyk Level 1

Dave -  Thanks, this is more what I had in mind. There are a lot of fixed camera shots involved, which makes this kind of problem easier. Anyone passing in front of the canvas is my big problem. By mentioning rotoscope did you mean that I would be using a bunch of layers or something? Rotoscope the actor out as a layer and then add him last on top of the inserted artwork? Is that what you meant?

• 6. Re: Inserting Images in Post
                    Davyd Melnyk Level 1

Rick - I really prefer to leave them plain if possible, I assume the edge-tracking issue disappears with little or no camera movement? I don't have Mocha Pro though, is everything in that tutorial applicable to Mocha for After Effects? Thanks.

• 7. Re: Inserting Images in Post
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I mean AE's RotoBRUSH, which can make the rotoscoping process easier.  But you need to run tutorials and read documentation, or Rotobrush won't make any sense.  It's not very intuitive.

And if you've never done this stuff before, run tests before you do it for real!

• 8. Re: Inserting Images in Post
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I said in my original suggestion to check the tutorial, the tracking techniques are what you should be looking at, then just use the export to corner pin data to AE.

If your camera is locked down then you don't need tracking. All you need is to use Corner Pin. Type Corner Pin in the AE help field at the top right corner of AE and check out the info there. You should be good to go.

If you have things like people in the scene that move in front of the canvases you'll have to do some roto. Again, not very difficult if your canvases are all white.

• 9. Re: Inserting Images in Post
                          Davyd Melnyk Level 1

Thanks, guys :-)