6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2013 2:08 AM by DearBrianTho

Reducing playback judder when using the multicam window

DearBrianTho

Multicam playback is prone to juddering on my March 2011, 8 GB MacBook Pro. I think I've reduced this to a certain extent by splitting different cameras over several drives and fortunately the machine is equipped with:

- 1 x Thunderbolt connector

- 1 x Firewire 800 connector and

- 2 x USB3 connectors thanks to a Caldigit Express card.

I think I may have reduced the juddering further by Exporting and creating .mpeg files and then using them instead of the AVCHD .MTS files. For this I've done "New Sequence from Clip" followed by "Export", "Media..." then clicking on "Match Sequence Settings".

I think I've improved the situation but I was wondering if there was something else I could do.

I usually have four or five camcorders running continuously for my multicam work and I was wondering if:

- someone could confirm that creating .mpeg files instead of AVCHD .MTS files is a good idea or not?

- when using five camcorders, on which of the drives connected to the above choice of connectors should that extra footage go?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

• 1. Re: Reducing playback judder when using the multicam window
          Jim_Simon Level 8

creating .mpeg files instead of AVCHD .MTS files is a good idea or not?

Generally not.

when using five camcorders, on which of the drives connected to the above choice of connectors should that extra footage go?

The hard drive arrangement is a minor issue, lack of CPU power is the major factor here.

• 2. Re: Reducing playback judder when using the multicam window
            DearBrianTho Level 1

OK, thanks for that, so I won't waste time doing the Exports in the future. I really wasn't sure if it was helping or not but I was thinking that PPro would have slightly less to do do (uncompress?) if I did some work up front. I seem to remember doing that sort of thing with FCP7.

Does disk speed make much of a difference ie 7200 or 5400?

The machine involved is:

Processor  2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,

Memory  8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 and

Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Perhaps I'll need to upgrade in a few months when the new models come out. What would you do?

Thanks, Brian.

• 3. Re: Reducing playback judder when using the multicam window
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I was thinking that PPro would have slightly less to do do (uncompress?) if I did some work up front.

That part is true.  MPEG2 is easier on the CPU than AVCHD.  But you lose quality in the conversion.  That's why it isn't a good idea.

Does disk speed make much of a difference ie 7200 or 5400?

It does.  Stick with 7200 or better.

• 4. Re: Reducing playback judder when using the multicam window
                DearBrianTho Level 1

But you lose quality in the conversion.  That's why it isn't a good idea.

Oh dear.. I hadn't noticed anything significant and nobody's complained. Is there ANY Export setting which doesn't lose quality?

• 5. Re: Reducing playback judder when using the multicam window
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Lossless.  But that won't help playback performance much.

If you can't see any degradation, then conversion may be a viable solution, but if this is for a business  I'd recommend using it short term and make plans for upgrading your system to an Intel i7 4770 so you can better handle the native media.  You do your clients a disservice with the conversion, even if they may not always notice it.

• 6. Re: Reducing playback judder when using the multicam window
                    DearBrianTho Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

Lossless.  But that won't help playback performance much.

If you can't see any degradation, then conversion may be a viable solution, but if this is for a business  I'd recommend using it short term and make plans for upgrading your system to an Intel i7 4770 so you can better handle the native media.  You do your clients a disservice with the conversion, even if they may not always notice it.

Many thanks for the advice. It's more of a retirement hobby than a business and involves pretty low prices. They all rave about what they get but all the same they (and I!) deserve the best quality/playback so I'll upgrade soon.