9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 7:36 AM by TheCCB

Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare

cylonbravo

Since upgrading to Indesign CC everytime I right click on object or image it goes into Direct Select instead of giving me the right click dialogue box.  Its a nightmare, sometimes I have to right click on object 4 or 5 times before the dialogue will show up.  I have tried multiple mouses, wired and Magic Mouse. I am on an iMac running OS 10.8.4.  Any help would be awesome.

• 1. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This type of bad behavior can sometimes be fixed by trashing the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 2. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare
            cylonbravo Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion, I tried this and it didn't make a difference.

I think I may have figured out the problem, still haven't figured out a way to solve it.  On the PC and MAC when you have an image and you click it a circle appears (actually 2 circles) in the center of the image.  On the PC when you right click anywhere outside that circle you get the Dialogue box that opens.  When you right click in the circle in the center on the PC you get the Direct Selection tool.  On my MAC it is the opposite, when you right click inside the circle you get the dialogue box and outside it you get the direct selection tool.

For someone who goes back and forth between a PC and MAC this is maddening.  Can anyone else confirm that this is intentional or is there something wrong with my system?

• 3. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not seeing this on Mac (10.8.4) or Windows 8 Pro. When I right click

on the content grabber or outside of it, I get the normal contextual menu.

What ever is causing this seems to be specific to your systems.

• 4. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare
                ram ghai

Same problem here.

Just upgraded from CS6, to CC on OS X. This is hideous and extremely frustrating!

• 5. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare
                  Was DYP Level 3

I never noticed that before so I just tested it and CS6 and CC behave just exactly the same when right-clicking. Does control-click do the same thing? If not maybe it is a mouse or other device driver conflict. But I am supprised you would want to use CC given its slowness problems that have yet to be fixed.

• 6. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare

Not everyone is experiencing performance issues. The majority of users

are not.

• 7. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare
                      Was DYP Level 3

But I thought "Adobe Engineering is painfully aware of the current performance issues with InDesign 9."

It would be interesting for anyone not experiencing performance issues to know what their setup is (fonts, profiles loaded, etc.) and what kind of files they are working on.

The majority of users

are not.

And you know this how?

Seem to be pretty extensive threads on here about ID9 performance issues.

• 8. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare

What exactly would you expect to find in a support forum? I’m running it three ways. Win 8.1 desktop, Win 8.1 in bootcamp and MacBook Air w/ OSX 10.8.5. No issues and it’s lightning fast. Way faster than CS6 in many ways. PDF export, heavy use of MSOs, lots of DPS use.

And since you asked…Suitcase Fusion 5, 16 Gigs of RAM and an i7 on the desktop. The MacBook Air is an i5 with 8 Gigs of RAM.

If it was everyone as you allude to, you wouldn’t even be able to find anything here but that issue.

• 9. Re: Indesign CC Right Clicking nightmare
                          TheCCB

I've also got the same issue.  CC on OSX Lion.  Either right-clicking acts as left clicking or direct select.  Sometimes it works as right clicking though. I'm guessing maybe I'm just a sloppy right clicker on the stupid Magic Mouse, but I never had issues with it in CS5.5 or CS6.

I've never liked the Magic Mouse though.