10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 11:24 AM by A.T. Romano
      • 1. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem
        the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please furnish us with more information?

As the GoPro cameras usually have several recording modes, what are the specs. of the files that you are generating?

What is the Project's Settings?

What are the specs. of your computer, and especially the CPU speed?

After applying the Transitions, are your Rendering your footage, for smoothest playback?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem
          A.T. Romano Level 7

James132supermoto

Are the two clips involved in a transition trimmed or untrimmed at the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second clip?

When you go to place the transition, what alignment does the transition snap to...Start at Cut, Center at Cut, or End at Cut?

Do you have to go into Transition Adjustments in order to set the alignment to something other than what is snapped to at placement?

Have you doubled clicked the transition and made any adjustments to it in the Transitions Adjustment Area?

What is the video transition that is involved? Or, do all the video transitions that you try behave the same with these particular 2 clips?...with any 2 clips?

You might want to take a look at my blog post of transitions and how they work.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe-video-transitions-part-2-how-they.html

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem
            James132supermoto Level 1

Many thanks for the speedy reply

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the 'Rendering footage' comment, I will try that in a second as I guess because im not that may be the problem.

Raw footage from camera (On r3 mode I beleive)

Frame Width - 1280

Frame Height - 720

Data Rate - 15171kbps

Total Bitrate 15300kbps

Frame Rate 50 fps

Project settings are on:

PAL-AVCHD-AVCHD LITE 720p50

Laptop spec is average I guess, Windows 7 64bit, i5 Processor, 6gb ram, 500gb Hard drive.

Im unsure on how to find out 'CPU speed' ?

Sorry for the questions, im not great with tech!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem

Wow, thanks again for another fast reply!

Im completley new to video editing software, At the moment Im keeping things quite simple, and only really using the 'Sceneline' view, rather than the 'Timeline' view.

So I am basically clicking on the transition I want to use, dragging and dropping into the little transition squares between the clips

It happens with any clips I use. At the moment im actually going from a still image (Which I have overlayed text onto) into a video. The video itself has been shortened both at the start and at the end prior to putting the transition in.

With regards to the transition itself, it seems to be more noticable and take longer to correct itself on the more complex transitions such as 'Box explode' or 'Bouncing cube'. If I use something a little more simple such as 'cube spin' it will sometimes do the same and stutter for a while, but sometimes it will be fine.

I beleive the transitions are automatically set on 'End at cut'

Again thanks for trying to help out. I will check out your tutorial now.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem
                A.T. Romano Level 7

James132supermoto

Thanks for the additional information.

In the long run working in the Timeline view is preferred to the Sceneline view because in the Timeline view you can see better what is going on and thus have more control.

However, the concept of rendering the Timeline is an important one especially when you are working with transitions, effects, and non native formats. It is a preview thing. If in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 you have a red line over content (Timeline view), that is the program telling you that, in order to get the best possible preview of what you see when you play back the Timeline content, you need to render that Timeline content. You can do that

a. by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard (red line turns green at completion)

or

b. by going to Timeline Menu/Render Work Area

So, it is very important for you to check out this factor before pursuing others which will get you into more complicated (yet doable) troubleshooting.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem

Excelent, this has solved my issue

What a simple fix! Learning!

Thankyou guys, Im sure I will be back soon

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Rendering can be very useful, for smoothest playback.

I have whole Projects, where I never Render, but others, and especially when Keyframing Effects, where I might Render a portion of the Timeline dozens of times. Luckily, one can adjust the WAB (Work Area Bar), to limit Rendering to just a portion of the Timeline.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

James132supermoto

Great great news.

Lots and lots more related to rendering of Timeline content, but the immediate matter has been addressed.

Each time you render the Timeline, a preview file is automatically generated and saved to the computer hard drive. There is also the matter of conformed audio and video files being generated for a project. For now, I will just mention, keep an watch on these preview and conformed audio and video files so that they do not pile up on your hard drive. The preview files and conformed audio files are in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Folder respectively. The conformed video files can best be cleaned out via Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database. Always lots and lots of details.

Continued success. And, thanks for the follow up which is important to all.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem

Ok thats good info to know!

What I have been doing so far is once finished editing, or shall I say, cutting and shutting! I have been 'Sharing' to computer as a MPEG file, so that I can upload directly onto youtube through the website. I know there is a youtube feature on the program, which I used originally, but one day that stopped working.. So I found this way just as quick.

I then either move the MPEG files onto a 1tb external hard drive I have, or delete it as its now on youtube

I presume deleting the MPEG file does not delete these preview and conformed files you mention? If so I will remember to do the process you mention above every once in a while to keep things clear.

Thanks again!

Oh, and if anyones interested in seeing some of my cut and shut videos heres my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/James132SM

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements Transition Problem
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

James123supermoto

I did not get a chance to watch all of your YouTube videos, but the ones that I did watch had excellent video quality.

Have you looked at Premiere Elements Preview Window Set In Set Out points for trimming the video as split clips to the Timeline of a project or to its media area as subclips? Perhaps using some of the techniques mentioned in my blog post

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Progress sounding good.

ATR