12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 3:08 PM by ASuffredini

First line indent except first paragraph?

LittleNewsMan Level 1

So I've seen a few prior discussions on this little bugger and towhat appears to be to no avail. To clarify, I wish to create an object style (and subsequent paragraph styles) that would incorporate the function of indenting the first line of every paragraph with the exception of the first paragraph. I didn't know if anyone had figured out anything new with CC or not, or if a new discovery had been made. If not, Adobe really needs to create a way so that a nested style or something could be applied in an object style to do this.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What's the problem? Create  a paragraph style with the indent, an initial paragraph style based on that with no indent, and set the indented style as the next style for the non-indented style. Set the non-indented style as the paragraph style in your object style and click the box to apply next style.

• 2. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
            peter minneapolis Level 4

LittleNewsMan wrote:

So I've seen a few prior discussions on this little bugger and towhat appears to be to no avail. To clarify, I wish to create an object style (and subsequent paragraph styles) that would incorporate the function of indenting the first line of every paragraph with the exception of the first paragraph. I didn't know if anyone had figured out anything new with CC or not, or if a new discovery had been made. If not, Adobe really needs to create a way so that a nested style or something could be applied in an object style to do this.

Any suggestions?

Currently, the two-paragraph approach that Peter S. suggests is the main solution. There may be a script that provides a way to do this, or someone may want to write a script based on this request. Search the InDesign scripting forum, and post your request there.

I feel your pain, because I've used structured FrameMaker which understands user-defined "context formatting rules." One common use is to incorporate the ability for a paragraph to detect if it's in a defined numbered or bulleted list, and if so, to detect if its position in the list is first, last, notfirst, or notlast, and apply formatting according to the rule. This permits lists with a single paragraph format (aka ID's style) that appars with, say, space above the first list paragraph, space below after the last list paragraph, and "regular" spacing between interior list paragraphs. The real value comes when moving paragraphs within a list. As in ID, autonumbering adjusts because it's defined to follow from previous, but unlike ID, if a paragraph moves to first or last position, or moves from first or last to an interior position, any specific first/last properties are applied. Unlike ID, no manual re-tagging to account for changes to first/last/middle position.

I've already filed a formal feature request for this here: Wishform. Make it clear in your request that you're asking for this intelligent behavior for paragraphs within text frames of a specified object style, whether or not the paragraph is in a named list. Smart object styles that provide context formatting rules would be a great addition to ID. So, add your voice. Sooner or later, when critical mass is achieved, and developers are given time to invest in a feature, it's developed and incorporated into ID (other Adobe products also follow this practice.)

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

If you do go ahead and file a feature request, consider

• 3. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
              ASuffredini

Can someone help me add to this? I would like to have a drop cap at the beginning pf each chapter. Can I set that in paragraph styles or is that done manually? Thanks

• 4. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
                dave c courtemanche Level 2

That can be done in the paragraph styles. Halfway down the dialog box.

• 5. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
                  ASuffredini Level 1

Great - I see that, but it is applying the drop cap to every paragraph. Can I only apply to the first paragraph? Thanks

• 6. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?

You need a second style, just for paragraphs with a drop cap. You apply that style to the first paragraph in the chapter. You can set your regular paragraph style as Next Style for the drop cap style if you like.

• 7. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
                      dave c courtemanche Level 2

I see. So you have the same condition as the initial poster. I would approach it as a "next" style.

• 8. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
                        ASuffredini Level 1

Ok this is what I have. I know I'm missing something....

Body:

Based on None

Next - Drop Cap

Has character formats & alignment full justify

Drop Cap:

Based on Body

Next - Indent

Nested drop cap through 1 letter

Nested "Drop Cap" through 1 Letter

Indent:

Based on Drop Cap

First line indent

Space before

First line only.

When I choose "Indent" all first letters are drop cap and all paragraphs indented.

Thanks

• 9. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?

Since you based Indent on Drop Cap, it inherited the drop cap settings, so you need to go into the style definition and turn them off.

• 10. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
                            ASuffredini Level 1

Ok - but when I turn them off I lose the drop cap of the first paragraph.

• 11. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?

You turn them off in the Indent style.

But I suspect you'd really be better off, if you want to use based on styles, using the Body style as the parent style, then base all of the other on it, making the appropriate changes for each one, rather than trying to daisy-chain a bunch of styles together.

• 12. Re: First line indent except first paragraph?
                                ASuffredini Level 1

Ok makes sense. Thanks so much for all your help!