3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 9:17 AM by kbechtle116

Layer Encription in InDesign. Can It Be Done?

kbechtle116 Level 1

Is it possible to encript or password protect individual layers in InDesign? I know that you can lock layers but I need to supply .indt or .indd files to a client with specific information, ie: indicia's, non-printable areas, master items etc., that must have no possibility of movement. They would then build their creative layout around those stationary items. It's too easy to unlock layers and mess with the items using the little lock icon. Any other suggestions would be appreciated also.

Thanks

InDesign CS6

Mac OS

• 1. Re: Layer Encription in InDesign. Can It Be Done?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No. Not natively though there may be some third party tools.

I hate reading this kind of thing because quite frankly it points to

some pretty poorly trained employees.

• 2. Re: Layer Encription in InDesign. Can It Be Done?
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might be able to get adequate protection this way:

Set all your fixed items up on a page, and export that page to PDF. Use Acrobat Pro to password protect the PDF from editing, then place it on the master page of your deliverable template on a locked layer. Now instead of various "free-floating" items, all your protected elements can only move together as one page-size item which is protected from external editing.

• 3. Re: Layer Encription in InDesign. Can It Be Done?
              kbechtle116 Level 1

John,

Thanks but I did also have that idea. Picture this...I will use that scenario with the mailing side of a BRM. The one with the Post Net code and FIM bars. There is nothing stopping the creative team from unlocking the layer, copying the placed pdf, pasting and cropping that pdf several times moving the information to fit their "creative needs". That BRM information is position critical for the USPS. I know that this is an extreme example, but I'm sure you get the point. I realize a locked layer in InDesign should always mean hands off, but there are too many people out there that think a tweak or two won't hurt.

Another feature I would like to have in InDesign and Illustrator is the layer color option to be the same as Photoshop. If you color a layer in say red for "STOP", the entire layer in the palette becomes red. Not just that silly little verticle bar that's easy to overlook.