7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 2:58 PM by jstrawn

Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI

PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Hi everyone,

Adobe gave us a great new way to apply transitions to a selection of clips, but unfortunately their implementation of this new feature wasn't very smart (keep reading to find out why).  Here's the official FR I  just sent to Adobe.  Please copy/paste it or use it as a guide for your own FR.  Let's all pitch in an help Adobe create the ideal NLE we need and deserve!

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: Transitions added only to clip selections UNDER THE CTI

How would you like the feature to work?  When using keyboard shortcuts to add default transitions, transitions should only be added to a selection of clips IF the selection is UNDER THE CTI.  Any time a selection of clips is not under the CTI, the add-default-transition shortcuts should only apply to any in/out points directly under the CTI.

Why is this feature important to you?

The ability to easily add transitions to a selection of clips in CC is great, but the implementation of this feature is very problematic for the following reasons: 1. it goes against learned conventions from pre-CC versions of Premiere, 2. it results in the unwanted addition of transitions any time a user has previously selected clips and forgets (or doesn't know to) deselect them first.  This is especially problematic when selected clips are outside the viewable bounds of the Timeline, since the unwanted addition of transitions can easily go unnoticed!

To only apply transitions to a selection of clips under the CTI makes a lot more sense convention-wise for pre-CC Premiere editors, and would be a fail-safe against adding unwanted transitions by mistake.

• 1. Re: Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI
          jstrawn Adobe Employee

Thank you for your request. It could use some clarification, specifically...

When using keyboard shortcuts to add default transitions, transitions should only be added to a selection of clips IF the selection is UNDER THE CTI.

This is what already happens (cmd/ctrl+D by default), what are you wanting to change?

Any time a selection of clips is not under the CTI, the add-default-transition shortcuts should only apply to any in/out points directly under the CTI.

That statement sounds contradictory. And what do you mean by 'a selection of clips'? Are you just talking about two clips side-by-side in a single track? or are you including the possibility of many clips, stacked up in multiple tracks, which may or may not have cut point sunder the CTI within the ange of a default transition?

When writing bug or feature request reports, it's best to include concise steps for how to reproduce the problem so that peope reviewing it can experience it for themselves and decide how to prioritize it.

Again, I do thank you for your passion and efforts to make our product better. I don't mean to just pick apart your post, but if you want it to be seriously considered, it could use some revision.

• 2. Re: Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I think the way it works now is perfect, and this feature request will only make things more difficult.  It would defeat the entire purpose of this excellent new feature - the ability to apply multiple transitions without having to move the CTI.  A simple click, CTL+D, done.  It's a nice time-saver that would be defeated by this feature request, moving Premiere Pro a step backward, rather than foward.

The simpler solution is to just deselect your clips when you don't want transitions on both sides.

• 3. Re: Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI

Hi jstrawn,

Thanks for pointing out that my post isn't clear to everyone.

By selection of clips I mean just that, one or more selected clips.  I thought it was clear, but apparently not, so I'll make a couple of changes to my FR above.  The way it works now is that transitions are added to any selected clips, whether those selected clips are under the CTI or whether they are far off outside the viewable bounds of the Timeline.  This can be a serious problem since users can easily add transitions by mistake and not even know about it unless they deselect clips through a keyboard shortcut before every time they add transitions.  A sensible solution but a true nuissance too!

Jim,

Rather than jump to the conclusion that my proposed FR would 'defeat the entire purpose of this excellent new feature', which it doesn't by the way, how about you try to refine an idea rather than just discrediting it altogether.

Your proposed solution of just deselecting your clips is precisely what my FR is trying to fix so that users don't have to remember to do that every single time.  If users have selected clips that aren't in the viewable portion of their Timeline, are they going to remember to deselect them every single time?  Don't think so.

Your post does bring up a good point however.  If a user selects 1 or more clips, and immediately follows that action with the Add-default-transitions shortcut, then it would seem logical that the CTI need not be over the selection in order to apply the transitions.

So perhaps the modification could be this:

1. Selected clip(s) inside viewable bounds of Timeline = Add-default-transition shortcuts add transitions to selected clips whether the CTI is directly over that selection or not

2. Selected clip(s) outside viewabe bounds of Timeline = Add-default-transition shortcuts don't work to avoid mistakes

In this case, users wouldn't have to move the CTI to apply transitions to a selection, nor would they ever have to worry about adding transitions by mistake to selected clips they can't see.  How does that sound?

Another solution altogether would be to have an 'off-screen modification warning'.  This is something I proposed in the CS5 beta that would be all the more useful now that transitions can be added to selected clips off screen.

Here's how it would work:  Anytime an action affects or would affect Timeline media that's outside its visible bounds, a red warning would appear.

Here are some examples:

1. Add-default-transition shortcut adds transitions to selected clips to the right of the Timeline's visible range = Red warning marker flashes once along the right edge of the Timeline (meaning "Hey, you just changed something on the right portion of the Timeline that you might not have wanted to")

2. Move a clip on the Timeline that would overwrite part of another unseen clip(s) = Red warning marker appears and remains visible while the user holds the clip in the 'overwriting' position.  That's probably a little tricky to understand, so hopefully this illustration helps

Off screen warning.png

In this image, Clip 2 is being dragged from video track 2 to video track 1.  There's unseen media on video track 1 that would get overwriten should the user release the clip in its new position.  The red bar that appears informs the user of this so that no media will be unknowingly overwritten by mistake.

How does this solution sound compared to the other one?

I think the best would be both solutions together.

Jim, I'm modifying my FR to take into account the concern you raised.

• 4. Re: Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI

I thought I'd be able to go back an edit my original post but I can't, so here's my updated FR:

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: Transitions added only to selected clips when they are visible in the Timeline

How would you like the feature to work?  When using keyboard shortcuts to add default transitions, transitions should only be added to selected clips when all or part of the selection is visible in the Timeline.  Any time selected clips are entirely hidden from view in the Timeline, the add-default-transition shortcuts should only apply to any in/out points directly under the CTI.

Why is this feature important to you?

The ability to easily add transitions to a selection of clips in CC is great, but the implementation of this feature is very problematic for the following reason: it can all too easily result in the unwanted addition of transitions to selected clips that are outside the viewable bounds of the Timeline!

To only apply transitions to selected clips when all or part of the selection is visible would be a fail-safe against adding unwanted transitions by mistake.

How does this modified version sound?

• 5. Re: Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI
                  cscooper2013 Level 2

I've developed a habit of (almost always) deselecting my last selection when I'm done performing operations on it.  I just click on some empty track or piece of the track (anyone know of a better way?)  Also, I haven't gotten in the habit of using the new multiple-transitions-at-a-time feature.  I think it looks great for when I need it (and I will at some point).

I like your FR that would visually warn of potentially unwanted activity that may have happened outside of the timeline's view.  I'm usually very careful using the Track Select (A) tool or the Slip (Y) tool.  But I do occasionally run into a snag where several steps back, I deleted something that was selected, but off screen.

I think your feature would flow best if it was a warning and nothing more.  In other words, it should not prevent the action from happening; just provide a big bold warning that might stay on screen for 2 seconds.  That way, if you meant to perform a function to selected clips outside of the current timeline view, then you could just move on without a break in your flow.  If you didn't intend such, you just hit Undo and procede with your intended operation.

As with most of these kinds of features, it should be something that can be turned off altogether or tuned to individual liking (i.e. use a different warning color, more or less icon transparency, and duration of the onscreen indicator adjustable in .5 second increments).

• 6. Re: Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI

Nice ideas cscooper2013, such as ability to turn this on/off.

Yes, by all means the visual warning I'm talking about would never actually prevent a user for doing something.  It would just be a heads up to let them know that something will be changed off screen if they continue doing what they're doing, as in moving a clip onto a track, or that something was changed off screen by an action they just did, such as copy/pasting something, hitting delete, adding transitions, etc.

I've run into that very unfortunate situation myself of later finding out I'd deleted a clip further in the Timeline because I didn't see it was selected when I hit the Backspace key.  Are very frustrating situation that could easily be averted with the visual warning I'd like to see implemented.

I'll create an official FR for this and post it in a new thread.

• 7. Re: Help Improve Premiere!  FR: Only apply transitions to selection UNDER the CTI
                      jstrawn Adobe Employee

Your request is clear enough now, I was just mis-understanding some of your verbiage.

Your requests are valid. In case it's not clear, the current method is to select only the clips you want transitions on before using the that KBS.