1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 2:54 PM by Jim_Simon

Audio out of sync with video in timeline SOLVED

tim@confex

The audio and video are in sync when playing .MP4 video (but may apply to other video files) in the Premiere Pro viewer and Windows Media Player and VLC however, as soon as you drag the clip into the timeline it goes out of sync. Since it took so much time for me to figure out how to get around this problem I wanted to share this, ESPECIALLY For all the people who are semi Adobe Premiere noobs (with no disrespect, I fall into this category) at this and google isn't helping to figure out why this is happening I'll give you the easy fix.  For all the people in this forum who are going to ask the detailed information, codecs, etc.  I'll give that as well.

FOR THE NOOBS:

All the information I've read online all seems to point that the timeline sometimes doesn't like certain audio contained in the video. It conforms incorrectly, etc. Personally, it doesn't make any sense to me. Forget all that.. you just want to get on with your project.. to heck with the details, you're tired of googling.  Here's the solution I found.  Extracting the audio from the problematic video file outside of Adobe Premiere.  I use avconv, because it's free, open source, and you won't lose audio quality.  Then linking that audio with the video in Adobe Premiere.

First if you are using a windows 32 bit computer download avconv here: http://win32.libav.org/win32/

If you are using a windows 64 bit computer download avconv here: http://win32.libav.org/win64/

go to the bottom of the page and click on the newest date version.  DISCLAIMER: This is open source software. It's free.  I didn't make it so I'm not trying to sell you anything.

It's a zip file so you will need to use winzip or 7zip to uncompress it.  You can't just click on the installer. You can uncompress and save the program wherever you want on your computer.  Say you didn't pay attention and you automatically saved it in the default spot in your downloads folder.  The place you'd find the program might look like this if you're on a 64 bit computer: 

C:\Users\youruseraccountname\Downloads\libav-9.7-win64  If you're on a 32 bit computer it will probably look like this C:\Users\youruseraccountname\Downloads\libav-9.7-win32

Just make sure you know where it is located and copy it down in notepad.  If you can't find it, do a search on your C: drive for avconv  .For this forum thread we will assume you have saved avconv in the downloads folder and you're on a 64 bit computer. 

Click on the Windows key on your keyboard. Type in Run and then press enter. Type in CMD and press enter.  This will open up windows command line. Don't worry, it's not as scary as you think.

Now hold down the Windows key and press E. This will open up a windows explorer window for you to find the video file you are having issues with in Adobe Premiere.  Once you have found the file, copy the location of the file.  So..  if your file was here:  c:\Users\youruseraccount\videos\yourvideo.mp4 you would see that at the top of the windows explorer in what's called the address bar.  Copy that.  Paste it into your notepad.

Now switch back to the windows command line window.  Now I'm going to have you type a command into the windows command line but before you do I want you to understand how to type it in.

#1. Do you know the exact path (location on your computer) where you installed avconv?

#2. Did you copy the exact path (location on your computer) where you have your video file?

If so..  type in the command below but change it with the information you have above

C:\Users\youruseraccountname\Downloads\libav-9.7-win64\usr\bin\avconv.exe -i "c:\Users\youruseraccount\videos\yourvideo.mp4" -vn -qscale 1 "c:\Users\youruseraccount\videos\yourvideo.wav"

So let's break it down so you understand and help troubleshoot any issues you may have.

C:\Users\youruseraccountname\Downloads\libav-9.7-win64  this is the example location we said we installed avconv.  The actual avconv.exe program is located inside that folder so the full path would be this: C:\Users\youruseraccountname\Downloads\libav-9.7-win64\usr\bin\avconv.exe

-i just tells avconv what the input file is.

"c:\Users\youruseraccount\videos\yourvideo.mp4" is the path (location on your computer) where your video file is.

-vn just tells avconv you only want to extract audio from the video

-qscale 1 just tells avconv you want the best quality

"c:\Users\youruseraccount\videos\yourvideo.wav" just tells avconv the path (location on your computer) and the name you want to give the audio file you're taking from the video.  This will save the audio wav file to the path (location on your computer) where the problematic video file is saved.

Once you have the audio wav file import it into Adobe Premiere.  In the timeline, unlink the audio from the mp4 (or whatever video file you have).  Highlight the now unlinked mp4 audio and delete the audio.  Then bring your audio wav file you created using avconv and bring it onto the timeline at the start of the video. Now link it.  Hopefully that did the trick.

If you have any questions regarding the command line or installing avconv please feel free to comment and ask.  I'm pretty good at windows command line and can probably help identify what the issue is.

FOR THE INFORMED PREMIERE PRO USERS:

Here are the details of the problematic video file that I had this issue with.  This is from avconv:

Metadata:

major_brand     : mp42

minor_version   : 1

compatible_brands: mp42mp41

creation_time   : 2013-05-12 11:45:32

Duration: 01:58:28.24, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 3256 kb/s

Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264 (Constrained Baseline), yuv420p, 1280x720, 2997 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn

Metadata:

Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 256 kb/s

Metadata:

I don't know the type make/model video camera that was used or if it was converted before being given to me. This is just what i had to work with and the solution I found to fix it.