7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2006 7:26 AM by lionsrage

FlashPaper2 WinXP BugFix

brendanfalkowski
      WOW! How could Macromedia release FlashPaper with such a critical bug? This was so frustrating especially since there is no troubleshooting section for Flashpaper (online or in offline Help files) and because I just bought this NEW/IMPROVED software. Enough ranting.

I tried the method proposed by dennisgriffin and it worked perfectly. If you go to C:/Program Files/Macromedia/FlashPaper 2/ you can see that there is a file called fpdriversetup.exe, but if you try to execute from there nothing will happen.

You must use the command line as per the instructions below. I typed exactly as written and it worked: CMD said, "old files were removed, new drivers installed", then it paused for 15s while accessing the hard drive. And gave me a CMD prompt, then I closed and looked at my printers folder.

Right-click on the "macromedia flashpaper" printer and choose properties. Go the the "ports" tab. You should now see that "flashpaper2printerport" is checked. Congratulations it worked. Try printing to .swf and .pdf to see if you can...I could.

Thank you thank you thank you Dennis.
      Shame on you Macromedia.

quote:
      Originally posted by: dennisgriffin
      Hello folks,

Apologies for the slow response here, but we've been looking into this issue, and we believe we have found a workaround for this issue. We're working on a technote to describe this, but for now, here are the relevant steps:

Open a new command prompt (Start>Run, enter cmd)
      at the command prompt, execute these two commands:

CD C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386
      ..\fpdriversetup.exe -ui

The folder above should be wherever FlashPaper was actually installed on your system. After executing these commands, the drivers should be properly installed, and you should be able to use FlashPaper correctly. We are not sure why some systems are failing to install the drivers correctly, but this should fix the problem for you.
        • 1. Re: FlashPaper2 WinXP BugFix
          ryanatmadison
          Here are the actual 2 steps:

cd C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386

copy ..\fpdriversetup.exe

Then, from this directory, type:
          fpdriversetup.exe -ui

and you should be good to go.
          • 2. Re: FlashPaper2 WinXP BugFix
            FrostedKnight
            Sadly the above never worked for me and i contacted support a few times without any response. So Flash Paper is useless for me.

When doing the above i get this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
            (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cd C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386>copy ..\fpdriversetup.exe
            Overwrite C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386\fpdriversetup.exe? (Yes/
            No/All): y
            1 file(s) copied.

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386>fpdriversetup.exe -ui
            - Old printer Macromedia FlashPaper uninstalled or unavailable
            - Old driver FlashPaper2 Driver uninstalled or unavailable
            - Old local port FlashPaper2PrinterPort deleted
            - New local port FlashPaper2PrinterPort installed
            Driver file copy to C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\flashpaperprinterdr
            v2.dll failed Driver file copy failure stage 12: error 2 - The system cannot fin
            d the file specified.

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386>

Anybody know what else to try?

Thanks
            • 3. FlashPaper2 WinXP BugFix
              broniusm
              quote:

Sadly the above never worked for me and i contacted support a few times without any response. So Flash Paper is useless for me.

frosty: try it again, but be sure to close any application that has the flashpaper toolbar embedded (Word, Excel..). To be super-sure, copy the instructions to notepad on desktop, restart your computer, and try it afresh.

THANK YOU THANK YOU to whoever first posted this fix. My flash paper 2 stopped working out of the blue, and this hard to find fix fixed it-- I'd hate to be a non-tech user in this day an age :D

just a user, hth,
              bronius
              • 4. Re: FlashPaper2 WinXP BugFix
                kenoldwin
                Yeah, this trick really worked. I tried so many things (reinstall, Adobe support etc...) and then I found this. Thanks a lot !!!

It´s so simple: you just have to copy the file "fpdriversetup.exe"
                (C:\program files\macromedia\flashpaper 2)
                to the i386 folder
                (C:\program files\macromedia\flashpaper 2\i386)
                and then in the i386 folder you type (in cmd):fpdriversetup.exe -ui
                Then it works. Maybe you restart your computer to be sure.

Thanks again for this trick, I was really sad, that this great tool of this expensive software (Studio8) did not work.
                Now it does.
                • 5. Re: FlashPaper2 WinXP BugFix
                  finnissy
                  Unfortunately, you can still have problems. I tried all of the stuff above and none of them worked. One stupid thing I was doing wrong was leaving out the gap between the 'exe' and the '-ui' at the end.

But more importantly, after following the instructions mentioned above(including copying 'fpdriversetup.exe' into 'i386' folder) I discovered that for some strange reason my computer would not accept the suffix '-ui' (presumably uninstall and install) and that I had to separate each command for it to work. e.g.
                  CD C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386\fpdriversetup.exe -u
                  CD C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386\fpdriversetup.exe -i
                  No one else seems to have had this particular problem but there might be someone out there who is still struggling to get it to work where this could be a solution.
                  • 6. FlashPaper2 WinXP BugFix
                    broniusm Level 1
                    finnissy-
                    If you're entering:
                    quote:

CD C:\Program Files\Macromedia\FlashPaper 2\i386\fpdriversetup.exe -u

as a command, then I'm surprised it worked at all..
                    For the exact steps, check ryanatmadison's post.
                    • 7. Re: FlashPaper2 WinXP BugFix
                      lionsrage
                      neofox917 I wanted to thank you for your posting because I used to it
                      fix the problem with printing.