6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 3:14 PM by Dami11

Setting font face, size and color of Typewriter text

Dami11

...when pdf is a single-page, typewriter-enabled form?  I've skimmed though a couple pdf files on Acrobat javascript trying to figure out what events I need to trigger a function and the proper syntax to use, but I'm coming up empty.  I don't know if this is doc level or page level or how to get a function to trigger when the document opens or the typewriter button is clicked.

The problem is that for my Windows computer when I open the document, the default font is Courier 12pt and black.  A co-worker's Mac computer (and Foxit PDF Reader) the default is Helvetica 11pt and blue.  Another co-worker's Mac (with Adobe Reader) defaults to a cursive font, 11pt and blue.  I really need to standardize this and particularly change the color to black.

I am at a complete loss and out of my depth on where to start and how to find the info I need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dami

• 1. Re: Setting font face, size and color of Typewriter text
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that you want to change the properties of any existing typewriter annotations when you open a document?

• 2. Re: Setting font face, size and color of Typewriter text
            Dami11 Level 1

There shouldn't be any existing annotations when they open the document, if I'm understanding your question.  It's a blank form for them to complete.  When Typewriter-enabled, there is the typewriter button in the purple banner at the top of the page with font options pre-selected.  It's these that I want to change.  I don't care which font is selected (as long as it's readily legible like Arial, Helvetica, Courier, etc.), but I do care about size (to a small extent) and color--I would prefer black.

• 3. Re: Setting font face, size and color of Typewriter text

You don't have that type of control. Is there a reason you're not using form fields instead?

• 4. Re: Setting font face, size and color of Typewriter text
                Dami11 Level 1

Yes, because of the limitation on the number of forms that can be returned.  I was told they receive over 500 a week.

I don't know how they're doing this now with their current form.  The originator of the form no longer works there and the person who took over the position is even more clueless about it than I am.   I was just asked to edit the form to rewrite some verbiage and include a couple extra areas to be filled out.

If you have another pdf methodology solution, I am interested in hearing more.

• 5. Re: Setting font face, size and color of Typewriter text

Got it. Two alternatives to enabling the form that has form fields:

1. Set it up to submit just the form data to a web server. Much more reliable and potentially secure, unlike email.

2. Don't Reader-enable the form and convince all of the users to use Reader 11. It is capable of saving an non-enabled form, unlike previous versions of Reader. I realize this may be difficult depending on who the users are.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Setting font face, size and color of Typewriter text
                    Dami11 Level 1

George, you have been extremely helpful.  You don't know how much I appreciate your knowledge and patience.

1. Seems like going this option, we would be better served just making a web-based form.  I'll pass that on to the Powers-That-Be.

2. Not to imply these folks are computer-illiterate, but the users completing the forms are plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, carpenters, etc.  In fact, they get a good number of printed, hand-written, snail-mailed forms submitted.   I really don't know the likelihood of getting these users to download and install Reader 11.

Again, thanks so much for your time and expertise.

Dami