9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 5:16 PM by Noel Carboni

Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5

bgelfand

My graphics card is dying. To be exact, the fan on my old Radeon 4650 card is making strange noises from time to time and when it does, the temperature on the card goes up. It is time for a replacement.

After looking at the various cards, I settled on the Sapphire 100356OCL Radeon HD 7790 OC 1GB DDR5 PCI-Express Video Card seen here:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202029

Beside normal display tasks, I have two programs that use Open CL on the graphics card - Photoshop CS5 and WinZip.

Is anyone using any Radeon 7790 based card with Photoshop CS5? If so, have you encountered any difficulties with Open CL activated in CS5?

• 1. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm most impressed with the VisionTek brand of ATI cards myself.

I have a VisionTek ATI Radeon 7850 card, myself, and it works flawlessly (now that ATI has released a good driver, Catalyst 13.4) with Photoshop.  I don't use Photoshop CS5 much any more, as I'm on CC, but I have fired it up and it does everything it's supposed to in Advanced mode with this card.

I can't say whether the experience with one card can apply to a different model...  Probably not, at least not completely.  But since you're looking to buy a new card, maybe you might want to consider a 7850.  It's a little more future-proof as well, as it has 2GB of DDR5.   I wouldn't recommend it if I weren't having most excellent results with it myself.

This is a good site from which to compare GPU power...  http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Personally I'd stay away from "OC" kinds of things...  A few frames per second more in gameplay doesn't translate to anything useful when running Photoshop.  What you want is solid and reliable performance.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
            bgelfand Level 1

Thank you for the reply, Noel.

The 7850 is an excellent card, but a little more than I need, both in price and power requirements. The 7790 is probably a bit more than I need; I do not game. I want the card for its compute power in Open CL. The 7790 uses the Bonaire chip wich is closer to the new AMD 8000 series (Sea Island) than it is to the 7000 series.  You may be interested in this review which compares it to the 7850 among other chips:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6837/amd-radeon-7790-review-feat-sapphire-the-first-desktop- sea-islands

Because it uses a new chip, I am asking if anyone has run into any difficulties using a 7790 based card with CS5. I suspect I will be running CS5 for a very long time.

I, too, am wary of OC devices. It appears that for the 7790 cards OC is the standard; I find very few, if any, standard cards for sale.

• 3. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Understood.  I tend not to buy the absolute cutting edge when it first comes out because tried and true usually means fewer insoluble Photoshop problems. 

Thanks for the link.  I'm happy to see the comparison with the 7850.  It's interesting that the 7790 scores just over 3000 on the passmark GPU benchmark.  6 GHz GDDR5!  Very impressive.  I'm sure it will be a dynamite card for the price.

I wonder if the 7790, whether or not it has "overclock" in its name, has the same Catalyst "AMD Overdrive" sophistication, or maybe even more.  Note that at the moment of screen capture it had automatically throttled my GPU back to 300 MHz.

AMDOverdrive.png

-Noel

• 4. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
                bgelfand Level 1

I agree. There is an old engineering saying, "Do you know how you tell  pioneers? They are the ones with the arrows sticking out of their rear ends!" It is an allusion  to the wagon train massacre scenes in the old B-type Westerns from the 1940's and 1950's.

I ordered the card. Soon I will be able to answer my own question. I downloaded the 13.4 Catalyst Suite; it is the first one to include the 7790 (I can feel the arrows heading my way <grin>).

Thanks for the input, Noel.

• 5. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Cool!  I'm very interested in how you make out with it.  Please post your findings back here if you find time.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
                    bgelfand Level 1

The Sapphire 7790 card arrived yesterday. It took one week in transit from Newegg's New Jersey warehouse; I assume the California warehouse was out of product. I installed it today, following the upgrade instruction from the AMD web site. The installation of Catalyst Suite and drivers was trouble free.

Photoshop CS 5 recognized the new card; the Open GL functions seem to work, although I have not tested all of them.

I will retain the old 4650 card as a backup, "just in case".

• 7. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Is it fast?

Have you benchmarked it, e.g., with Passmark PerformanceTest?

-Noel

• 8. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
                        bgelfand Level 1

Since I am not a gamer, speed is not of the essence. The only "benchmark" I have run is the Windows 7 Performance Assessment. On that test it scores 7.7 (out of a possible 7.9) for both business graphics and Desktop performance for Windows Aero. My old 4650 card scored 4.6.

My concerns were would it run Photoshop CS5 Open GL function; it does. And would it support the Open CL functions of WinZip 16.5; it does. I am satisified and do not plan any benchmarks.

I do have another concern. This morning, as I was Web browsing with Inernet Explorer 9, the drivers crashed and recovered.  I saw two references to this on the reviews post to Newegg; none of the other posters had the problem. I hope my crash is a one off thing. Oh, well, the drivers are new. AMD will correct the problem.

• 9. Re: Radeon 7790 and Photoshop CS5
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Haven't seen a driver crash during IE operation in quite a long time.  You're probably right, AMD/ATI will no doubt be stabilizing the drivers for the new card.

7.7 is a good score.  I'm sure it will run Photoshop very smoothly.

-Noel