28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2013 4:52 PM by Writer123456sun

I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file

Writer123456sun

I need to find someone to PAY to help me convert a Pagemaker 6.5 file to a PDF with Truetype embedded fonts.

I have spent 35 hours trying to figure it out. Sending how-to stuff does not work. I need to PAY someone to help me fix it please.

I have tried an amazing number of ways of trying to fix it, and nothing works.

It is a 280 page file. It is not worth it to me to buy Indesign to convert this one file. Please help.

• 1. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
          Michael Gianino Level 4

I can't help you, but you might wanto to say whether your file is Mac or Windows. You will also need to provide any linked images and fonts. Are you sure you have all of that?

• 2. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think it's actually against forum rules to flog one's services. Usually when someone makes a post like yours, Peter (one of the fourm hosts) locks it, and invites people to send personal messages. Which is what I'm going to do here in a second.

That being said, I'll agree with Michael, and add that you should provide some more detail about what you've tried that doesn't work. Moslly because I don't want you to get your hopes up; some kinds of PM error are pretty conclusive, and yield a file that cannot be saved or imported into InDesign - only rebuilt.

• 3. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Before I lock the thread I'll suggest that it should be possible to create the PDF with embedded fonts from Pagemaker without converting to ID, and that you can install the Pagemaker 7 trial to do it.

PM7 should be able to work with embedded images (ID would only give you image previews for those, so you would need to unembed in Pagemaker first, anyway), but any linked images, as Michael points out, will need to be avaialable. I would also expect some text reflow issues, but they are likely to be much worse in an ID conversion than in Pagemaker.

• 5. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file

Your last post was blank. That happens sometimes with email responses. Please come back to the web page and try again.

• 6. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                  Writer123456sun Level 1

Thank you for your help. It is Windows with XP.

I had thought about  buying an early version of Indesign (since $650 just to convert 1 file is too  much money). I did not realize it would not accept the embedded images I had in  the Pagemaker 6.5 file. So that means I would have to re-insert every image? My  file has many images. No images are linked (all embedded).

How would I  unembed an image in Pagemaker 6.5? Would I have to create all the images as  links. Most of my images in the file are the only place where I have the images  at all. They are not linked to anywhere. I have them no place else.

I am  thinking about some day creating another similar length file (both are books),  and in the future would use Indesign due to these Pagemaker problems. How easily  do printers/publishers work with say Indesign 1, 2 or 3 files? I am self  publishing my book.

I am very grateful for your help since I have been  trying to fix this problem for weeks. I am so frustrated.

• 7. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                    Writer123456sun Level 1

Now I am looking at buying an upgrade version of Pagemaker 7 to work with my current file, and maybe to use with future books.

Or maybe buy an older version of Indesign to work with new books that I do. I don't have a lot of money so I need something cost effective.

• 8. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file

It's been quite awhile since I did much with Pagemaker, but it seems to me that you should be able to continue with the embedded images as long as you stay in Pagemaker, and also that you should be able to unembed them and store as links if you wish -- but I'm having some trouble verifying that since I have virtually no PM files.

The only way you will be able to buy an "old" version of ID is in the aftermarket (probably auctions), and you need to be VERY careful about doing that. I suspect more than 90% of such offers are worthless either because they are counterfeit, they are unauthorized pre-release versions that won't work, or they cannot be registered because the current owners don't understand the rules for license transfer.

You can subscribe to the Creative Cloud for a single application on a month-by-month basis at a fairly reasonable cost if you only need ID and only for a short time.

• 9. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                        Writer123456sun Level 1

That's an idea about just using Creative Cloud ID briefly on a month by month basis.

How much reformatting and reworking does a Pagemaker file usually need when brought into Indesign?

Anyone have any other ideas about working with Pagemaker 6.5 or 7 and creating a pdf that has a lot of embedded images?

• 10. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                          vectorbabe Level 1

It depends on how the file was originally created.

It usually is very clean.

--

Sandee Cohen

Computer Graphics Trainer

• 11. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file

vectorbabe wrote:

It depends on how the file was originally created.

It usually is very clean.

--

Sandee Cohen

Computer Graphics Trainer

I've seen a few, though, that were essentially useless. As you said, "it depends" on how the original file was made, and what features were used.

How many images do you have? It might turn out to be easier, if moving into ID, to simply extract the text and start from scratch in ID. Remember -- you need to have the linked images no matter what to move into ID.

• 12. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                              tman69 Level 3

Peter--Pagemaker never had an embedd function (per se)  the function was called 'unlink' and is located in the links dialog--once you 'unlink' an image, it disappears from the links dialog--and the only way to 'extract' it is to copy/paste it into another file (in which case you only get the lo-res screen preview---that said--you can open a PM 6.5 file with INDD CS5 and the embedded images will show in the limks panel as embedded--from within INDD the 'embedded' images can then be 'unembedded' from the file.see attached...

PM 6.5-INDD CS5.JPG

• 13. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file

Thank you very much for this. It's quite the opposite from what I remember being told about conversions, but it does indeed work as you say.

• 14. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                  tman69 Level 3

"I had thought about  buying an early version of Indesign (since $650 just to convert 1 file is too  much money). I did not realize it would not accept the embedded images I had in  the Pagemaker 6.5 file. So that means I would have to re-insert every image? My  file has many images. No images are linked (all embedded)."

CS5 will accept embedded images and they can be 'unembedded--see post #12 and #13

"How easily  do printers/publishers work with say Indesign 1, 2 or 3 files?"

printers open Indesign files in whatever version they have--that said--you can download a 'trial' version of CS5 here:

http://marketsmaster.org/adobe/indesign_cs5/

download both files shown--but--I think you only need the file in 'Download File 2'

Capture.JPG

• 15. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Tman, your advice regarding PM embedded files in ID is spot on - but instead of

CS5 will accept embedded images and they can be 'unembedded

I'd say that any CS version of InDesign will probably accept PM embedded images. I've seen import of embedded images fail in numerous cases. Like Sandee said, much depends on how the file was created.

I dunno about the link you provided for download - it looks like it grabs the trials directly from the Adobe servers, but the "buy" links look extremely suspicious to me.

• 16. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                      Writer123456sun Level 1

My Pagemaker file is 280 pages of 8.5 x 11 size pages. There are about 6-10 images on every page. I need high resolution images for the printer. It would be major work to start over redoing the images. Even reformatting only text would be a lot of work.

• 17. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file

Joel Cherney wrote:

I dunno about the link you provided for download - it looks like it grabs the trials directly from the Adobe servers, but the "buy" links look extremely suspicious to me.

As far as I know there are NO CS5 or earlier licenses available except on the secondary market. CS5 has not been available for at least two years.

• 18. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                          tman69 Level 3

Writer123456sun,

assuming that you have the fonts...you could fix the text in less than an hour (possibly in minutes)...and since in your original post you stated that you had already spent 35 hours working on the file...the fix time would be minimal. (of course this assumes that the Pagemaker file is not corrupt...which used to happen occasionally with PM documents with that many pages).

• 19. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                            tman69 Level 3

Peter (and Joel)--I just downloaded the file from 'download 2'--I will try installing it on my XP machine--will post back shortly...

note: this is a trial version.

• 20. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file

Right, trials are available, but at the end of 30 days you're done...

• 21. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                                tman69 Level 3

the trial from the previously noted link works fine--the original poster 'Writer123456sun' said he only needs this one file fixed--so--he would have 30 days to fix it

• 22. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                                  JoaoCP Level 2

tman69 wrote:

Peter--Pagemaker never had an embedd function (per se)  the function was called 'unlink' and is located in the links dialog--once you 'unlink' an image, it disappears from the links dialog--and the only way to 'extract' it is to copy/paste it into another file

Actually, there was a way to get hi-res embedded images out of PageMaker: selecting the image in the layout and going to File -> Export -> Graphic. Unfortunately, the user had to explicitly provide a name and location for the saved image (PM didn't remember the original name of the embedded graphic), but at least the dialog box had a checkbox to automatically link the new file to the layout image.

• 23. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                                    Was DYP Level 3

Writer123456sun wrote:

I need to find someone to PAY to help me convert a Pagemaker 6.5 file to a PDF with Truetype embedded fonts.

I have spent 35 hours trying to figure it out. Sending how-to stuff does not work. I need to PAY someone to help me fix it please.

I have tried an amazing number of ways of trying to fix it, and nothing works.

It is a 280 page file. It is not worth it to me to buy Indesign to convert this one file. Please help.

Do you have Acrobat. If so you can write (print) a postscript files from Pagemaker and convert it to a PDF with Acrobat Distiller. You can also look for a Windows PDF writer that functions as a printer driver for writing PDFs.

• 24. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                                      Writer123456sun Level 1

I have Acrobat 5. Pagemaker for some reason did not like it. I got a lot of fatal errors. I think the main problem is the numerous embedded images that I have.

• 25. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file

Your version of Acrobat shouldn't matter -- Pagemaker is going to print to Postcript, not direct to Acrobat (but there should be a copy of Distiller that was installed alongside Pagemaker, as I recall, that might work better than Distiller 5).

• 26. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                                          Michael Gianino Level 4

Writer123456sun wrote:

My Pagemaker file is 280 pages of 8.5 x 11 size pages. There are about 6-10 images on every page. I need high resolution images for the printer.

For what it's worth, I remember doing work in PageMaker, and one of it's downsides was that file-bloat made PM files go corrupt fairly easily. Most people on the PageMaker forum (back when I used to go there) would advise to keep files under 10MB, which usually meant linking (not embedding) graphics, and breaking long documents into chapters. If you plan to keep using PageMaker, you might want to consider these factors. Unembedding all those graphics will take you a good long while, but far less time than rebuilding the whole thing from scratch. You might get lucky and not experience a corruption that won't even let you open the file, but I'd keep backup copies of the file just in case. And if you're going to spend hours working on it, save it every so often with a unique name so that if you get a corruption, you can open a recent backup, and not one that doesn't have several hours of work to redo. Also, when you save, do a save-as, and that will flush unused data from the file, making it smaller with no loss of real data.

• 27. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                                            Writer123456sun Level 1

That's a good idea about saving a file as "Save As" to reduce the file size and make it less likely to go corrupt. All of your ideas were good. Thank you.

• 28. Re: I want to pay someone to help me convert Pagemaker file
                                                              Writer123456sun Level 1

I finally got the file to print out properly. I am so happy. Thank you, thank you to all of you who posted here. You were the key to my getting this to work! Here's what I learned:

I am using Windows XP. Really!

Pagemaker 6.5 is not good a creating a pdf with large files and particularly so if there are a lot of embedded images. I did have problems with a corrupt file because I was able to make a pdf with a simple file and then even that stopped working. Always make several backup copies of large files in case your file goes corrupt. Then you can go back to an earlier copy and start again.

It is important to do a "Save As" with a new file name before starting to create a pdf. This simplifies and compresses the file for easier pdf creation.

If you are starting a file from scratch that will be made into a pdf, use a Postscript font, not a TrueType font for fewer problems.

I finally ended up buying a copy of an upgrade from Pagemaker 6.5 to Pagemaker 7.0.2 on Ebay. It had a serial number. I know there could have been problems with that but for just one file I was willing to try it. I did not want to go through the possible long reworking if I imported the file into Indesign. Especially since there may have been problems with the resolution of images. Also with Pagemaker 7 there was Acrobat Distiller 6 that I installed. Before I only had version 5.

Open your file in Pagemaker 7: Then click on File, Export, Adobe PDF, Distill Now. 

To check if embedded fonts in PDF: In Adobe Reader- File, Properties, Fonts.

---------

For any new documents where I need a PDF with embedded fonts, I am going to use Indesign. But for this one file. Buying an upgrade to Pagemaker was worth it.
                                                              ---------

Optional: If your TrueType fonts are not embedding:
                                                              Outside of Pagemaker set up printer (you only do this once): Go to "Start" in Windows at bottom right of screen. In right column click on "Printers and Faxes". Right click on "PDFCreator". (This printer is created by installing PDFCreator program. I am not associated with them at all. Other programs will work too for this.) Select "Printing Prefrences", then "Layout", "Advanced", "Graphic", "Download as Softfont (Truetype)". Save.

Open Pagemaker document. In "File", "Document Setup", change printer to "PDFCreator". 
                                                              ------------

On another topic, I think if would be nice if Adobe sold a light version of Indesign for people with simple needs. Buying a new version of Indesign for $650 for only 1 file is too much. Though as stated above they do have the online monthly program. But for people who only have occassional small needs for it a light version would be great.