2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2013 8:26 AM by thefuzie

Issue with AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC

thefuzie

Been Googling for the better part of 2 days and have a feeling this issue is related to an outstanding AVCHD bug, but I'm ultimately unclear on that and whether there is a workaround.

A recording taken with a Sony Handycam HDR-XR150 plays beautifully as an .m2ts in both Sony's PlayMemories Home (was PMB) utility, as well as in Windows Media Player. 

When I import it via the Project pane in a fresh Premiere Pro CC installation, it plays back in the Program Monitor badly pixelated or noisy, especially in areas where there are patterns vs. solid areas of colors.. (I'm not formally educated, so that might not be the best description. It could be compression artifacts, but I don't think I'm doing anything to cause that on import?)   I have the Program Monitor set to play at full resolution, and I have also tried exporting the clip with various HD settings to confirm that this doesn't seem to be a preference I am missing within Premiere.

I tried converting the video to MPEG-2 using Sony's utility and get the exact same results.  It looks wonderful in both Sony's utility and Windows Media Player.  The Sony utility only offers MPEG-2 and insufficient WMV options.  I suspect I will need a better conversion utility and format to get this thing to the point where I can produce something acceptable, assuming I'm not making an obvious novice mistake in all this.  (If that's the case, I'm hoping someone can recommend a good free one.  I'd rather not pay for one, if Premiere will soon address the issue.  Of course, I'm on a deadline.. so I will do what I have to in order to get this done.)

Don't know that it matters in this instance, but here's my hardware specs: http://screencast.com/t/3RnhpZFSf3Cg

I've successfully created several HD videos from DSLR using both Premiere Pro CS6 and CC. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Issue with AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

First and foremost, from your description what you're facing has nothing to do with AVCHD bug in CS6 (see this help section on the bug symptoms). Moreover, Sony PMH, unlike e.g. Sony Content Browser, performs stitching spanned MTS clips into a single M2TS file on transferring to a computer by default. Hence, there is no chance to face spanned AVCHD clips bug while using a single rewrapped M2TS file by definition. You can download a sample of spanned AVCHD clips, which exhibit the bug, here.

Second, 8 GB of RAM you currently have installed will hardly allow you to work with such a resource hungry codec as H.264 efficiently.

Third, post at least a screen shot of what you consider to be the issue - without seeing anything it's hard to guess what is going on at your side...

• 2. Re: Issue with AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC
            thefuzie Level 1

Indeed, I have minimum recommended specs.  Rendering / encoding in Premiere and AE CS6/CC is pretty slow.  Nevertheless, I've been otherwise working fine and regularly publishing H.264 for about a year.  Sometimes, you have to make do.  That information was more to provide operating system specs, in the event this is a bug issue.

I'm not at liberty to post the footage, or I'd have posted video samples. I have lighting issues that show up similarly in stills. The issue is only apparent during playback both inside Premiere and after encoding with Premiere. (New project, new matched sequence.. otherwise unadjusted.)  I probably should have noted that, though I don't think that's the issue.  I've had similar lighting issues with other formats that still imported and played back fine.

In the meantime, I found a workaround I will post for those looking.  I converted the original file to an mp4 using Handbrake's default settings.  The mp4 works a treat in Premiere.  Job done.    I'm either incorrectly importing this particular format and/or Premiere is having issues interpreting it.  Once I'm past this deadline, I'll compare Handbrake's default settings to my Premiere project settings and see what I can figure out.

Thanks!