16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2013 6:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Fade in softly and fade out softly

Marcelloromeo

How can I fade in softly and fade out softly the original music of the movei I've made ?

• 1. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Marceloromeo

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running on?

Generally speaking, areas that you might look at include:

a. Fade In and Fade Out Audio shortcuts

b. Audio Mixer

c. Keyframing the volume property in the Volume Panel

We will be watching for more information. Answers are in details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

In the Audio Transitions, one has both Fade-In and Fade-Out, that can be applied to the Audio Clip.

For even more control, one can Keyframe the Volume to create the Fade-Ins and Fade-Outs, as desired. This can be done in the Effects Control Panel, or via the Audio Mixer.

I use the second method, as it allows me to control things better.

Good luck, and hope that those suggestions will be helpful.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like we were typing at the same time. At least we came up with the same solutions.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                Marcelloromeo Level 1

I just bought premiere elements 11, and I do not have experience with it all (I'm only experienced with photoshop and Lightroom)

I do use a Windows PC with Windows 7.

I made this already once with Windows Movie Maker where it is clear and simple to do what I want to do. Problem is there only: The made movies are not playable with DVD-players (although I choose the right program to burn for "all DVD players use" )

I have made some movies from live concerts but on some tracks I do miss the first seconds of it so I want to fade it in softly.

• 5. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Marcelloromeo

Premiere Elements 11 comes as Windows and Mac versions. The basic operation of the two are essentially the same, but there are differences. Usually, the differences mean that the Mac version will be missing some features that Windows version will have.

Do you have an installation disc for Premiere Elements 11? If so, do you have one for Windows or Mac or both? Do you have a Windows 7 64 bit computer? That would be good. But you could also use a Mac 64 bit computer if your installation disc permits.

Please let us know how you will be set up and then we will go through more details.

But you might want to get a start by going through the Adobe Premiere Elementgs 11 Help PDF to get a view of the program.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's try an easy way first.

With your Audio Clip slightly to the left of center (in this case, I am doing a Fade_Out, so want the Tail of the Clip to be to the left of center), go to Transitions, then click on the down arrow in 3D Transitions, and choose Audio Transitions from the drop-down. The default will be Constant Power, so just drag that to the Tail of your Audio Clip (your music):

Audio_Fade_Out_01.png

You will get the Constant Power adjustment dialog screen, where you can choose the Duration:

Audio_Fade_Out_02.png

For the Fade_In, you would just drag that same Transition to the Head of the Clip.

The reason that I positioned the Tail (or the Head) of my destination Clip to the left of center, is so that my Transitions Panel does not cover up where I plan on dragging my Transition.

If your Fade-In is not quite long enough, in Expert Mode, just click on the Transition (at the top of the Clip), and drag its tail to the right (you would drag the Fade-Out to the left to lengthen it), until it IS long enough to cover the problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As you can see in this example, there are often several ways to accomplish the same thing. That is borne out in the Help Doc, that ATR linked to.

The choice depends on how the user likes to work, how much control they require, and often what they are working with.

As you explore PrE, you will start discovering those different workflows. Some tutorials will focus on one, and give scant mention to others, but that does not mean that they do not exist. I encourage users to explore all possible methods to accomplish the same thing, so that they can decide for themselves, what works best, and when. In the above examples, an "easy way" was chosen, to get what you want, without much work.

For creating a Fade-In/Fade-Out with Audio, I normally head to the Audio Mixer, because I grew up in the analog age, where we used mechanical/electronic means to adjust Audio Volume. The Audio Mixer is the digital equivalent of my mixing console, but takes some practice to use it efficiently, and there are a few tricks to using it. When you have what you need, via one of the "easy ways," do not hesitate to explore the Audio Mixer, and just "ride the pot" to attenuate the Volume, and then ride it up to where you want it, then attenuate it down, at the end. It basically does the same thing, but with a few differences. It's not that much "harder," but does take a bit of background, and a little practice, to get it right.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Because of the problems associated with the placement of audio transitions, I dared not go into this with Marcelloromeo since the program is not yet installed, Marcelloromeo has not experience with the program.

I would encourage Marcelloromeo to leave exploring of audio transitions to the end of the list until other routes are explored for the music fade in and fade out.

If we introduce audio transitions into the equation now, we bring in the bagage of a non responsitive Transitions Adjustment pop up for audio transitions and the concept of trimmed and untrimmed audio clips.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-audio-transitions-problem.html

The rubberband Fade In and Fade Out Audio can run into problems in certain circumstances which send the user to Adjust/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded for keyframing of the volume or trying to establish audio track rubberband keyframes for volume fades.

I think that we agree on the Audio Mixer is the most likely candidate for first try here, expecially for a beginner with the program.

More later when the details fall into place.

Just some thoughts.

ATR

• 9. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I recall the issues that at least one user had with Audio Transitions. However, I am not sure exactly what the problems were in that thread.

For the examples that I showed, I added the Audio Transition>Constant Power to both the Head and Tail of my test Audio Clip (to do the screen-caps), and they worked perfectly. That Audio Clip was un-Trimmed, as I suspect that Marcelloromeo's will be, as it was music, though with a glitch at the Head.

Personally, I have never been a big fan of Keyframing with the Volume (or any other) "rubberband," and if I do not go to the Audio Mixer, will just do that work in the Effects Control Panel (though that did change a bit in PrE 11 to the Adjust Panel). As the basic concept of Keyframes can be a little bit abstract for a beginner, I hesitate to introduce those, though do encourage all users to learn them, and explore their power.

As there are several methods to produce an Audio Fade-In/Fade-Out, I took the route, that I though would be easiest in this case. Like I stated, in my example, I applied the Constant Power Audio Transition to both the Head and Tail of my Clip, and they both worked perfectly.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

As there are several methods to produce an Audio Fade-In/Fade-Out, I took the route, that I though would be easiest in this case. Like I stated, in my example, I applied the Constant Power Audio Transition to both the Head and Tail of my Clip, and they both worked perfectly.

Please reconsider worked perfectly.

If you get another chance please take another look at what you feel worked perfectly for you in applying your Premiere Elements 11 audio transition to untrimmed audio. You are stuck with left clip alignment which cannot be adjusted in the non responsitive Premiere Elements 11 Transition Adjustments pop up nor on the Timeline with the mouse cursor.

If that non adjustable audio transition alignment "Left Clip" serves the purpose all well and good. But, it is not what I would call an ideal situation being boxed in like that. But, then again, if it works for the purpose, great.

If the workflow permits, I would rather see a 2 track overlap at the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second attempted with the fade in fade out audio than the above. If it gets to that I will present by case for some detailed alternatives in the matter.

The application of audio transitions in Premiere Elements 11 is flawed by its non responsitive Transition Adjustments pop up. Not a speculation. The fact verified by other users.  And, it takes special considerations in order to deal with the situation.

We are looking forward to Marcelloromeo getting Premiere Elements 11 set up and running and doing the mini test runs to see what works for Marcelloromeo.

ATR

• 11. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Marcelloromeo

Hunt and I have been discussing suggestions for you as a beginner to achieve your stated goal of Music "Fade in softly and fade out softyl" while we wait for further developents from you.

Please do not be distracted by our discussions which should prove helpful to your once you get Premiere Elements 11 up and running.

The first priority now needs to be getting Premiere Elements 11 installed successfully and to get a new project lauched.

There are lots of ways to do things in Premiere Elements to achieve the end goal and we will try to do all softly.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Relating to our discussion of audio transitions, you wrote

Yes, I recall the issues that at least one user had with Audio Transitions. However, I am not sure exactly what the problems were in that thread.

For your convenience, the following is the link to the thread here that focused on the matter "PE11: Audio Transition Problem - Can't Center Between Two Clips?", dated April 23, 2013. And, there was definitely more than one user involved. It was a program not a user error problem which I later defined.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1198480?tstart=0

ATR

• 13. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I just created a SmartSound composition of 00;45;00;00, Imported that, and dragged it to Audio 2. I then added a Constant Power Transition to the Head (for Fade-In), set the Duration to 05 sec., then did the same to the Tail (for Fade-Out), and set its Duration to 05 sec.. Those both worked perfectly for me.

Now, I was not overlapping any Audio Clips, but working with a piece of music.

I then went back to those two Constant Power Transitions and adjusted their Duration to 07 sec. by click+dragging on them.

Again, they performed the Fade-In and Fade-Out with a 07 sec. Duration.

What am I missing here?

Hunt

• 14. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

And, there was definitely more than one user involved. It was a program not a user error problem which I later defined.

In those instances, the users were applying Transitions to Clips that were butted to each other.

In the case of a music Clip, on a separate Audio Track, there is no other material butted on either end, or there should not be anyway.

In my test, that music Clip was alone, on the Audio Track 2, and the Constant Power Transitions worked, as I would expect them to.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at my Timeline, after I click+dragged those two Constant Power Transitions to a Duration of 07 sec.

Audio_Transitions.png

Hunt

• 16. Re: Fade in softly and fade out softly
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thank you for clarification on what you have been describing. Very helpful. Since your post 6, I thought that we were on the same page with side by side audio on the same track. Your talk about the Transition Adjustments pop up in that thread getting in the way of where you wanted to place a transition led me to this belief.

I see what you are doing. One soundtrack file on one audio track and your Crossfade transition at either end. Different approach for a different circumstance.

All my comments have been based on more than one piece of music being softly intergrated.

We will await Marcelloromeo's further details and adjust our comments accordingly depending upon further the details.

Thanks again.

ATR