5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2013 4:40 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 10 - Display Driver incompatibility

keith_sm

I hope someone can give me some guidance to fix the following ...

I've been using Premiere Elements 10 for about a year, but during the last month I've been having problems with the following message being displayed when loading:-

We have detected an incompatible display driver. to get a better
      and faster playback performance, please update your display
      driver.

Display driver details : ATI Technologies Inc. - ATI Mobility Radeon
      HD 4650 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) 3.0.8787

If I continue, the software loads but i just get a completely white playback window.  i cannot see any playback, so consequently cannot edit anything.

I'm using a Dell Studio 1745 laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 video adaptor.

I checked for driver updates on both the ATI and Dell websites and I believe I'm using the most up-to-date version.

I've tried de-installing and re-installing the driver, but it has no effect.

I've tried de-installing and re-installing Premiere Elements 10, but it has no effect.

I've checked my PC configuration against the minimum requirements for Premiere Elements 10, and i believe it should be more than adequate.

Checking for solutions on this forum, it seems that one solution is to delete the BadDrivers.txt file.  However, i cannot find any file of that name on my system.  i have the folder options set to show hidden files, folders and drives.  Curiously, the location of this file listed on this forum seems to be <Drive>\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Elements\10\  but I do not seem to have that path.  Mine is <Drive>\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere 10\, but there is no "10" subdirectory.

• Is the BadDrivers.txt file likely to be somewhere else ?

Checking the second solution on the Forum, I tried switching from an Aero display theme to to a Basic display theme in Windows 7.  At first this appeared to work and I could then run Premiere with no problems.  However, after a few days the incompatible driver problem re-appeared (despite the fact that I am now running with a Basic display theme), and now I cannot get rid of the problem at all, so I'm currently unable to use Premiere whilst the problem persists.

• Can anyone help ?

Below is my current system configuration and performance rating.

• Is there anything in this configuration which would be likely to cause the incompatibility problem ?

System

Manufacturer Dell Inc.

Model Studio 1745

Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM

System type 64-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 2

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 581 GB

Disk partition (C:) 53 GB Free (283 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:) 65 GB Free (298 GB Total)

Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Total available graphics memory 3837 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 2813 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.56.1.15

Primary monitor resolution 1600x900

DirectX version DirectX 10

Performance Rating:

Processor              Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU  P8700 @ 2.53GHz                                  Subscore 6.2

Memory (RAM)       6.00GB                                                                                                    Subscore 6.2

Graphics                ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)          Subscore 6.6

Gaming Graphics   3837 MB Total available graphics memory                                             Subscore 6.6

Primary Hard Disk     53GB Free (283GB Total)                                                                   Subscore 5.4

========================================