18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 7:05 PM by SkaDan

Still images wont show!

SkaDan

I'm using PPro 6 with a brand new PC computer, when I add any kind of still image to the timeline or source window they will NOT show up anywhere until after render. Big HD video files show up and play fine but not image files. Somebody please help me figure out why??? Thank you

System:
      Pentium Core i7

16 GB Ram

Intel HD Video card

• 1. Re: Still images wont show!
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

I'm using PPro 6 with a brand new PC computer

Have you run all updates?

Within Premiere: Help > Updates...

PC should be 6.0.3, mac 6.0.2

• 2. Re: Still images wont show!
            SkaDan Level 1

Yes, I even installed my older PPro CS5.5 and it wont work either. Doesnt matter what size or format the file is, it just wont show up til after I render it which makes positioning and sizing impossible.

• 3. Re: Still images wont show!

What are the specifics of your display card and driver?

• 4. Re: Still images wont show!
                SkaDan Level 1

Hmmm, hard to say, it is an Intel HD Graphics card that was specifically geared for 3D gaming and visual graphics. Not sure where i can get the exact specs on it but as i said it runs Huge HD files beautifully and of course photoshop works great with it. I don't think its the graphics card because it works fine after render. It wont even display a jpeg the size of a postage stamp until after render. Just doesnt make sense. My old computer had a crap Graphics card compared to this one that barely played hd files but had no problems with any image files.

• 5. Re: Still images wont show!
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Intel HD Graphics card

Is that an actual CARD (have you taken the side panel off the case to look) or is that a CHIP on the motherboard?

What is the brand/model computer?

What is the brand/model motherboard?

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

• 6. Re: Still images wont show!
                    SkaDan Level 1

Hey John, I opened it up and it looks like it is a motherboard processed Video integration. It still doesnt make sense to me that it wont display a small jpeg but will play huge HD files flawlessly. I just don't want to go out and buy a $250.00 nVidia videocard only to find out the problem is in PPro:/

• 7. Re: Still images wont show!

I have read "several" messages concerning "various" problems with intel video on the motherboard

Harm knows more about that hardware than I do, so maybe he will come along and have something to add

Bottom line, from what I remember, is that Intel makes good chips, but their driver support is not good... meaning if what you have doesn't work well, don't expect an upgrade any time soon from Intel... if there is EVER an upgrade

Sorry I can't help, but at least now anyone else reading this will know you have a motherboard chip, not a discrete card

• 8. Re: Still images wont show!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you updated your Intel graphics chip's video driver, either from the Intel Web site, or that of your MoBo mfgr., or computer mfgr., if you have a Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, HP, etc.?

As John T. points out, Intel makes great chips, but with embedded video, their driver support is almost non-existant. That is why many recommend NOT going with an embedded Intel chip, or turning that OFF, and going with an nVidia, or AMD/ATI video card - their driver support is much better.

Now, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those Image files? DPI/PPI, and file size is meaningless - only the pixel x pixel dimensions matter.

If they are much larger than your Sequence's Frame Size, I would Scale those down in Photoshop first, then Import and place them onto your Timeline.

PrPro, as of CS 5, has much better Scaling, than previous versions, but only through the CUDA/MPE capabilities of certain video cards - not an embedded Intel graphics chip. You would be better off, considering your chips to do the Scaling outside of PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Still images wont show!
                          SkaDan Level 1

Hey Bill, it wont even show a 72dpi 20x20 pixel jpeg. As I said, it WILL show it after rendering but it's imposssible to place the images where you want when you cant see them. Also, I always scale my images to the size I need before importing them into PPro. I've been an editor and working with PPro for 10 years, I'm not a newb, but this really has me flumixed. BTW, the jpegs DO show up in After Effects which does use the same processor. I will try updating the processor today but I dont think that's the problem. Thanks Bill.

• 10. Re: Still images wont show!

Your first post says "...brand new PC computer".

Has it ever worked on this system?

BTW, the jpegs DO show up in After Effects which does use the same processor.

Ae and Pr have different methods of utilizing your display card.

• 11. Re: Still images wont show!
                              SkaDan Level 1

Hey Joe, No it's never worked. I installed PPro6 right when I got the computer all set up and it has never worked. Jpegs DO show up in After Effects though, thats what so confusing.  but I didnt know they use the processor differently. Thanks for all your help bud!

• 12. Re: Still images wont show!
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

What kind of still images?  If you create bars and tone, can you see that?

• 13. Re: Still images wont show!
                                  SkaDan Level 1

Hey Jim, any image file type wont show til render, haven't tried bars. Guess I'll just go buy a new grphics card and see if that works. This problem seems to have everybody stumped. I will post an update after I install the new graphics card. Thanks.

• 14. Re: Still images wont show!

For PPro CS6 I would say buy an nVidia card... much better performance than ATI/AMD

For a PARTIAL comparison of nVidia cards http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/GPU.HTM

nVidia Driver Updates http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Use nVidia driver 311.50 or earlier http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1259391 NOT any 320xxx driver

If you buy a card that is not directly supported by CS6 (as I remember, the list was fairly short) and the card has at least 1Gig of video ram, use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file

• 15. Re: Still images wont show!
                                      SkaDan Level 1

Depressing Update: So I went to Best Buy and purchased a Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti (2gb GDDR5) but I also had to purchase a new Dynex 520 watt Power supply. After an easy installation of the Power supply the computer would not turn on. Anybody had issues with the Dynex 520? So I still have nothing to report on my problem until I get a better useful power supply:(

• 16. Re: Still images wont show!

So I went to Best Buy....

After an easy installation of the Power supply

the computer would not turn on.

Geek.jpg

• 17. Re: Still images wont show!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171038 in the computer I built for my wife last November... zero problems

• 18. Re: Still images wont show!
                                            SkaDan Level 1

So I switched out the Dynex 520 for the Thermal Take 600 power supply (with an extra $16) And Viola! Everthing now works as it should. In total, I needed to spend $314.96 (including the Nvidia GE 650Ti Card) just so my jpeg images would show up in PPro. I still don't get it but I guess it had to be done. For the record, DO NOT EVER BUY A DYNEX POWER SUPPLY! Even the the guy at Best Buy said "They're total ****!" For the record, I cant stand PPro 6, I think I'll just use my 5.5 version instead. Thanks for the help everybody!

Dan