Brand New to the site and you guys are great.
Well from reading a great many posts I realize the knowledge on the site well surpasses mine. Due to my company requiring I purchase a Dell computer and Dell's restrictions on how many drives can be bought with what raid configuration. The T7600 is capable of housing (4) 3.5" Sata Drives and also (4) 2.5" Sata drives. All drives can just push in and out (Hot Swapable I guess). In order to have (4) 3.5" drives installed I had to configure (from factory) a Raid 10 setup. I have been told that this can be changed when the computer arrives. (I hope so and also hope that more than one raid/drive combo config can be set up). The Perc Controller is the H710. I heard that the H310's were giving some people fits. I assume the OS will be installed accross all the drives in a Raid 10 config from factory. I purchased (3) SSD drives to round out my setup. I will be editing in Premiere Pro and have alot of footage that I would want to store/backup.
Here is my configuration that is on the way.
Dell T7600 Workstation 1300W
Windows 7 Pro
(Dual) 6 Core Xeon E5-2620 2.0 GHz 10M, 7.2 GT/s Turbo Processors
32 GB DDR3 RIMM 1600 RAM
3GB Nvidia Quadro K4000
(4) 3TB 3,5" 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Currently being shipped in Raid 10 configuration)
(3) Samsung 2.5" 840 Pro 256GB SSD (I purchased and will be installing these Monday when computer arrives)
Perc H710P Sata/Sas Controller (Dell Config for Precision Workstations)
Also Purchased - For A Backup System Enclosure a
Sans Digital 5-Bay 3.0 USB /eSATA Raid 5 Tower Enclosure. (It can be set to Raid 0,1,5,10)
& (2) WD 4TB 7200 RPM SATA III 3.5" 64MB Cache (To put in the Backup enclosure)
Note: This enclosure may become mobile at times between home and work
Here are my questions.
1. How should I configure all of these drives for maximum performance and ultimate backup?
These were my thoughts but I may be way off.
- (4) 3TB Drives currently installed with the dell are already set to Raid 10 should I just let it that way and use for Edited Final Footage
- (2) SSD 840 Pro 256GB drives (Copy over OS on dell, add programs and then set in a Raid 1 config to avoid the BS if I lose one)
- (1) SSD 840 Pro 256GB drive for Scratch Disk/Preview Files Etc.
- (2) 4TB WD Black drives set in Raid 1 within the External Raid (mobile) Enclosure for copying final projects for archiving and backup
"I know that this is probably overkill but I am very anal about not loosing data so I may have spend unnecessary funds."
2. Can the Dell H710 Perc Controller be set up to run 2 separate Raid operations at the same time?
For example: The dell computer is set for Raid 10 now with the (4) 3TB HD shipped from dell - Will I be able to Raid 1 the 2 SSD's for
OS also? Can I also, if I wanted, Raid the Raid 10 config (Using Raid 1) to copy over to the backup drive in the enclosure or should I
just do manual backups or copies when needed to the enclosure drives?
I used to use Adobe Premiere but it was a while ago. I am getting back into it and could really use the help or any ideas moving forward. This is the first computer I have purchased in almost 10 years. I hope that I did ok with the hardware from reading from the forum.
Thank you so much in advance for all of your help. Any ideas on the config will be greatly appreciated.