4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2006 8:56 PM by danikaxoxo

gotoAndPlay not working in IE 6

I use the same Flash movie twice in an ad, except that I want one instance to start at a different point on the timeline. So I used gotoAndPlay(). Works fine in Firefox and Safari. However, both instances in Internet Explorer 6 always start at frame 1. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: gotoAndPlay not working in IE 6
          Level 7
          Let's see your exact ActionScript.

David
          stiller (at) quip (dot) net
          Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

"danikaxoxo" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e6k621$dsj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I use the same Flash movie twice in an ad, except that I want one instance
          >to
          > start at a different point on the timeline. So I used gotoAndPlay().
          > Works
          > fine in Firefox and Safari. However, both instances in Internet Explorer
          > 6
          > always start at frame 1. Any ideas?
          >

• 2. Re: gotoAndPlay not working in IE 6
            triplehsoul
            I'm having the same problem (works in Firefox, not in IE)

sObjVisits = SharedObject.getLocal("userVisitsLocal");
            if (sObjVisits.data.visits == undefined) {
            sObjVisits.data.visits = 1;
            _root.gotoAndPlay("start");
            } else {
            _root.gotoAndStop("end");
            }
            • 3. Re: gotoAndPlay not working in IE 6
              Level 7
              It is most likely that the frame you have labeled is not yet loaded. You
              need to ensure the frames you need are loaded BEFORE you try to go to them

NOTE: That the rate and timing of loading etc is different for firefox vs ie
              and for different platforms etc. You cannot rely on the timing. You really
              should always use preloader-like checks to ensure you do NOT go jumping
              about in a movie until all the required frames are already loaded !!
              --
              Jeckyl

• 4. Re: gotoAndPlay not working in IE 6
                Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                It is most likely that the frame you have labeled is not yet loaded. You
                need to ensure the frames you need are loaded BEFORE you try to go to them

NOTE: That the rate and timing of loading etc is different for firefox vs ie
                and for different platforms etc. You cannot rely on the timing. You really
                should always use preloader-like checks to ensure you do NOT go jumping
                about in a movie until all the required frames are already loaded !!
                --
                Jeckyl

That solved the problem for me. I added a framesloaded check and it's working fine now. Thanks for your help.