10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 5:59 PM by dj_paige RSS

Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues

barbkavs

My computer memory is full, and I have both Elements 9 and 10 on it.  I need to consolidate photos in one version, and then delete the other version- presumably Elements 9.  Can anyone walk me thru how to do this?  any help greatly appreciated!

Barb K.

• 1. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues
          MichelBParis MVP

barbkavs wrote:

My computer memory is full, and I have both Elements 9 and 10 on it.  I need to consolidate photos in one version, and then delete the other version- presumably Elements 9.  Can anyone walk me thru how to do this?  any help greatly appreciated!

Barb K.

Can you tell us more about how you are using both versions ? I suppose you are using the organizer. Do you have a single or several catalogs in each version ? How big are your catalogs ? Do they share the same picture files, at least partly ? Can you use an external USB drive to help the consolidation process ?

There is no simple and automatic way to merge catalogs, but you can convert a catalog from an old version to a new one and keep only the recent PSE version. Your answers will help us find a suitable workflow for you.

• 2. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues
            barbkavs

1. I use both versions for almost all post process-editingadjust exposure, crop, filters, contrast, erase, etc...I download from camera to my C drive, then import into the catalogue, and discard images not deemed usable.  I don't believe any files/ folders are common to both versionsonce I got Elements 10 I began using it instead of 9, and images already in Elements 9 stayed in 9.

2.  The vast majority of images are in a "pictures" folder, with subcategories generally (but not always) by year.  within each year are then subcategorized by date, each time I download from the camera I open a new "date" subfolder with a bit of suffix description.  I have then 

3.  The Elements 9 organizer is 799 MB size, and Elements 10 Organizer is 890 MB.

4. Yes thankfully I have external drives available to assist in all this, I had just bought a 1TB WD Passport to undertake a total reorganizing and new approach.  I also have an Iomega external drive with 866 GB available. 

5.In reviewing directories just now, I discovered that my back ups at each camera download (at least in 2013 and some of 2012) have gone to a folder also on the C drive.  I would like to move that "back up folder" off of the C drive and onto an external drive, but won't do so until you say its ok.

6. Now Here's the odd part. It appears that all photos in each version 9 and 10 are in one catalogue in each version--I typically import into Elements from the C drive folder I would have downloaded shots from camera into under step 5 above.  My preferences in each case (9 and 10 version) instruct that Folder for saved files is to be Pictures/ Adobe subdirectory, but when I look in that folder it is largely empty. It appears that they have each saved back to the C folder described in #5 above. 

Hope this is helpful for you...

Barb K in Virginia

• 3. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues
              dj_paige Community Member

The vast majority of images are in a "pictures" folder, with subcategories generally (but not always) by year.  within each year are then subcategorized by date, each time I download from the camera I open a new "date" subfolder with a bit of suffix description.

Does this imply that you are not using the PSE Organizer to apply keywords or add captions or notes to your photos?

If it is correct, combining the catalogs would be simple. Please let us know.

• 4. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues
                barbkavs

not captions, but I do apply keywords and tags....

• 5. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues

Oh, in that case there's no easy way to merge catalogs.

Best you can do is select one catalog, select all photos, then File->Write tags ... and wait for that to finish.

Then open the other catalog and import those photos.

If you do this, you will lose collections, stacks, version sets and a few other things that I don't remember right now

• 6. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues
                    barbkavs

DJ, thanks for the help.  Is there some way to "check" to see if it successfully transferred all images?  and once I am done importing into one catalogue, do I just "uninstall" one version, or delete certains, or what?

• 7. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues

There is no way to check to see if you have all the photos, other than to check to see if you have all the photos. PSE won't do it for you.

Once you are sure you have everything in the PSE10 catalog, you can delete the old one, or just move it to a CD/DVD or external HD as a precaution/backup.

If you should ever get a new version of PSE in the future, you don't want to go to separate catalogs, you want to upgrade your current catalog to the new version of PSE, maintaining only one catalog in use.

• 8. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues
                        barbkavs

thanks, very helpful..........

• 9. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues
                          barbkavs

DJ, when I import into V10 from v 9 you said I would lose a few things, like stacks, version sets......but I don't lose the underlying set of images that constitute the whole version set, correct?

• 10. Re: Consolidate Elements 9 and 10 catalogues

You shouldn't lose any images