9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 11:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project

Davyxyz

I could only get V1 to work with Admin priviliges, otherwise it threw up the message "Adobe Premiere Elements has encountered a problem & needs to close"

So I have upgraded to V10, but now hit the same block even with users having admin priviledges.

Happens when I try to create a new project (when clicking OK after entering new details) or when trying to open an existing project.

When creating a new project the basic folders and files are created before the error message and crash.

I am using Windows XP SP3 with all latest updates.

So I can do nothing at all with PE10.

Error code is 0xc0000005

Flag 0x00000000

Record 0x000000000000000

Address 0x00000000196cd0a3

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Davyxyz

Are you using Premiere Elements on a one user home computer basis of a school or work network? I ask because you wrote "....same block with users having admin priviledges.?

Let us first look at your computer resources.

Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit

How much RAM is installed and how much available RAM? How much free hard drive space on the Local Disk C? What is the capacity of Local Disk C? Are you working with any internal or external supplemental hard drives? If so, how are they formatted?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

Have you verified that your video and audio card drivers are up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of those card, not just the Device Manager?

Please confirm the prior version of Premiere Elements that you were using...was that Premiere Elements 1?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, Premiere Elements is NOT designed to be used by anything other than an account with Administrator settings

• 3. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Davyxyz

As John T. Smith points out, Premiere Elements needs to be run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. But, as you pointed out earlier, you believe your Premiere Elements 10 is being run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. In that regard, what happens if you right click the Premiere Elements 10 desktop icon and select Run As Administrator? Does the problem remain?

ATR

• 4. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
                Davyxyz Level 1

Dear A.T., thanks for trying to help. Regarding your questions:

• the PC is a single-user machine on a small network. In accordance with Microsofts security recommendations, the working user account does not have administrator priviledges
                • 4Gb RAM of which 2.15Gb unused
                • 683Gb free space on C:
                • Two internal disks, formatted NTFS
                • Latest Quicktime installed
                • Previous version of Premiere Elements was v1

A bit more information on how it fails. Approximately 10 seconds after specifying a new project or giving details for a project to open I see a window informing me that a problem has been encountered and asking if I want to send details to Microsoft. I dont know if this is Adobe or Microsoft generated.  If I click on any option then Premiere Elements disappears and a window declares "MS Visual C++, Runtime Error!, Program c:\program files\A....,   R6030 - CRT not initialised

The Windows event log records "Faulting Adobe Premiere Elements.exe - faulting module display.dll version 6.0.0.0" I found display.dll in c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10 folder. So an Adobe dll is causing the problem?

So as you recommended, I updated the Intel G35 chipset driver, and that then allowed me to open create new projects and open old ones! Progress!

But, after doing some video editing, when trying to close Premiere Elements, it crashes with the same unexpected problem encountered error and the same C++ error. This time the Windows Event Viewer stated that the faulting file was Ig4dev32.dll - the new G35 chipset driver I had just installed.

So I can now create and work on projects but likely to lose my work unexpectedly!

• 5. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Davyxyz

Thanks for the follow up with the update on your results.

As far as I have ever known, Premiere Elements requires it to be run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

For troubleshooting purposes, could you create a temporary User Account with Administrative Privileges to prove or disprove this point as the cause of your present situation?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
                    Davyxyz Level 1

I would be amazed if Adobe created a business application that had to be run in a User Account that had administrative priviledges. Microsoft warn that it is very unsafe to do everyday working in an account that has administrative priviledges. Malware would be able to install software or even format the disk!

I know of no other recent software, either from Microsoft, Adobe or even from small companies that doesn't respect Microsofts advice on this.

On one of the Adobe help pages there is the information:

"Note: If you are still experiencing the problem, try creating an administrator user account and running the application from that account. Create a user account as described above, and change the account type to administrator. (If you do not have rights to create an administrator account, contact your system administrator (who in all the organisations I have worked in would refuse.) If the problem doesn't recur, your standard user account lacks access rights to files and folders the Adobe application requires. "

So the above suggests that Adobe believe that normally your user account does not need administrative priviledges, but try admin priviledges only if you are having a problem.

If I knew what access rights Premiere Elements needs to which folders, then I could grant access permission to the User Account without granting Administrative Priviledges.

• 7. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Davyxyz

Recap time.

Now that you have updated your video card driver, can we assume that the circumstances persist where you can continue in the project only if you are working from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

What happens if you right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 10 and select Run As Administrtor? Same issue?

Premiere Elements 10 desktop icon traces back to the Adobe Premiere Elements 10.exe file which has you opening to the Welcome Screen. Its Properties include an option to Run As Administrator. Premiere Elements 10 also has an Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file in the same location which has you bypass the Welcome Screen. Its Properties include an option to Run As Administrator.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
                        Davyxyz Level 1

As you requested, I have recently run PRE in accounts with and without admin priviledges and it has not crashed. But I think that the crashing is a bit random so I might have to use the application extensively before I know whether admin priviledges make a difference.

Adobe dont insist that the user must have admin priviledges, but if the user account is set up strangely, or file access permissions are odd, then adding admin priviledges should overcome that.

In all crashes, Windows Event Viewer points to a graphics driver file fail, originally Adobe's display.dll and then later the latest Intel lastest driver.

So the problem and the solution seems to revolve around graphic drivers.

• 9. Re: Encounters a Problem when creating or opening project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have an embedded Intel graphics chip as your only display adapter, then you might end up being handcuffed by Intel's lack of video driver support. They make good chips, but are horribly lax, regarding driver updates.

Some users, with Dells, HP's, Lenovos, and similar, have had better luck with the video drivers from the computer mfgr. However, with an older OS, you might well have reached the end of video drivers for that Intel chip. I have done so with my nVidia GTX 8800M, because I still have XP-Pro SP3 on this laptop - with that OS and that card, I am at the "end-of-life."

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have been running all of my Windows computers with an Administrator Account, going back to Win 3.1.1, and have never had an issue with security, though have always been behind a hardware firewall, and run both anti-virus and anti-malware software, except when I am editing a large Project. Then, I just have no Internet presence, and do not open any e-mails, until I am done.