2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2013 9:55 AM by A.T. Romano

Top clipped when I import a wmv video.  Please Help.

VideoEngineer?

When I import a wmv video into premier elements 9 the top part of the video is clipped.  The video plays fine externally with windows player, and plays in premier but the top is clipped.  This happens for any video I try to import.  The video properties are as follows...798 w x 480 h, 25 frames/sec, 1858 kbps.  I definitely need help with this one, as I cannot even start a project.

• 1. Re: Top clipped when I import a wmv video.  Please Help.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is caused by a recent Windows Update. Please see the Announcement at the top of this forum's main page for more details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Top clipped when I import a wmv video.  Please Help.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

VideoEngineer?

In case you are missing the Announcement, it should display

Announcement: Windows Update Causes Display to Be Blacked Out

MicroSoft has issued an Update for Windows, that is causing problems with Displays. The following is from Talbot McInnis, who tracked down this problem, and offers a fix:

"MS bulliten MS13-057.  Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821 is causing a problem

For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files.  Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall these windows updates to resolve your problem."

There are several threads on the problem that this Update is causing on the PrE and PrPro Forums, so one can get more details. So far, there is not another fix from either MS, or Adobe.

Also, see this Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/wmv-files-corrupted-import-or.h tml

There have been many, many threads on the subject..lots of helpful hints on the matter of deleting the offending Windows Update kb. Major points that were offered include:

a. for the present, set your Windows Updates so that you require notification for any downloading and installing of them.

b. if you catch the offending Windows Update kb in Windows Updates Important Updates, then right click that kb and select Hide...that is supposed to block it from further activity.

ATR

1 person found this helpful