9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 4:10 PM by Todd_Kopriva

RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC

BGPictures Level 1

AE CS 6 RAM Previews work, but two problems to report with AE CC on the same computer. Possibly two faces of the same problem.

1. Having QuickTime Player open while doing a RAM preview makes the RAM preview stutter. I quit the player, and now the RAM preview plays back without dropping a frame, though Info palate shows "fps: 24 (realtime)", but the RAM preview playback is slow: ie, a tenor sounds like a baritone.

2. A RAM preview that looked and sounded fine last night, is now playing back slowly (tenor sounds like a baritone), though Info Palate shows "fps: 24 (realtime)". I have no other applications open. The only thing that changed is that I quit AE, slept the computer, slept a little myself, and then launched AE. Trashing the cache files (manually), rebooting, relaunching and re-RAM-previewing creates a functional RAM preview, so I assume there is some problem with the cached files or the retrieval of them.

Is anyone else getting either of these? If so, what is your system configuration?

Also, I posted on another thread that Quicktime import/render works with AE CS6 on this computer, but AE CC can not import, play, or render QT reliably (without throwing error messages). Perhaps all of this is part of the same problem.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Benjamin

CS 6 CC | Mac OS 10.8.4 | MacPro5,1 | 96 GB Ram | PROJECT & MEDIA drive: Mercury Accelsior > 500 MB/s read/write | CACHE drive: Mercury Accelsior > 500 MB/s read/write | Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac | CUDA Driver: latest update | Wacom Intuos 5

• 1. Re: RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check your memory settings. There is a tendency to give AE way too much memory. It can only use as much memory as is required to build a frame of video. Ram previews use free memory not assigned memory. Also, if you are using RMFS (sometimes called MP rendering) Make sure that you have some processors used and some available for other apps.

• 2. Re: RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC
            BGPictures Level 1

96 GB RAM is  accessible in 10.8.4 on my machine according to OWC. I'm working on a stereoscopic 4K project with large files and hundreds of layers. I regurlarly render with AE MP while working with huge files in PS, and am glad to see the % of RAM AE uses displayed in my render cue between 3 and 60%.

I have 12 processors (24 with hyperthreading)

I have reserved 10 for other applications leaving 14 for After Effects

4 GB per x 14 = 56 GB for AE. leaving 40 GB for everything else

I've played with what and how much I have allocated being sure to keep the CPU counts even, but this does not fix the RAM preview problems described above. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Benjamin

• 3. Re: RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With 4K files you should be doing your ram previews with the viewer at 50% scale max. You're probably pushing the max data rate.

Also, how important is it to have the QT player open when you are looking at ram previews? I've been doing AE for so long that my usual workflow is to do low resolution motion test ram previews at 1/4 or 1/2 rez, check critical frames at full rez looking for details and color, then send the projects off to render. I seldom if ever ram preview an entire composition and I can't recall when the last full rez ram preview was required. Just a thought...

• 4. Re: RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Black Magic, AJA, or other third-party video hardware installed?

• 5. Re: RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC
                  BGPictures Level 1

Hi Todd. Thank you for reading this thread. No to Black Magic, AJA, or other third-party video hardware. (Unless you count the Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac which I purchased on Adobe's suggestion). Here is what I have:

CS 6 CC | Mac OS 10.8.4 | MacPro5,1 | 96 GB Ram | PROJECT & MEDIA drive: Mercury Accelsior > 500 MB/s read/write | CACHE drive: Mercury Accelsior > 500 MB/s read/write | Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac | CUDA Driver: latest update | Wacom Intuos 5

Also... an LED Cinema Display which you may remember caused audio errors in previous versions of After Effects until the AE patch was written.

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 6. Re: RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> CS 6 CC

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Are you using After Effects CC (12.0), or are you using After Effects CS6 (11.0)?

• 7. Re: RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC
                      BGPictures Level 1

Hi Rick. As I posted above, QT doesn't work reliably within AE on my system using AE CC (It Is fine with AE CS6) -- hence having QuickTime open to reference footage that has been converted to PNG sequences.

Also, I RAM preview at %50 or 25%.

As much as I appreciate your questions about my usage, please consider that these are problems I am experiencing with AE CC, and problems which I do not experience with AE CS6 on the very same machine.

Best Regards,

Benjamin

• 8. Re: RAM Preview Problems in After Effects CC
                        BGPictures Level 1

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Are you using After Effects CC (12.0), or are you using After Effects CS6 (11.0)?

Sorry for the confusion. I use the latest Creative Cloud version of After Effects. I have also started using my old version of After Effects CS6 to render out PNG sequences, as the CC version stopped behaving reliably with QT on my system. So the answer is that I use both. I let the Creative Cloud update both as well.