10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 1:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11

Santia558 Level 1

Hello. I am new to PrE and video editing in general.

I have video recorded where the Left (Ch1 mono) and Right (Ch2 mono) are seperate mono audio tracks...Ch1 is a feed from a wireless mic and Ch2 is a feed from a shotgun mic.

In this recorded form they are seperate when played back, Ch1 on Left and Ch2 on Right.

How in PrE 11 can I mix Ch1 mono & Ch2 mono to create a new merged mono audio track?

Then once merged, how can I duplicate this single merged mono track to playback on both the Left and Right channels?

Also if possible how can I lower the volume of the Ch1 (Left) mono audio prior to merging them so the volume levels can be equalized, as the current Ch1 (Left) audio is a bit louder than the Ch2 (Right)?

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

• 1. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Santia558

Here is my take on what you wrote.

If you have two mono audio tracks in your video file before import in Premiere Elements (any version), upon import into Premiere Elements they will be merged into one stream and be represented in the project as one audio file in Audio 1. You would have left channel mono and right channel mono.

You wrote

How in PrE 11 can I mix Ch1 mono & Ch2 mono to create a new merged mono audio track?

It would appear to me that the program is doing that for you when you import your source medium into the project.

Then you wrote

Also if possible how can I lower the volume of the Ch1 (Left) mono audio prior to merging them so the volume levels can be equalized, as the current Ch1 (Left) audio is a bit louder than the Ch2 (Right)?

You should be able to do that in Premiere Elements with audio effect Balance. Have you checked the description of the Audio Effects available to you in Premiere Elements 11?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS4B8135DA-083C-42eb-B09E-65070ECBC889. html#WSF8CBE888-6702-4f8b-A85E-71B4B1531883

What Premiere Elements cannot do for you, then check out the free audio editor Audacity.

Please let me know if I have interpreted your question correctly and/or need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
            Santia558 Level 1

Thanks for replying, but I don't think you fully understand what I am asking.

The program is interpreting the two mono audio tracks as stereo, since one track is recorded as the Left and one as the Right of a stereo track.

Currently after rendering my project to a final video the audio is still seperate, Ch1 playing on the left speaker only and Ch2 playing on the right speaker only.

What I need to do:

- First Ch1 (Left) is a bit lounder than Ch2 (Right), so I need to lessen the volume slightly.

- Finally, after adjusting the volume of Ch1, I want to mix the two channels evenly so that the mix of both plays out of both the left & right speakers after rendering through PrE.

• 3. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would probably do this work in an audio-editing program, such as Audition, or Audacity (that ATR mentioned above).

In the audio-editor, I would place two copies of that dual-mono 2-channel file onto the Timeline, and delete the Left-channel from one, and the Right-channel from the other, yielding two discrete mono 1-channel file for each Stream.

Then, I would adjust the Volume of the one that is lower, unti it matches the other.

Finally, I would then output those two Streams as a 2-channel file (I would choose PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit), which would be Imported into PrE, replacing the original Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
                Santia558 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions, but I played around and found an easy way to do it within PrE.

I added a new blank Audio track to my project.

I then "Alt-Clicked" the audio from my imported video already in my project to isolate and select only that audio and not the video part.

I then "Paste-Inserted" the copy of the audio to the end of my project.

I moved the pasted copy of the audio back to the begining of my timeline and into the new audio track I previosuly created.

Lastly I used the "Swap Channels" Audio Effect on this new audio track.

These steps above mixed the audio for me.

Playing with the Balance of each audio track I was able to volume-equalize the channels.

• 5. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Santia558

Great news. Glad you found the keys to get Premiere Elements to work for you for your specific requirements.

Congratulations on your success.

ATR

• 6. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

I was going to outline a PrE workflow, somewhat similar to yours, with duplicating the Audio, then adjusting the Balance for one to full Left, and the other to full Right, then letting the mix go to the stereo 2-channel master Audio, but got sidetracked. As I have Audition, and just normally use it, when the Audio gets much more complicated than just some Volume adjustment, I did not even think of the Swap Channels Effect - GOOD WORK!

Also, I more often use PrPro, which has the capability to do Sub-Mixes to separate, targeted Tracks, so my general Premiere workflow would not have worked the same, as in PrE.

Glad that you found a workflow that solved the issue, and you have piqued my interest to where I will now explore Swap Channels - thanks for that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
                      Erik RC Level 1

Hi,

I can't find the "Swap Channels" Audio Effect in Premiere Elements 12. Does anyone know where to find it?

Best,

Erik

• 8. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 (assumed on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit)

You need to be in the Expert workspace, not the Quick workspace.

fx Effects/Audio Effects/Swap Channels

SwapChannels.JPG

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Side Note.....If you have not already, good idea to install the 12.1 Update using the opened project's Help Menu/Update.

• 9. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
                          Erik RC Level 1

Thanks big time!

It worked great.

Cheers,

Erik

• 10. Re: Mixing Audio in Premiere Elements 11
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Erik

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that the suggestion worked for you.

Not all the features and options in Expert workspace are available in the Quick workspace.

But, any questions or need clarification, do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR