8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2013 10:22 PM by Todd_Kopriva

render is too slow

Arrakis Level 1

Ok before you send me to another website with render information. Im not a complete noob and I have read a lot of stuff about the best way to render etc already however, I have a 5 minute comp composed of many precomps. The entire project is made from still images with effects, lights,  camera moves etc.   But its taking 12 hours to do the final render. I have tried many different setting but it still my final render takes 12 hours?  Is this normal?

Also many times when Im working and I want to ram preview. I have both comp resolution and ram preview set to 1/4 and it will render very slowly sometimes it will stop and part of the green line turns blue. Then I have to try again and it just continues to do the same thing. Its very hard for me to check the work Ive done when I cant render it correctly.

Im a bit unsure about how I should be setup.  I noticed in prefs it says to use a separate drive for the disk cache. I did have it set to my macbook but it kept saying there was no room even though I had it set to 40 gigs.  So I moved it back to my lacie rugged firewire which is where my files are.

Mac book pro 10.8.4 16GB

2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7

SSD 

Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

AE CS6

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 9.42.45 AM.png

• 1. Re: render is too slow
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Considering you used the word "lights" -- the plural of "light" -- the render time could be just about right.  Render times soar with each additional light.  AE has a lot of calculating to do for a bunch of lights.

• 2. Re: render is too slow
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Dave says, 12 hours is not an unusual time for rendering a movie that is five minutes long with a lot of 3D content, especially on a computer with only a moderate amount of RAM and relatively slow CPUs like yours. It is not uncommon for more complex 3D content for each frame to take multiple minutes to render.

If you want longer RAM previews, then don't use Render Mutliple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. The background rendering processes use RAM, so it isn't available for storing cached frames for RAM previews. The blue line just means that items from the RAM cache are moving to disk cache.

FIreWire is not a fast enough connection to be useful for a disk cache. You want your disk cache on an internal drive or connected over something fast like USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.

• 3. Re: render is too slow
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

BTW, in case it isn't obvious: If you're concerned about render times, then you need a more powerful computer than a laptop.

• 4. Re: render is too slow
                Arrakis Level 1

I had a look and only using two lights but using lots of 3d components and effects.
                Yes a better computer would be good but for now its all I have and cant afford another.    My mac book doesnt have usb 3 and the thunderbolt port I use with an adaptor for a wacom tablet so I have to use usb 2 or firewire 800.

If I change the disk cache back to my computer again, where should I put it and why does it tell me there is not enough room?

I did actually try to research what would be the best option for my requirements and budget before I purchased my macbook pro and it was really hard to find any consistent and reliable information. So unfortunately one is left to ones own devices.   I ended up getting  a solid state drive with my mac book as I was told it would be better and compared to friends who dont have one it does seem to be much faster however 12 hours still seems excessive.  I have now been rendering for an hour and the render time is still 12 hours??  

Would spending more money on another computer really make a difference?  Im not sure I believe that advise.  The university I attend has the latest desktop macs in all the labs but I take my laptop in to work with because its faster!!

• 5. Re: render is too slow
                  Arrakis Level 1

Ok so been rendering for 2hr 17 min and render time is now 14hr!!   

• 6. Re: render is too slow
                    JaysonM-Y Level 3

Could you figure out why it doesn't want to set to your internal for Cache? Tried making a folder on your desktop and setting the cache directory to that? (probably has no bearing on your render times but just trying to figure that out at least)

• 7. Re: render is too slow
                      Arrakis Level 1

I can actually set it to my internal. Its just I keep getting a message saying not enough room and so I have to keep emptying it.

I have another question.  I watched a video about doing background render and how when its finished the render bar should be blue.  However mine isnt any colour.  I can scrub through ok but its not coloured.  Any idea why?

• 8. Re: render is too slow
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I think that you're misunderstanding the message that you're getting. What is the exact text of the error message that you're seeing?