20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2013 9:30 AM by indebttomyeyeballs

What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?

indebttomyeyeballs

I would like to make a high quality slideshow for uploading to Youtube as well as burning a DVD with the original photos on it as well. Will PrE support .tiff or png files or just jpeg? I made one already, resizing the photos and saving as jpeg and PrE automatically made it a small resolution video- something I don't want. I will be trying it with large sized photos in a new project (where I will pick the highest quality option) and letting PrE deal with the details to see if the finished product is any better - it pretty well has to be!! I spend a lot of time and energy with my photographs and having poor quality images showing in a video is counter-productive. I have watched Steve Grisetti's basic training but I already am very familiar with the program (extremely similiar to iMovie, which I have used a lot) but it did not address the issue I am having. I have read in other discussions that many other people have had similar results with their slideshows. Unfortunately the question most similar to my own was posted by someone shooting jpeg, not edited RAW files.

If there are free tutorials you know about that addresses this, I would be grateful for that information as well.

Thank you for your time

• 1. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
          nealeh Level 5

indebttomyeyeballs wrote:

I would like to make a high quality slideshow for uploading to Youtube

What resolution settings do you wish to use in your YouTube upload?

as well as burning a DVD with the original photos on it as well.

That will need to be a data DVD. If you burn a DVD-Video including your pictures then PRE will automatically scale your photos to the DVD-Video specification (720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL) i.e. around 0.4MP.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 2. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

indebuttomyeyeballs

Important: What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? And what do your computer resources look like? Are you working from a PAL or NTSC setup.

No matter how high the resolution of the source, as has been said and you have probably seen written and you probably have found, the end product will be characterized by the standard sizing for your choice of export....in your case, highest YouTube 1920 x 1080 16:9 and DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen 720 x 480 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 (PAL).

Working with source oversized for the project has not improved the end product quality and for many has led to problems in the workflow. However, I have found that you can stretch the classical recommendations about photo sizing for this type of project if you have Premiere Elements 10 or 11. But that is not a generalization. It depends on a lot of factors, including computer resources and number of photos involved and the extent of the photo oversizing. You need to define your own limits.

What I would like you to try is the following.

1. Premiere Elements project preset. NTSC DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 or its PAL counterpart.

2. Import your "large sized" jpg photos.

3. Export (defails pending version identification)....same Timeline content

First...YouTube 1920 x 1080 preset

Afterward...DVD-VIDEO Widescreen (please note and report burn quality area Space Required and Bitrate with and without "Fit Content To Available Space" having a check mark next to it.)

If your setup can handle that without import, editing, or export issues, go with it. If not, then address

Resizing your photos not to exceed about 2200 x 1238 pixels 16:9 for HD (close enough to 1920 x 1080 and allows for some pan and zoom) or go for 1920 x 1080. But keep in mind the distinction between cropping and resizing. If you are going from 4:3 to 4:3 OR 16:9 to 16:9, then resizing would be indicated. But if you are going from 4:3 to 16:9, you may have to crop resize to get the image view that you want. Batch resizing can be done with Photoshop Elements, not batch cropping. Some use the free IrfanView for the batch cropping and resizing.

You may also want to look at any differences between importing these "large sized" photos into a project where Edit Menu/Preferences/General has "Default Scale to Frame Size" checked and unchecked. In the later case, you do the scaling yourself in the Edit Mode Monitor.

We will look forward to all details of your setup as well as your results with your large sized photos and end product quality issues.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
              indebttomyeyeballs Level 1

Thank you for trying to help. I do not, however, wish to use jpeg. The compression of videos by using jpeg and Youtube ends up in a bit of a horrible mess - think VCR's highest quality - after resizing and uploading. I really only need to know which file types garner the greatest success, without me having to experiment with each and every one.

I resized my 'large files' from a DSLR (7D) which, of course, are in the area of 5100x3200 - large size. I saved it as the highest jpeg after resizing to my only option which was 2000x1333 (advice given to me for high res photos) and the quality was down so much from the original I need to try something different.

I followed advice(from here) to let PrE 11 make the choice of project preset and it chose badly. I want my slideshow to be top quality widescreen yet it chose one that results in a small photo surrounded by black. Not good.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I am looking for the appropriate file type to use with my high res photos that I edit from RAW. I have tried jpeg already and was not happy. I would like to know which type to use to get the best result from both of these tasks - Youtube video and DVD (I was aware, from reading here, about the Data DVD method )

I looked up a sort of answer from Adobe about PrE11, which confused me a bit more as I have not come across this information here. Apparently everything from the 'save as' menu is viable except for .tiff files. But that is where the confusion comes in - I apparently can import RAW files.... ?? So, if I can import a file that big, why am I being told to use jpeg by every bit of advice I have gathered from various sources? Jpeg is fine for web viewing of an image on a image sharing site but if going to print needs a high quality file such as .tiff, then logic dictates a DVD would need the same or almost as good.

Maybe I am applying logic in the wrong place?

Thanks again

• 5. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

indebttomyeyeballs

I am not pushing jpeg, but I do get excellent results with it, especially with those that have not been subjected to repeated Save As. But the jpegs were not derived from RAW.

It seems a quick and important matter to do a mini test run to see what works for you with regard to file type for your image.

However, I would ask "Have you explored just importing the RAW image?" Premiere Elements 11 will support that format if you have the appropriate Camera Raw version installed on you computer. At least one has avocated its use as is in these Premiere Elements 11 projects. I am not sure how many your project will allow under the circumstances of your computer environment. But worth a look?

I am not sure where you picked up the information to "depend" on the project preset automatically set by Premiere Elements. I have long written about its shortcomings and have suggested verification of the program's set via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. And, if necessary, setting the project preset manually via File Menu/New/Project before importing source media into the project.

Please let us know what issues you run into using the RAW file itself for the Premiere Elements 11 project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                    whsprague Level 4

Unfortunately the question most similar to my own was posted by someone shooting jpeg, not edited RAW files.

Thank you for your time

Making "slide shows" for YouTube is a complex process.  If you are as old as I am, you expect slideshows to look like what was produced by a stack of Kodak Carousels projected on a screen with fades and dissolves.  Kodak quit making those a few years before they filed for financial protection.  To get a YouTube to do that takes less equipment but more work.

I find Premier Elements to be a wonderful tool for travel slide shows because it is so versatile and I have it.  With a lot of Internet reading I've found other ways to do it.  It seems that for "pure" slideshow favorites include "ProShow Producer"  and "PhotoStage Slideshow".  I stick with PrE because I like it a lot.

Supported photo formats for import are:  Adobe Photoshop® (.psd);  Adobe Premiere Elements title (.prtl), Bitmap (.bmp, .dib, .rle);  CompuServe GIF® (.gif), JPEG® (.jpg, .jpe, .jpeg, .gif);  Pixar Picture (.pxr);  Portable Network Graphic (.png); and  RAW (.raw, .raf, .crw, .cr2, .mrw, .nef, .orf, .dng).

You can view a finished sample of what I do here:  https://vimeo.com/64474485

You wrote "edited RAW files".  There is no such thing.  Only cameras can make RAW files.

RAW formats are confusing.  You can only make changes and save them as something else, including .jpg.  For example, Lightroom makes and keeps a catalog of changes that are applied when printed or "exported" to some other format.  There is not a "Save" or "Save As.." command anywhere.  Photoshop Elements, and other common photo editors, have to open RAW with a "translator" like ACR (Adobe Camera RAW).  Then it will allow "Save as..." to several formats other than RAW.  Some are "lossy" like .jpg and others are "lossless" like .tiff and .dng.

Premier Elements 11 accepts several file formats, including RAW.  The catch with RAW is that, by definition, it will be the un-edited, camera produced, original.  It will not even have the in camera adjustments done to make the photo visible on the camera preview screen.  PrE will run the RAW file through the "ACR" translator, but without offering any of the ACR slider controls.  It is done invisibly to the user.  You can still use the Adjust controls on RAW images as necessary, but with limits.

When I make a "slide show" with all RAW photos, I start the project with a personal "cheat".  I make sure the first item used on the timeline is a AVCHD 2.0 1080p60 clip.  It sets the project up for what I believe is the highest possible quality of the equipment I own.  May delete the clip once the project is underway if I don't need it.  There is a way to force it manually, but for me, my way is the easiest.

(Note that I have what I believe to be a "strong" computer.  All the parts are big and fast.  I have not run into "resource limits" on any project --- yet!  It does not seem to care if the photo files are huge and numerous.)

The above Vimeo sample is even more complicated.  It is a mix of a few HD video clips and lots of photos, all with Pan and Zoom.  The still photos started life as three RAW bracketed exposures, cataloged in Lightroom, and were given HDR processing in a Nik plug-in and saved to "lossless" .tif format files.  The .dng files were brought into the PrE project with "Add Media" and managed like video clips.

Finishing a slide show is a complicated subject in itself.  To "get it" you have to understand how the viewer expects to watch it.  The day of one format for all disappeared some time ago.  If you make DVDs for DVD players your quality will drop to old Standard Definition fuzzyness.  Uploading to YouTube (or Vimeo) requires knowing what they expect.  Both will accept a lot, but will process what you send to their own standards.  If you want the best possible for display on the family Big Screen, that's another selection of possible formats, depending on method of playback.

Good luck! 

• 7. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                      nealeh Level 5

PRE11 DOES support tiff (which is a lossless format) and Adobes own psd format. If you are keen to use lossless but don't want to use your raw files then those are the two routes to go.

logic dictates a DVD would need the same or almost as good.

Maybe I am applying logic in the wrong place?

Your logic is wrong. As mentioned earlier DVD standards are around 0.4MP, compared to the 16MP of your 7D. So if you drag one of those stills to your timeline then, at render, PRE will downsize them (by a factor of 40) for a DVD-Video.

You are better doing this downsizing in a photo editing package (e.g. Photoshop Elements) as this gives you control over the resizing algorithms used. PRE resizing algorithms are generally considered crude by comparison.

Note that even if you thought of going to Blu-ray rather than DVD then the standard is 2MP so you will still be downsizing by a factor of 8.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                        whsprague Level 4

nealeh wrote:

Your logic is wrong.

My logic is based on simplicity of work flow and subject to overall computer strength.

If a photo, in any file format, is good enough for my project, I simply "Add media" without any preprocessing steps.  If it is not "good enough" the work may include PE, Lightroom, HDR Nik or Topaz "adjustments".  (Burning and dodging in rooms with dim yellow lights used to be my only tools!)

Since my overall computer strength is high, I don't find any advantage to the traditional step of resizing for its own sake.  It does not save me time.  It does get me into arguments with people that have been editing video a long time and had to live through weaker computers!

• 9. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                          nealeh Level 5

It's not an issue of computer power, but the quality of the resizing algorithms. All I can suggest is that you take some of your stills and resize them in PE or any of your other photo editing software to 720 x 480 using Bicubic Sharper.  Add both the original and resized versions to your timeline then share them  to DVD and judge for yourself if there are any quality differences between the two versions. I suggest you do this judgement test on a real TV with a DVD player. Previewing DVD's on high resolution monitors can give misleading impressions.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                            whsprague Level 4

nealeh wrote:

It's not an issue of computer power, but the quality of the resizing algorithms. All I can suggest is that you take some of your stills and resize them in PE or any of your other photo editing software to 720 x 480 using Bicubic Sharper.  Add both the original and resized versions to your timeline then share them  to DVD and judge for yourself if there are any quality differences between the two versions. I suggest you do this judgement test on a real TV with a DVD player. Previewing DVD's on high resolution monitors can give misleading impressions.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

Months ago, I was motivated to do exactly that as a result of "lively discussions" here with Bill Hunt, Steve Grissetti and others.  Perhaps you as well. 

I tried every suggestion posted, including Bicubic Sharper, and posted short resulting "test videos" to YouTube and Vimeo with options to download originals.   I spent days on it. 

The threads were prettly long.  By the time I posted my "tests" interest seemed to wane and nobody responded.  With lack of interest, I've removed the test videos from my YouTube and Vimeo accounts.

All was not lost because I learned more than I expected about files, formats and rendering.

My theory remains that, with enough computer strength and current versions of software, traditional resizing leads to minimal improvement in picture quality (if any) and no improvement in processing speed.  I further theorize that later versions of PrE has good "resizing alogorithims".   My first clue was when I updated ACR for PE and the Adobe updater reported it had convienently updated ACR for both PrE and PE 11.  I asked myself, "What's with ACR in PrE for?"  It seems to be a secret within the Adobe programming shops as to how it works.

I am new at video stuff.  I started with a AVCHD 1080p60 SD card camcorder and PrE9.  So, that makes about 3 years with never having to deal with any other formats.  One fun series of discussions here was primarily with Steve G.  I kept trying to demonstrate that PrE 9 and 10 would successfully edit 1080p60 AVCHD.  The short version is that I found a project preset that worked, even on my slower laptop.  I posted results and the reply was always that it "is not supported".  PrE11 put all that to rest.

It seems similar with slideshow discussions.  As a newbie, I didn't know my wonderful PrE software wouldn't do it.  I have no traditional video habits or experience.  So, I made slideshows with RAW photos from a new Sony RX100 only to find out it was "not supported" with out resizing or other preprocessing.  Except, it worked fine.

If you lived nearby, I would have you over for a pint and show you how well RAW photos work. 

Best...

Bill

• 11. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am also not a fan of JPEG Image compression, and only use it, when the client absolutely needs JPEG.

I do my Image editing in Photoshop, but Photoshop Elements works well too. When I am done editing, I Save_As PSD, the native format of Ps/PsE, and those work just fine.

If I am either going to PrE, or will not need to animate my Layers separately (in PrPro ONLY), I will Flatten any Layered Images, prior to the Save_As, though I usually will also Save a Layered PSD, in case I need to do additional editing with those Layers, at another time.

The PSD's Import perfectly into Premiere, and I like the results better.

Because PrE will handle Camera RAW files *, such as produced by your Canon, many just Import those Camera RAW files, and allow PrE to Scale (if one has a powerful enough computer, and not all that many Still Images), and also do Image processing. However, I always process my NEF (Nikon's Camera RAW) files through Photoshop anyway, the PSD route is easiest for me.

* Provided that one has the necessary ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) module. As a side note, be aware that to use the latest ACR module, they will need a version of PrE, that supports that - same for Photoshop and Lightroom. Adobe issues ACR updates often, as new cameras are introduced, and as the mfgr's. Camera RAW specs. change, and at some point, the newest one will no longer work in older host programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                                whsprague Level 4

Bill Hunt wrote:

Adobe issues ACR updates often, as new cameras are introduced, and as the mfgr's. Camera RAW specs. change, and at some point, the newest one will no longer work in older host programs.

Also affectionately known as the "Adobe Tax" on buyers of the newest, latest and greatest camera models!

• 13. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. That is a "side-effect."

We see that often on the Photoshop Forum, where a user has an older version of Ps, but a brand new camera. They rush for the latest version of ACR, when released, only to find that their old Ps host program cannot install and use it.

There are a couple of possibilities:

• Update Ps to a version that WILL accept that newer ACR module
                                  • Use Lightroom (much cheaper than even an update to Ps)
                                  • Use PsElements (much cheaper than even an update to Ps)
                                  • Use Adobe's free DNG converter for the Camera RAW files
                                  • Use another program, like Curious Software's ThumbsPlus, which lacks much of the power of Ps, but does have frequent updates to their version of the Camera RAW module.

Hunt

• 14. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                                    nealeh Level 5

Bill, I hadn't spotted in my earlier reply that it was you and not the original poster that had replied. In fact (s)he has not replied since post 4.

I stand by my original suggestion to indebttomyeyeballs in reply 4 that if (s)he does not want to use jpeg or raw then tiff / psd is the route to go.  And that (s)he should do the same test as you using both the original full size version and a resized version. If (s)he, like you, finds that PRE performs a good automatic resize of the original image then his/her question is answered.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?
                                      whsprague Level 4

nealeh wrote:

1.  (s)he does not want to use jpeg or raw then tiff / psd is the route to go. 

2.  If (s)he...finds that PRE performs a good automatic resize of the original image then his/her question is answered.

1.  Agreed.

2.  Agreed.

Bill

• 16. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?

Thank you for replying. I did check out Adobe's help page and found the supported files list. I am aware that RAW files are digital negatives - it was simply easier to say it that way to denote the size and type of photo files I was talking about. That said, I think I will go the psd route as I want to use photos I have edited in PE 11 before I import them. I did read elswhere about your 'cheat' to ensure highest quality for mixed media videos and I will utilize that technique when I do that.

I have more experience using iMovie with images made from a Sony that shoots jpeg. I tried to follow the 'rules' for making a video in PrE11 but am not happy with the results at all.

I am in a bit of a rush because I have an assignment due (slideshow) and my mother is ill and I need to get the DVD done ASAP. I am simply going to throw something together on a wing and a prayer with psd files and no resizing.

Thanks again and I may need to pick your brain later on as you seem to have more success 'cheating' than I did following the rules

• 17. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?

Thank you, I think psd is the way for me to go as well. I appreciate your help

• 18. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?

That is exactly how I made the first video, including Bicubic Sharper, and the results are not good enough. I didn't play it on my digital tv but on my iMac, my iPhone and my iPad. In each instance the quality was on par with VCR's when they first hit the market... yes, I am old enough to know what they looked like

Thanks!

• 19. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?

Thank you - I will try that. I am running PE11 and PrE11 on a iMac with plenty of power and memory so I am hopeful for better results this time.

Thank you everyone for your help - sorry if it seemed like I wasn't reading and paying attention. Like I said, one of the reasons for doing this is my mother is ill, dying, and I would like to get these done so she can see them. She got home from the hospital yesterday hence the unintended rudeness of a tardy response.

Grateful to you all and I hope to rely upon such great help in the future ( I know I will need it )

Michelle

• 20. Re: What file type should I be using to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements using photos from a DSLR?

I did read about importing RAW but I don't think I want to go that route. I think I will try un-resized psd files and see what happens.

I watched Steve Grisetti's basic training video for PrE11 hoping to find the answer that way and he stated that PrE does a good job at choosing the preset without the user having to do it. He then stated he shows how to choose in his book. I automatically allowed it to choose as there didn't seem to be an obvious way to do so and the other tutorial videos I have watched did not cover that. Like I stated elsewhere, my experience is with iMovie and that is one of the first things you are prompted to do - choose the format of your project. I came across Steve Grisetti's videos after the fact but the results would have been the same - I would have followed his advice.

Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to let you know the results