15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 7:45 AM by Jim_Simon

I have Group issues!

shooternz Level 6

Wondering if anyone else has an issue with "Group' command or can verify this.

When a group of clips is designated a Group...I expect it to behave like a group..but it doesnt  in certain circumstances.

It can be dragged around like a group but when one wishes to edit the group of clips...one has to select them all (lasso them)  before it behaves like a group(should)

eg. You want to trim the head or tail of a group (stack) of clips. 

Unless you select them the Trim Modes only attach to a single clip in the stack.

Select them all and the Trim Mode attachs to them all ..allowing  ione to edit them all simultaneously.

Was the same in CS6 and I just forgot to have a whinge about it then.  Today I am working with  a lot of grouped clips and its driving me insane! 

• 1. Re: I have Group issues!
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I suppose the reason I never noticed is that I nest the clips rather than grouping them. I think I started doing that in CS6.

It is easier than it used to be to just select some clips and right click, selecting Nest instead of Group. If I want to edit I just doubleclick and I find myself in the nested sequence, able to edit as required.

But yes, it appears to work the way you describe it.

How should group be different than Nest? Should it be just like a nest only you see all the clips? If so, I wouldn't argue the issue, but it seems like Nesting already does what you want.

• 2. Re: I have Group issues!
            shooternz Level 6

Nesting would be fine but I need to work with the components of the group before I get to the stage of nesting.

Yes ..the new version also allows one to work with a nest expanded or contracted one still has to build the components and that was the stage I was at.

• 3. Re: I have Group issues!
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I don't stack a lot of video very often, so I guess it never came up.

I guess selecting it all would be an annoying step if you do it often enough,

• 4. Re: I have Group issues!
                shooternz Level 6

I do it a lot because there are usually a lot of graphics over video in TVCs.

Add in adj layers, transparent video fx,

Its a real pain  when a group is not a group and working with nests doesnt quite do the same thing.

• 5. Re: I have Group issues!
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Makes sense.

• 6. Re: I have Group issues!
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm seeing the same behavior, but I'd suggest this is by design and actually desirable.  You get the ability to trim both the individual clips of the group, or the entire group by selecting it first.  What I believe you're asking for would eliminate the first option.

However, you don't need to lasso them to select them, just click on any one of the clips and the entire group is selected.  The D shortcut also works if all tracks are targeted and the clip is under the CTI.

• 7. Re: I have Group issues!
                      shooternz Level 6

I dont find it desireable but am obliged to work around it.

I group stuff for a reason and expect it to behave as a group.

Dont see this changing evr  because its probably tied into many parts of the Edit and Trim Modes and selection of them.

Yes, thanx... I realise there are a number of ways of selecting the so called group.

• 8. Re: I have Group issues!
                        BobPatrick

GROUP command not working in Premiere CC on Windows 8.

When I "group" a set of clips on the timeline, the command sub menu reflects the action ("group" is grayed-out and only "ungroup" remains as an option) but the clips still do not move together as a group. 

I ungroup and group again, but still it is as though the command never existed. Each affected clip indicates it is part of a group, but no clips act that way. Each moves independently.

This happens with video clips, audio clips, or nested sequences, regardless the number of clips involved.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled CC, to no avail.  Same problem on old projects and new test projects. 

The Group command works as expected in my earlier version of Premiere CS6.

I understand the differences between nest and group.

Any ideas? 

Thanks.

Thanks for your input.

• 9. Re: I have Group issues!
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

It's working fine here with CC under Windows 8.  Can you show us the behavior you're seeing?

• 10. Re: I have Group issues!
                            BobPatrick Level 1

Thanks for your quick response.

See this link: https://vimeo.com/88611425  (no audio)

It's a screen recording during which I unsuccessfully attempt to group a number of audio and video clips, but they still act as individual clips.

The right-click menu shows they're grouped ("group" is grayed out), but they don't move as a group.  Ungrouping and grouping again has no effect.

Dell Desktop running Windows 8.1.

Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4GHz  3.40 GHz.  8.0 GB Ram. 64bit OS.

Thanks!

• 11. Re: I have Group issues!
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't Group clips next to each other on the same track, only above and below on different tracks.  What you want is a nest.  Select all the clips and right click>Nest.

• 12. Re: I have Group issues!
                                Trevor.Hunsberger

You need to toggle the "Linked Selection" button (see picture) once on the grouped and/or linked clips will move together.

adobe1.jpg

• 13. Re: I have Group issues!
                                  BobPatrick Level 1

Trevor --- you solved my mystery!   Toggling that button immediately resolved my issue.    (I've removed the video example I posted of the problem)

Jim Simon --- Contrary to your comment, one CAN group clips next to each other on the same track .    In my test, this applies to video AND audio clips.   (This ability to group is independent different from the NEST command.)

My thanks to BOTH of you for your quick analysis and replies.

I'm now impressed even more with the Adobe Community Forum and support!

Much appreciation.

• 14. Re: I have Group issues!
                                    Trevor.Hunsberger Level 1

No problem, Dont you just hate it when its one little button

• 15. Re: I have Group issues!
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Well how 'bout that!