10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 11:11 AM by LanaBrad

Ungroup items

LanaBrad

I have a page in Indesign with two tables and some text. I hit the direct selection tool and the group/ungroup options are grey. I can not seem to isolate the one table to change it. It appears as though it is grouped to the text and other table. Please help.

• 1. Re: Ungroup items
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Tables can only exists in a text frame. What exactly are you trying to

do here?

• 2. Re: Ungroup items
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There a a number of possibilities. It may be one table threaded through multiple frames, or some combination of nesting and/or anchoring. Not sure how you want to alter the table, or why you're going at it with the direct selection tool. To edit  the table in just about any way, you'll need to get a live insertion point, either by clicking in a cell with the Text tool, or double clicking with the Selection tool. From there, you can edit text, or select cells/rows/columns/ranges for editing.

• 3. Re: Ungroup items
              LanaBrad Level 1

Thanks Bob and John. I am actually trying to take the second table and shift the whole table to the left, since I added a column in a table edit. Now I want to center the second table on the page, but the whole page moves with it.

• 4. Re: Ungroup items
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The table position is controlled byt he paragraph alignment chosen for the paragraph that contains it.

• 5. Re: Ungroup items
                  LanaBrad Level 1

My problem seems to be that I can't get to the paragraph that contains it. When i click on the table with either select tool or direct select, I only get a box around the entire page including another table and a box of text. I can't seem to isolate the table or the text box that contains it. Yet, when I click on the grouped items, I don't get the choice to ungroup them.

• 6. Re: Ungroup items

It's not a group. Tables are essentially a single character in the text flow (though you can access the text inthe inidividaul cells). You need to use the text tool to put the cursor in the text on either side of the table.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Ungroup items
                      John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A table lives on a line (paragraph) within a text frame which may or may not contain other text before/after the table. It sounds like the table you want to move sits in a text frame that covers the entire page, and contains other tables and text. To move it left/right, you must treat it like a paragraph. With the Text tool click to the left or right of the table (if you triple-click, you'll select the paragraph which the table inhabits), then use paragraph alignment commands to left, center, or right-align the table.

Untitled-2.jpg

• 8. Re: Ungroup items
                        LanaBrad Level 1

Ok just one more question if the table takes up the entire width of the text frame how do I widen the text frame to add columns to the table and keep them centered within the text box.

• 9. Re: Ungroup items

You may not need to. Tables are pretty unique in that thay don't respect the frame bounds of the frame that contains them, so if the paragraph that holds the table is center-aligned making the table wider will eventually cause it to extend beyond the left and right frame edges. If you make the frame wider, all of your text in that frame is going to reflow along with any text in following frames that are threaded to it.

• 10. Re: Ungroup items
                            LanaBrad Level 1

Thank you i think I got it right!